• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What are your birds eating today?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any cooking method is fine. You'll have more nutritional loss with boiling (that's true of all all veggies). I usually bake or microwave.

No oil needed

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Any cooking method is fine. You'll have more nutritional loss with boiling (that's true of all all veggies). I usually bake or microwave.

No oil needed
Thank you if i microwave how long for skin on off

Winn

Jogging around the block
I’ve bought sweet potatoes what do I do with them boil mash or fingers in oven or both ? Taking it I don’t put oil on if I cook in oven ?
I usually peel them, cut into chunks or "fingers" or "coins" and boil them in the microwave or on the stovetop. I've also steamed them in the oven by adding a little water to a baking dish and covering the dish with a lid or foil. I don't use oil if they're for the birds.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I usually peel them, cut into chunks or "fingers" or "coins" and boil them in the microwave or on the stovetop. I've also steamed them in the oven by adding a little water to a baking dish and covering the dish with a lid or foil. I don't use oil if they're for the birds.
Thank you I might try steaming them

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you if i microwave how long for skin on off
I leave the skin on, and cut it up into smaller pieces... usually for a 1 inch thick coin I do about 30-60 seconds. Just enough to make it not so firm.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I leave the skin on and do them in the oven- our (Burt and me) favourite way to do them for best flavour and texture.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I leave the skin on and do them in the oven- our (Burt and me) favourite way to do them for best flavour and texture.
How long do you cook them in oven for ? I’ve never tried sweet potato haha or cooked it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I chuck them in whole on 180C and with the size we get they’re usually done in 30-45 mins. I test them with a skewer- if done well they’re nice and soft. Burt won’t eat them any other way I do them unless I make chips or mash from it, we tried the micro a few times with directions given here but the texture is weird.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I chuck them in whole on 180C and with the size we get they’re usually done in 30-45 mins. I test them with a skewer- if done well they’re nice and soft. Burt won’t eat them any other way I do them unless I make chips or mash from it, we tried the micro a few times with directions given here but the texture is weird.
Going to try this tomos thank you

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dinner! They get a scrambled or boiled egg between all of them maybe 2-3 times a month. Some chop, Birdie bread and fresh basil.
5C6AB6C9-F1B5-4E75-85EE-E1597408D9D9.jpeg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I caved to Q and the budgies and did chop again :rolleyes: I am glad Nautilus like his Not chop!
This is Quarter's
20230320_093236.jpg

Winn

Jogging around the block
I added bird bread (pellet-based from a recipe I found on AA) to the veggie plate for this evening's snack. This is the first time I've offered it. The flock side-eyed it from afar for half an hour. I left for a couple of hours and came back to find it tossed from the plate with no evidence they even nibbled it. At least they ate some of their veggies.:bored:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
These posts are so cute! Three basic breakfast veggies; largest is for the lion head bunny, medium is for the Henrietta pigeon and smallest is for Pitchounette the GCC. I love the plates of food @Emma&pico ; I’ll try that for fun.

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
It is a good thing that we are posting only what we feed our animals, and not making a comparison to what we feed ourselves or children or this would be an embarrassing exercise for me (as I bake pepperoni pizzas for my children lol).

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
It is a good thing that we are posting only what we feed our animals, and not making a comparison to what we feed ourselves or children or this would be an embarrassing exercise for me (as I bake pepperoni pizzas for my children lol).
No one wants to know what I eat...:o:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
These posts are so cute! Three basic breakfast veggies; largest is for the lion head bunny, medium is for the Henrietta pigeon and smallest is for Pitchounette the GCC. I love the plates of food @Emma&pico ; I’ll try that for fun.
They look amazing

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My daughter loves what she calls a naughty tea super noodles pringles or Doritos n dip and sweets and chocolate obviously doesn’t get it much :rofl:

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Fresh chop just made and hitting some bowls. Broccoli, carrot, green beans, and zucchini.
89B239FD-D7E7-40C1-BB35-9C8BE419A8E8.jpeg