• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What are your birds eating today?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Forgot to thaw anything out. Woops! So today I'm leaning heavily into my dry food stash!

Volkman Soak and Serve, Lil Birds Sprout Mix by Sprout People, a little bit of freeze dried chop from Texas Natural Freeze Dried, and Ripley gets an Avian Zen cookie (supposed to help with hormones, no idea if it will lol)

PXL_20230422_141007633.jpg

Winn

Jogging around the block
Yesterday evening was going to be "chunky chop". I had to go with a little fresh veg and pellets instead.

Today I will make sure to not leave the bird bowl on the table while I wash their water bowl.

Meet the "I'm a pretty bird too" culprit:
IMG_20230421_221933.jpg
Lucy

She also is quick to grab a Nutriberry if I drop one and to shred the paper balls I make for the birds if she can get them.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
At long last…no, Harrison’s doesn’t have a rice only diet. They have a mash that excludes peanuts. That’s it for now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
How do you guys get your birds to eat this I been making different chops for them and the only thing they want is eggs nothing else and I need trying different stuff all the time and different ways of making it and nothing and my girl cockatiel just laid 5 eggs and I’m wondering how she is going to feed the babies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How do you guys get your birds to eat this I been making different chops for them and the only thing they want is eggs nothing else and I need trying different stuff all the time and different ways of making it and nothing and my girl cockatiel just laid 5 eggs and I’m wondering how she is going to feed the babies.
I just keep offering ;) it doesn't always get eaten but they have the choice. Took about 3 years for my Jardine's to eat any fresh foods.

I rely mostly on pellets as the bulk of the diet.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
This photo I took last night through the cage bars of Bobo and his bowl o'sprouts cracked me up.

IMG_3826.jpeg

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
I just keep offering ;) it doesn't always get eaten but they have the choice. Took about 3 years for my Jardine's to eat any fresh foods.

I rely mostly on pellets as the bulk of the diet.
Yea i been and in different ways.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yea i been and in different ways.
This may help: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips

Sometimes if my Jardine's stops eating fresh food I give him a break for a few days to a week before giving him it again.

I also had the most luck with giving large pieces of food.

Soaked seeds are often a good intro to fresh foods, then you can also try sprouts.

You can also try cooked foods, freeze dried, dehydrated, etc

But, all birds are different! What works for one might not work for another. My Quaker the best thing for him was letting him "steal" food off my plate. They often really like what we are eating, so if we can share healthy foods with them, that can help a lot! In the wild they would follow the lead of their flock to learn what is food. In our homes, that is us :)

Janeen0416

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janeen
This may help: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips

Sometimes if my Jardine's stops eating fresh food I give him a break for a few days to a week before giving him it again.

I also had the most luck with giving large pieces of food.

Soaked seeds are often a good intro to fresh foods, then you can also try sprouts.

You can also try cooked foods, freeze dried, dehydrated, etc

But, all birds are different! What works for one might not work for another. My Quaker the best thing for him was letting him "steal" food off my plate. They often really like what we are eating, so if we can share healthy foods with them, that can help a lot! In the wild they would follow the lead of their flock to learn what is food. In our homes, that is us :)
Thank you

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have found an onion free dehydrated vegetable mix, but it’s a bit spendy. $24 for 17.6 oz on Amazon, this is Yimi dried vegetable soup blend.

i am still looking for the perfect healthy instant meal for me and my birds.

but today they’re going to have jalapeño pepper and seeds and any other veggie that is cookable from my fridge. I’m not sure what the fridge holds right now.
207D2637-5945-4C4B-9F1C-66D25D96469B.png

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I have found an onion free dehydrated vegetable mix, but it’s a bit spendy. $24 for 17.6 oz on Amazon, this is Yimi dried vegetable soup blend.

i am still looking for the perfect healthy instant meal for me and my birds.
Are you in the US? Christine's Chop Shop (a different Christine - not me!) Christine's Chop Shop has some great blends. My birds love the Daily Maintenance blend...they eat it right out of the package, but you can add some water to soften it as well, and she also has a soak and serve blend, as well as a bunch of other products. She's local to me here in Phoenix, but she ships.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
$24 for over a pound of freeze dried mix is actually a pretty good price!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
$24 for over a pound of freeze dried mix is actually a pretty good price!
You just need to be sure that the mix you choose doesn’t have onions, leeks, or garlic. Basically no alliums. That’s hard to find.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You just need to be sure that the mix you choose doesn’t have onions, leeks, or garlic. Basically no alliums. That’s hard to find.
It is :) That's why I tend to stick to the bird centric blends, but they tend to be more expensive

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
It is :) That's why I tend to stick to the bird centric blends, but they tend to be more expensive
Well, that yimi’s dried vegetable soup mix has no alliums.

Would you mix it in with pellets asks feed it dry, or would you rehydrate it with boiling water in a covered bowl?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, that yimi’s dried vegetable soup mix has no alliums.

Would you mix it in with pellets asks feed it dry, or would you rehydrate it with boiling water in a covered bowl?
Depends on what your bird prefers. Mine won't eat it dry. I usually just use hot tap water for a few minutes for freeze dried. Dehydrated takes longer