• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are they

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
You have a cockatiel? Those look like cotton threads cut up. Could they have gotten something stuck on their wing??

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You have a cockatiel? Those look like cotton threads cut up. Could they have gotten something stuck on their wing??
I have to agree. The pieces look stranded, like chopped up string. It certainly doesn't look like normal down feathers.
If you can't see a cause for this then I think you should see a vet. These are not normally formed feathers or sheaths.

Jogging around the block
I agree with the others. I don't know much about what cockatiel feathers look like, but they do look like cut up cotton strings

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
It does look like string...what does it feel like? Are they soft? Stringy? If they do feel like feathers, you should see a vet.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Those look like powder down feathers (pulviplumes). They're made of keratin, grow continuously, and help to water proof and condition the other feathers. They're totally normal and supposed to be there, but I'd wonder why they aren't grooming that area if there were a lot of them and they weren't collared recently.

I have a grey that sheds his because he's collared most of the time and can't groom often.

For a comparison here's a reddit post with photo's of a cockatiel who was collared who had a bunch under their wings.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Those look like powder down feathers (pulviplumes). They're made of keratin, grow continuously, and help to water proof and condition the other feathers. They're totally normal and supposed to be there, but I'd wonder why they aren't grooming that area if there were a lot of them and they weren't collared recently.

I have a grey that sheds his because he's collared most of the time and can't groom often.

For a comparison here's a reddit post with photo's of a cockatiel who was collared who had a bunch under their wings.
Yes, my 'too will sometimes loose some feathers that look like that too. My concern would be if your cockatiel is plucking them though. That seems like a lot. It's not common for cockatiels to have plucking issues, unlike with some species. Are they all from one area?

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Oh that poor thing! So it’s basically knew feathers that haven’t been preen yet?
The second picture looks like cotton undone and cut up. Very interesting

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They look like unopened down feathers to me too, but I’m not sure why you would see so many all at once. Are there usually this many? Are they from one area?

England

Moving in
thanks for your message no it's nothing stuck have vets tomorrow so hopefully find out more

England

Moving in
They sort of look like new unopened down feathers but I can't quite make them out as clearly as I would like. @Ripshod?
Thanks for your message !she has tests tomorrow so hopefully I'll find out a bit more there all gone she pulled them all out

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
thanks for your message no it's nothing stuck have vets tomorrow so hopefully find out more
I wish the best! Please report as to what the vet says. I’m very curious

England

Moving in

Thank you the link really helped