• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are the main dangers i should watch out the most for my bird

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
Ive done reaserchs but ive messed up so much ealredy i feel guilty.if scared hell die or be in pain from whatever may hapen.
Ive remouved non stick pans from my house. Ive remouved the plastic bowls and putted ceramic ones eastead. Im really scared to mess up i want him to be happy .Id like to know some main dangers in a Household do i can prevent this again and so i can know theyll be safe.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Teflon is a big one. No candles, febreeze, air freshener etc. Ceiling fans off if bird is out. Bathroom door shut or toilet seat down. Being careful when people go in and out of house if bird is out. No falling asleep with the bird on you . Making sure any plants in the house are safe for birds.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I am very careful about doors. I lock all doors to the outside when my birds are out. Family and friends that just walk in are great, but not with the birds out.
I am also a fanatic about shutting toilet lids, keep ceiling fans OFF, and no standing water in the sink.
Never leave the stovetop on when birds are in the same room (if flighted).
These are my main watches.
Toys I also check (I've missed a bad one or two) for safety.

How could I forget Teflon (reminded by Michelle), deadly stuff.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Additions to the above:

Mixing sizes of birds (bigger birds can kill smaller ones).

Letting dogs, cats, or rodents have any access to your bird. So many tragedies from mammalian incidents.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Make sure any feathered friends are in their cage with small children are around. Birds are fragile and children can injure a bird easily.
Be in prepared for for injuries with first aid kit preset upped like this
And

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yes. My first Quaker had a poorly healed leg and couldn’t fly due to nerve injury in her wings. This was from a little kid playing with her like a doll.

It was a quick injury to a friendly little bird; but it affected her for 23 yrs.

She was also missing an eye. Before the small child incident, she flew out the door and came back with an injured eye. That was also a life long issue.

If birds “get out” they will most likely die. So we need to make sure that the cage is somewhere away from the exit door.