• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are the best species for free flight training?

Jogging around the block
It's always been something I would dream of doing, free flight. I really doubt I ever would actually do free flight, let alone get a bird specifically for that purpose.
But IF I did get a bird for free flight, what are the recommended species of parrot?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Usually loud, colorful and large birds are recommended. They can usually be easier found when lost and may survive a predator attack. libertywings has a great deal of information about free flight:)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see Sun Conures most of all especially lately,and it does fit what @TikiMyn said about being loud and colorful and they are a decent sized Conure not the biggest of course but still easier to see than say a Green Cheek or Black Capped ect.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
With most free flight clubs they recommend nothing smaller than a red front macaw. Any bird can be trained for it but the larger ones are less likely to be preyed upon by wild birds.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The most common birds used for free flight are big macaws like Scarlet Macaws, Military Macaws, etc.