• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some toys that my birds can easily shred?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Does anyone have any specific toys, not materials, that my birds can shred easily? Something similar to the bird kabob would be great! My two budgies love anything that falls apart quick

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The most shreddable are going to be sola and yucca, followed by mahogany and balsa. I have toy categories by materials :)

But for specific toys here are a few suggestions:

Also budgies seem to like my balsa shapes: Dinos

Here is @Lady Jane / @finchly 's Mickey chewing on a Balsa Stego: Budgie Teamwork

Hope that helps!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My store is definitely a Shredders Haven :lol:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
haha I can see that! I will definitely be getting a few❤

Oscarbird

My bird had this one toy made from sola and soft wooden blocks. It had strips of cardboard separating the wooden blocks and sola and was sort of strung like a bird kabob. Within the first few minutes of putting the toy in his cage he had shredded nearly all of it. I wish I had an image of the toy, but I got it in a subscription box and when I checked the website there were no other toys like it. This makes me think it was a subscription box only kinda toy, but I'm sure there are ones similar to it out there. Another toy my bird really likes is this one woven tube toy stuffed with crinkle paper and it has finger traps. Oscar goes NUTS for finger traps. One of my favorite things to do is to stuff bug chunks of millet inside of the finger trap and Oscar will have to shred it to get the treat, all while his brain is receiving stimulation. I hope these give you some ideas for toys, my bird seemed to really enjoy them! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So is balsa like a soft wood?
Yes! It comes in many hardness levels depending on the density of the tree it comes from, but it's the softest commerical timber product. Many craft shops here in the US actually carry it.