• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some good seeds for my budgies?

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been making my own seed mix for a while now, containing 1/2 lb. millet, 1/2 lb quinoa, 1 c hemp seeds, 1 c chia seeds, 1/2 c flax seeds, 1 c oat groats, and 1 c rolled oats. But, my budgies only eat the millet, oat groats, and rolled oats. So, I want to switch out the quinoa, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and flax seeds with other seeds they might like. What might be some good, healthy replacements?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chia seeds generally shouldn’t be served to small birds unsoaked anyways because they swell up a lot when exposed to water so it’s better to always soak before serving to prevent choking, you could try adding to pellets like the Harrison’s fine or superfine or adding a little bit of bee pollen or milk thistle

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chia seeds generally shouldn’t be served to small birds unsoaked anyways because they swell up a lot when exposed to water so it’s better to always soak before serving to prevent choking, you could try adding to pellets like the Harrison’s fine or superfine or adding a little bit of bee pollen or milk thistle
Good to know about the chia seeds. They never eat them though, so I guess it's not much of a concern for them, lol.
I already give them Harrison's pellets. I feed them pellets, seeds, and fresh vegetables.
I'll look into the bee pollen and milk thistle.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Chia seeds are not dangerous to serve dry, that is a common misconception. Here is a previous discussion about chia from these boards - Organic Chia seeds
Pretty sure I use the same seed mix recipe as you, I believe mine also calls for canola (rapeseed). Also I mix in some grass seeds from a finch mix periodically.

What if you minimize or take out the millet and oats in your seed mix? Those are the "treat" grains more than the flax and hemp and chia. You want to encourage your birds to est more of those last few. You can try soaking or sprouting or just mixing with a wet food mix.

My birds were like yours at the start, but now they eat all the various seeds in their mix.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chia seeds are not dangerous to serve dry, that is a common misconception. Here is a previous discussion about chia from these boards - Organic Chia seeds
Pretty sure I use the same seed mix recipe as you, I believe mine also calls for canola (rapeseed). Also I mix in some grass seeds from a finch mix periodically.

What if you minimize or take out the millet and oats in your seed mix? Those are the "treat" grains more than the flax and hemp and chia. You want to encourage your birds to est more of those last few. You can try soaking or sprouting or just mixing with a wet food mix.

My birds were like yours at the start, but now they eat all the various seeds in their mix.
Glad to hear that Chia seeds are not dangerous after all!
My mixture is also supposed to have Rapeseed in it, but I can't find it anywhere.
By grass seeds, do you mean Canary Grass? I've wanted to get some for my budgies, but I can't find that either.
I can try to get them to eat the other seeds, but it's been a year now, so I don't know if it's going to work. I can definitely try though.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are looking to mix your own seed mix, this online finch supply store sells a variety of organic seeds in bulk, as well as offering seed mixes that include less common seeds, like lettuce, clover, and switch grass seeds.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Canary grass is the main ingredient in most canary/finch seed mixes, so I buy one of those and mix it with my budgies' seeds or put it in their forging areas. I have found some sources for individual seeds (canola and canary grass) but haven't ordered yet (and they are all Canadian).

I'd happily buy from one of the Lady Gouldian sites, but shipping to Canada tends to be quite cost-prohibitive and many US stores do not ship food across the border.