• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some essential tricks/training for a bird?

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
We have been doing target training, step ups, and recall?( not sure if that’s the right word but just flying to our hands)What are some useful or essential things we should teach him??

Also when do you know when a bird has mastered a trick? When he no longer needs to see a treat?

Also for anyone being worried...WE DO NOT FORCE HIM TO TRAIN and we put a timer for 8mins max during his training sessions. He is a very eager and food motivated bird. We also monitor his weight and he has been eating a mixture of veggie, oatmeal, a sprinkle of seeds, and two mixes of pellets that he is surprisingly willing to eat. Sorry don’t mean to be defensive but someone I knew in high school on Instagram accused me of overworking my bird...SHE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A BIRD SO HOW CAN YOU GIVE ADVICE OMG Jessica you can shut your mouth :mad: This is the same girl who also gave her opinion on how my hair “wasn’t worth the amount” that I paid for......black THICK hair to a dimensional blonde silver balayage is hard to achieve -_-

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Ah, don't listen to them! You're doing just fine.

Clicker training, target training and recall training are all ones you should do. My bird loves to and picked up "wave" easily, loves to play peekaboo and I'm working on training him to fly to any perch on command.

They've mastered a trick when they do it on command, preferably without a treat.

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Ah, don't listen to them! You're doing just fine.

Clicker training, target training and recall training are all ones you should do. My bird loves to and picked up "wave" easily, loves to play peekaboo and I'm working on training him to fly to any perch on command.

They've mastered a trick when they do it on command, preferably without a treat.
Okay thank you! He’s not my first pet bird but he is my first bird to train on my own so I just really want to make sure I’m doing things right :,)

also waving and peekaboos?? ADORABLE:p I’m resisting to train him anything else until he’s mastered the other stuff haha.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stepping up onto a perch is an invaluable skill to learn.

Sitting on a scale.

Getting them used to toweling (makes vet visits, grooming, and medicating easier)

Taking food from a syringe (medication training)

They are not necessarily fun tricks, but super useful!

KiwiPo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lily
Stepping up onto a perch is an invaluable skill to learn.

Sitting on a scale.

Getting them used to toweling (makes vet visits, grooming, and medicating easier)

Taking food from a syringe (medication training)

They are not necessarily fun tricks, but super useful!
THANK YOU. Will look up how to videos on YouTube! Definitely will start to work on stepping down onto the perch soon.