• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some bird species similar to Pionus parrots.

Copasetic

Sitting on the front steps
I understand all bird are individuals with their own personality. I've heard that Pionus parrots are usually quieter and more easy-going than other species. I would like to own a bronze wing Pionus is several years however they are uncommon and it's rather difficult to find a breeder.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Pionus are pionus. There are a few species other than BW which I also wanted but they are very hard to breed & not easily found anymore.

You have the Maximilian, White Cap (smaller), Dusky (rare) & blue head species.
Still not that common especially in rehome & rescue but I see more blue heads for sale as should be maxi's/

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
SCAM ALERT Payment thru bitcoin Paybis

On sale

Seen this before & 99 1/4 % sure they will take your money & no bird! SAD

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've made a lot of posts asking about very different species. I would strongly recommend spending some time asking yourself what you can offer a bird.

Be very, very honest with yourself about how much you can spend on initial and ongoing expenses, how much time you have to offer, what kind of diet you can provide, and any constraints that your lifestyle might impose. Listen to youtube videos of different species' calls and again, be honest about how much noise you can tolerate. Smaller birds might produce less volume but often do call at a higher pitch. Consider your living situation: do you live with anyone, and if so, are they willing to change their lifestyle to keep a parrot safe? Do you have pets - and if yes, are they predators who pose a danger to your bird? Do you move around a lot or live in rented accommodation?

You also need to think about your personality. Are you calm and easy-going or do you have definite ideas about how you like things to be? Are you impatient? Do you have a temper? Can you forgive easily and quickly? Again, it's crucial to be honest. For me personally, I know that I don't like getting into a battle of wills so strong-willed species like caiques or parrotlets are not for me. It's not a slight against the species at all - just an individual thing. A lot of people get much joy out of these species but I know myself well enough to know that I probably wouldn't.