• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are signs that a cockatiel loves you?

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I got my cockatiel, Sprite, about a month and 1/2 ago. He was 10 weeks when I got him. I spend every second I'm at home with him. He likes to be out of the cage and likes to sit on me. That is all he wants to do: be on me. I was wondering if he is bonded to me or is indifferent. During night time, he likes to sleep on my chest and/or shoulder. When I put him in his cage, he starts to do these super high pitched sounds (except at night where he actually wants to sleep), especially when I'm about to leave for class or work.

Are these signs of affection?
What are other signs?

Attachments

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
My tiel does the exact same thing, it just means he likes companionship. Eventually the alert calls (thats the high pitched sounds) will end. I usually whistle back at him when Im leaving and it is quicker to stop. And yes this is a sign of affection. There are more signs of affection such as bowing their head. If they are in their cage and see you coming they will hop or fly to the gate of the cage. Even nipping (gentle) can mean affection! But the grossest sign of affection has to be.... regurgitation. Regurgitation is the undigested food coming out to feed their young... or their owners, toys or other tiels. However if regurgitation is frequent, it may be a digestive issue and you would have to get consulted by a vet
(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's definitely not indifferent to you! He is craving your companionship, and enjoys spending time with you. I hope you meant he sleeps at night on you only until you go to bed, not that he sleeps all night with you, which could be very dangerous. Sprite is so adorable!:heart:

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
He's definitely not indifferent to you! He is craving your companionship, and enjoys spending time with you. I hope you meant he sleeps at night on you only until you go to bed, not that he sleeps all night with you, which could be very dangerous. Sprite is so adorable!:heart:
Haha don't worry, he only sleeps on me at night when I'm awake. When I go to bed, I gently put him back in his favorite perch in his cage. I'm well aware of the dangers of sleeping with your cockatiels.

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
My tiel does the exact same thing, it just means he likes companionship. Eventually the alert calls (thats the high pitched sounds) will end. I usually whistle back at him when Im leaving and it is quicker to stop. And yes this is a sign of affection. There are more signs of affection such as bowing their head. If they are in their cage and see you coming they will hop or fly to the gate of the cage. Even nipping (gentle) can mean affection! But the grossest sign of affection has to be.... regurgitation. Regurgitation is the undigested food coming out to feed their young... or their owners, toys or other tiels. However if regurgitation is frequent, it may be a digestive issue and you would have to get consulted by a vet
(
Yes, Sprite does all of those things except regurgitation. ☺

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
You have a velcro bird. Congratulations! They are the most lovable birds on the planet. They are also the most needy. Buddy would spend all day on me or my partner if she could. This includes as a place to sleep, because it's not as if we ever have to...

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
You have a velcro bird. Congratulations! They are the most lovable birds on the planet. They are also the most needy. Buddy would spend all day on me or my partner if she could. This includes as a place to sleep, because it's not as if we ever have to...
I feel lucky :bounce4:

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
Haha don't worry, he only sleeps on me at night when I'm awake. When I go to bed, I gently put him back in his favorite perch in his cage. I'm well aware of the dangers of sleeping with your cockatiels.
Hey Tiel Feathers, I have another question :D Sprite's kept in an area of my home where I study, do homework, hang out and eat. So I'm with him every second I'm home. Everytime I eat, he always goes down to his food tray and starts to eat too. Why is that? :handup:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since birds are flock members, and you are his flock, he likes to eat when you do. I have one bird who doesn't seem to eat much at all when I'm not home, which can get kind of worrisome. Eating is a very social thing, so Sprite wants to eat with you. Sounds like your building quite the relationship!