• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures ...what are pellets, Anyways?

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
so i know pellets are better than seeds but why? And how? I really don’t know much about them. At the moment i use a seedmix and veggies (+millet and sunflowerseeds when they’re being good birds) should i be switching to pellets rather than seeds? And what are the benefits?

Yesterday i opened a new package of seedmix that came with the budgies i got a couple of months ago. So these are not the seeds I usually give.

Attachments

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
The problems with seeds is that they are fatty and lack important nutrients. Since most people don't take their birds out vit d3 and calcium aren't taken in. As well trace elements like magnesium, and other vitamins like c and k. You can't store vit c so they need to eat it everyday, (Orange things like carrot and sweet potato). Seeds do contain some nutrition yet they are very fatty and can cause fatty liver disease. Each pellet is the exact same in nutrition so it's a balanced diet. As with the conures they get pellets 24/7 yet they have access to nuts and a fresh veggie and grain/bean mix with some sprouted seeds and shoots.

I've tried my budgies with pellets and they just refuse, some will nibble but won't eat them completely. So I feed the seeds as they are the only main thing that they eat. Then a sprouted seed, grain and veggie chop with add coconut oil and pellet powder. The coconut oil means the powder will stick to the sprouted seeds as they eat these first. Sometimes I give them lentils to but they aren't to keen on them.

Budgies are grainovires (don't know the spelling) which means that they will eat seeds,oats, rice,pasta etc.i believe smaller birds need to have less pellets in their diet anyway I think it's between 40-60%.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
The problems with seeds is that they are fatty and lack important nutrients. Since most people don't take their birds out vit d3 and calcium aren't taken in. As well trace elements like magnesium, and other vitamins like c and k. You can't store vit c so they need to eat it everyday, (Orange things like carrot and sweet potato). Seeds do contain some nutrition yet they are very fatty and can cause fatty liver disease. Each pellet is the exact same in nutrition so it's a balanced diet. As with the conures they get pellets 24/7 yet they have access to nuts and a fresh veggie and grain/bean mix with some sprouted seeds and shoots.

I've tried my budgies with pellets and they just refuse, some will nibble but won't eat them completely. So I feed the seeds as they are the only main thing that they eat. Then a sprouted seed, grain and veggie chop with add coconut oil and pellet powder. The coconut oil means the powder will stick to the sprouted seeds as they eat these first. Sometimes I give them lentils to but they aren't to keen on them.

Budgies are grainovires (don't know the spelling) which means that they will eat seeds,oats, rice,pasta etc.i believe smaller birds need to have less pellets in their diet anyway I think it's between 40-60%.
Okay so I’ll have to try and see if they like them. I’ve also heard of different sizes of pellets, And budgies liking the bigger ones meant for conures and quakers instead of their own size for budgies and finches etc.
How do i know I’m getting the right one?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Really good post Jas! I hadn’t thought about adding oil so they stick ti the seeds, thanks! I don’t like the ingredients in pellets, most contant mostly Corn but as Jas Said, iT is really hard to give them complete nutrutioj without them! I have tried a couple different ones with Henkie and Tiki but neither would eat them. Fëanor does eat them and I think in time Henkie Will come around, he always tries things Fëanor eats even if it takes a while. I would go for a naturel pellet, pesonally. But I think you should try a couple you like and see which one is accepted by your flock:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
ask the various companies for samples.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
As for size, depends on the birds. my conures will eat any size pellet, small or large they aren't bothered (they do use their feet so it might be that). Budgies like them super small like the seeds that thy eat (they're the only ones that they nibbled) or a powder. As for everyone's fruit and veggies, they have to be tiny like microscopic, carrot has to be grated or pushed through bars and anything with a skin on needs to be removed, otherwise it's a scary monster.:lol::faint:

As @TikiMyn said trying a variety is good. I use zupreem naturals,Harrisons and will use some Roudybush.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
So just to summarize;
- i should switch to pellets
- mix different kinds together
- start with the size meant for budgies
- check if there a companies that let you try samples before buying
- still give them fresh fruit/veggies

How do I properly switch them to the pellets, do i first mix them with the seeds or just put the pellets in a bowl and see if they are naturally drawn to them?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So just to summarize;
- i should switch to pellets
- mix different kinds together
- start with the size meant for budgies
- check if there a companies that let you try samples before buying
- still give them fresh fruit/veggies

How do I properly switch them to the pellets, do i first mix them with the seeds or just put the pellets in a bowl and see if they are naturally drawn to them?
I have had good luck by using the veggies to introduce pellets. I soak the pellets a little to make them soft and serve with veggies. After they've started eating them that way you can gradually serve them dry.

This is with finches and canaries; I don't have budgies.

If they'd just be drawn to them that's great, but for me it only happened 1/100 times!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I have had good luck by using the veggies to introduce pellets. I soak the pellets a little to make them soft and serve with veggies. After they've started eating them that way you can gradually serve them dry.

This is with finches and canaries; I don't have budgies.

If they'd just be drawn to them that's great, but for me it only happened 1/100 times!

Thanks, I’ll try to mix them in with their lunch veggies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I feed these top of the line pellets to my birds I mix them with the seed mix. This brand of pellet is so tiny a bird would easily eat the pellet along with the seed. If I fed the pellets separately in a bowl I don't think the birds would eat them. Pellets are basically formulated to contain all the healthy nutrients a bird needs to survive.

1. Recommendation for Small Bird Pellets

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
When I feed these top of the line pellets to my birds I mix them with the seed mix.
Our budgies get a 60% seed/ 40% pellet feed mixed together like this....along with mixed veggies and occasional birdie bread (which they use as a trampoline before they eat it ;))

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When I feed these top of the line pellets to my birds I mix them with the seed mix. This brand of pellet is so tiny a bird would easily eat the pellet along with the seed. If I fed the pellets separately in a bowl I don't think the birds would eat them. Pellets are basically formulated to contain all the healthy nutrients a bird needs to survive.

1. Recommendation for Small Bird Pellets

Dianne, that's a misleading claim. These pellets have no added vitamins or D3, which is necessary for proper nutrition. They are not a serious food. Just in case some newbie doesn't realize the importance of added vitamins and minerals. No offence meant.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Dianne, that's a misleading claim. These pellets have no added vitamins or D3, which is necessary for proper nutrition. They are not a serious food. Just in case some newbie doesn't realize the importance of added vitamins and minerals. No offence meant.
I do have other feed i give them that have extra minerals that they need, but the store employee I bought it from said i have to give it seperately (not mixed with the seeds).
The page is only available in dutch and French so you can’t really read it but it’s this: https://www.beaphar.com/nl-be/product/cana-grit
It’s also good for their digestive system.
I do want to find pellets with Vitamins and D3 since that seems to be important.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also feed Harrisons extra fine pellets every other day and lots of veggies, full spectrum lighting (if it really helps) and birdie bread loaded with veggies and other good things. The total package when you put all this together in the diet is complete.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I also feed Harrisons extra fine pellets every other day and lots of veggies, full spectrum lighting (if it really helps) and birdie bread loaded with veggies and other good things. The total package when you put all this together in the diet is complete.
What a coincidence, i was just looking at the Harrisons website. Do you maybe have a link to the pellets that you use?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that sounds really good, Dianne! No need for concern then!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is a link to the pellets I also feed. Amazon.com : Harrison's Adult Lifetime Super Fine 3lb : Harrison S Bird Food : Pet Supplies These do have corn in the mix.

As to the question of vitamin D3 there are very few foods with this vitamin, unless fortified. It is a fat soluble vitamin that is different from others in that both humans and birds can make their own vitamin D3 with sun exposure. The top 10 foods with this vitamin are usually not fed to birds except for eggs. Cod liver oil, sardines, salmon, mackerel, tuna, caviar and mushrooms. Another source for humans is milk. At one of the nutritional classes I attended at Phoenix landing the instructor stated that we can feed our birds salmon and tuna once in a while.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Here is a link to the pellets I also feed. Amazon.com : Harrison's Adult Lifetime Super Fine 3lb : Harrison S Bird Food : Pet Supplies These do have corn in the mix.

As to the question of vitamin D3 there are very few foods with this vitamin, unless fortified. It is a fat soluble vitamin that is different from others in that both humans and birds can make their own vitamin D3 with sun exposure. The top 10 foods with this vitamin are usually not fed to birds except for eggs. Cod liver oil, sardines, salmon, mackerel, tuna, caviar and mushrooms. Another source for humans is milk.
Thank you. Is it a good idea then to add egg to the veggies i give them? Will this provide enough vitamin D3. Might i add that the room they are in does have a window, does that help?

Edit: i know cages are not to be put in front of windows. The fact that you meantioned D3 can be made in the body with sunlight made me want to mention it.