• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures ...what are pellets, Anyways?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Zoepr143 A window does not help becuase glass blocks the appropriate rays that would help them synthesize the vitamins. A better idea is either full spectrum lighting or a vitamin supplement. If you give fortified pellets and a supplement, you have to sort of subtract out what they get in the pellets, so that you don't over dose them!

You can get calcium supplements that have D3 in them - I use one once weekly.

Egg is a great idea, IMO. It boosts their protein levels. Plus they love it. And remember, the bigger variety of veggies, the better nutrition they get all around! :)

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
@Zoepr143 A window does not help becuase glass blocks the appropriate rays that would help them synthesize the vitamins. A better idea is either full spectrum lighting or a vitamin supplement. If you give fortified pellets and a supplement, you have to sort of subtract out what they get in the pellets, so that you don't over dose them!

You can get calcium supplements that have D3 in them - I use one once weekly.

Egg is a great idea, IMO. It boosts their protein levels. Plus they love it. And remember, the bigger variety of veggies, the better nutrition they get all around! :)
Uff i should have known that...time to re-read my physics book. :hehe:
God.. I don’t want to overdose them either :confused:
Isn’t there and easier way? I don’t think i can properly subtract and keep count of what they eat when having the thought i mind be overdosing them. If i go to an avian vet, will i be able to get a diet advice with precise measurements?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I do it loosely, like this:

They had pellets 3 days this week

And the pellets provide 50% (or whatever) of the D3 and B vitamins
So today I'm going to dose 50% of what the vitamin bottle says is a dose.

If they got plenty of pellets and bird bread (I mix pellets in) then I skip the vitamins. They're just an extra to have on hand.

And I switch up veggies constantly!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I do it loosely, like this:

They had pellets 3 days this week

And the pellets provide 50% (or whatever) of the D3 and B vitamins
So today I'm going to dose 50% of what the vitamin bottle says is a dose.

If they got plenty of pellets and bird bread (I mix pellets in) then I skip the vitamins. They're just an extra to have on hand.

And I switch up veggies constantly!

Okay thank you, I’m getting them to have a check up anyways so Ill hope i get the chance to ask about some advice on their diet

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
It is very hard to overdose birds if feeding pellets diluted with veggies. Vit d3 will stopped being produced in the body if the bird has enough. Taking them outside for 30 minutes is one way for them to get vit d3 obviously when weather is warmer, doesn't have to be sunny.

Do be careful with uv lights (I use mine for the sight and psychological effects) they have to be very close like 6inchs to reap any benefits. If positioned wrong they can cause burns and cataracts also the bulb needs to be replaced often (1year).

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
It is very hard to overdose birds if feeding pellets diluted with veggies. Vit d3 will stopped being produced in the body if the bird has enough. Taking them outside for 30 minutes is one way for them to get vit d3 obviously when weather is warmer, doesn't have to be sunny.

Do be careful with uv lights (I use mine for the sight and psychological effects) they have to be very close like 6inchs to reap any benefits. If positioned wrong they can cause burns and cataracts also the bulb needs to be replaced often (1year).
Yeah when i just had kiwi i took her outside every day. Now unfortunately I can’t because (as you mentioned) it’s winter. So you really just need to provide extra D3 pellets when it’s too cold to go outside. It’s about 3°C here every day now:depressed:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Yeah it's a shame :sadhug2:but the birds like to watch the rain and snow so it's free TV at least :dance4:. Yep they have their pellets to fill in what I've missed when providing their fruit, veggies and chop.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Yeah it's a shame :sadhug2:but the birds like to watch the rain and snow so it's free TV at least :dance4:. Yep they have their pellets to fill in what I've missed when providing their fruit, veggies and chop.
Thanks so much, I finally know what it means and what i should be doing. I am going to ask about diets when i go to the vet with them to get an advice on them rather than ‘all budgies’

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

I believe it's 18 inches distance. Many people use long flat fixtures and lay them across the top of the cage, then position pierces accordingly.

@Lady Jane I use Nekton S (link) and also calcium gluconate from the farm supply store.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Cal-d-solve by Avitech is calcium plus D3, and dissolves in water, colorless odorless tasteless. I use it once a week for BScoot who can use the extra calcium. Rudy gets Avivita gold twice a week.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cal-d-solve by Avitech is calcium plus D3, and dissolves in water, colorless odorless tasteless. I use it once a week for BScoot who can use the extra calcium. Rudy gets Avivita gold twice a week.
I used both of those before I started these 2 new products! I like both. Avitech is a good company.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would be really careful; reptile lighting is incorrect for birds' eyes. I believe that's what causes blindness, although I may be mistaken.

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
I really like the idea of being able to dissolve it in the water! I checked the avitech page yesterday when a cage cleaner was recommended by the same brand and the shipping is $70+ dollars. :dead:

(Sencored because of location related content)

Attachments

Last edited: