• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are nutritious snacks for tiels?

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
I'm looking for a nutritious snack for my cockatiels. I've been thinking about spinach, but it might not be good for them, Even though, they love spinach. They look so cute munching on it! (quick question, how painful are aggressive cockatiel bites? I've never been bitten by them before)

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Spinach contains a lot of oxalic acid, which is a molecule that binds with calcium and other minerals and can cause kidney stones if fed in excess.

It's great they like leafy greens! Romaine lettuce, arugula, and cruciferous greens like kale, cabbage, and bok choy all have low levels of oxalate and might be good trade-ins on occasion :)

Newtielmom

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa
I'm looking for a nutritious snack for my cockatiels. I've been thinking about spinach, but it might not be good for them, Even though, they love spinach. They look so cute munching on it! (quick question, how painful are aggressive cockatiel bites? I've never been bitten by them before)
I have a sweet and sassy male cockatiel that has tricked and bit multiple members of our family hard! He was a rescue and was quickly renamed the hawkinator after he drew blood on 3 family members within a few weeks with his oh I’m so sweet I want to eat you tactics. I have a green cheek conure that’s bite isnt anything compared to his!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Homemade sweet potato fries are a yummy one! Just bake them without oil or salt :)

Veggies like broccoli, carrots, squash, green beans, corn, peas, peppers, etc are all healthy choices.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also try nutriberries. Some people use them as "food" and others as "treats". As already said, spinach is too high in iron to be fed a lot but you can give other leafy greens or vegetables. Of course, vegetables aren't "treats" but something that should be fed to cockatiels daily.

Aestatis

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for posting this thread because I've wondered the same myself since there are so many leafy greens out there and not all of them give good nutrients. I will add that my birds seem to prefer leafy greens that look more like a stem/sprig like cilantro or basil. If you have the right climate, basil is super easy to grow in the summer and you need to keep chopping it back anyway. Plus it smells great when they are munching away!

To answer your question about tiel bites: If you are talking hormonal aggression like defending a nest then they can really sting. Major would break the skin and was good at getting right by the nail. However, it's not like there was a ton of bleeding. I would compare it to being poked by a sewing needle/getting your skin pinched in something.

The worst part was that she would be willing to chase. I would walk up to her trying to be nesty under her cage stand. I am about three feet away. She would pop out, look at my foot, look at me, then run over to my foot and give a hard pinch!

Tiels do have some capability to cause damage and bleeding, but I have only heard about it with birds that were terrified for their lives + negative experiences with hands.

Rebel

Jogging around the block
(quick question, how painful are aggressive cockatiel bites? I've never been bitten by them before)
They can easily puncture skin and draw blood. It can be quite painful. Of my 7 cockatiels, only one of them will bite that hard. Ironically, hes the most loving of them all. You just have to know your bounds. Thats him there in my profile picture.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
They can easily puncture skin and draw blood. It can be quite painful. Of my 7 cockatiels, only one of them will bite that hard. Ironically, hes the most loving of them all. You just have to know your bounds. Thats him there in my profile picture.
Ah. I'm trying to get crispy to not bite my finger. If he's about to bite, he'll open his beak wide, look at my finger, and puff up a bit. I usually move back a bit so he'll be unable to reach my finger.

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Ah. I'm trying to get crispy to not bite my finger. If he's about to bite, he'll open his beak wide, look at my finger, and puff up a bit. I usually move back a bit so he'll be unable to reach my finger.
The only thing i can suggest is to feed him/her treats etc. by hand to get them more comfortable with your fingers.As far as my bird goes, ive just accepted the fact that he doesnt like fingers in his face.