• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are hormonal female amazons like?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Just some curiosity..
I see so much about how male amazons can get really aggressive at puberty, but I can't seem to find that much about what females go through.
Are they very territorial?

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Yes my quaker parrot can be very territorial. I also have never had a amazon so I don’t know if it’s the same for them but I’m pretty sure they are.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I currently have a female BFA and a female OWA. I had a male BFA for many years, he passed away.
My male definitely could be a handful when hormonal, but not anything I couldn't handle. I was his first "mate" for a number of years (when he'd chase my husband) and I think he gave me a break when defending the female Amazon I brought home for us.
I don't really notice a lot from either female, except the rate of chewing up boxes and wood increases greatly for a few months. Both the girls are older (50 and 28) and I didn't have them at puberty.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Lucy my YNA when hormonal gets loud and stays loud. Im her chosen one and she will do anything to be near me during this time. She does alot of the regurg and wants me to pet her and will almost lay down.
She doesnt chase my wife or try to get her but she will try to bite her when changing water and food. She gets very territorial over her "stuff" but not with me.
She is only 5 and we've only had 2 years of it and it was mild. Im sure it gets worse. I just handle her as little as possible during these times and giver her more time for sleep.
We also have an OWA who is 21 and gets very hormonal with my wife and she handles it the same way I do with Lucy. She doesnt have a mean bone in her body and doesnt chase or try to get me thankfully.
She will get in the bottom of her cage and try to nest, so we remove cardboard boxes and paper during this time, and give her some new toys to destroy.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My females get very sweet when hormonal. They suddenly want to be with me more and be petted. You have to be careful how you pet them when hormonal and keep it to just their head. They will often squat low and flutter their wings while making kind of a moaning or grunting noise which means they want to mate with you. It can be mildly annoying, but not nearly as annoying as a beak attached deeply into your thumb like my males want to do. I'm single, so I don't know how the females behave in multi-human households. I can say with a degree of confidence, that most of them will not become nearly as violent as their male counterparts toward their favorite person. They may occasionally take a shot at a less favored human if they get within range though. My female napes didn't really get hormonal until they were at least 5 year old old.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I've always assumed I would NOT get any female bird because I'm just afraid of some of the things they can go through if they start laying.
But I'm thinking maybe *if* I end up with an amazon I'd be better off with a girl. Hmm.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always assumed I would NOT get any female bird because I'm just afraid of some of the things they can go through if they start laying.
But I'm thinking maybe *if* I end up with an amazon I'd be better off with a girl. Hmm.
In my opinion, if you go with a nape, double yellow head, blue front or maybe even a yellow crown, getting a female would likely be a better choice. Most female amazons don't have compulsive egg laying problems. There are definitely exceptions. I've got a 30 or so year old female that has had several babies. But, she and her mate only lay eggs if I provide a nest box. So, its super easy to regulate. My pet female of 15 years has so far never laid an egg. The only pet bird I've had that laid an egg as a pet was a cockatiel and they are notorious for that.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are good males out there. MC was a DNA male, blue front, and wild caught. He wound up being my best buddy until I lost him to cancer.

As much as Secret (avatar bird) is contrary, I still enjoy our time together.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not Amazon related, but I was totally sure I didn't want any more boy birds in my life. My girl GCC and Hahns were the best! They told me Ripley was a girl and that's the only reason I took a chance on him :scared5: Glad he proved me wrong!

bjmelton

Moving in
Real Name
Barbra
My Yellow Nape Amazon, Tiki, just laid an egg at 37 years old. Taking her "toy box" away for good! I thought she might be too old for this but my little sunshine proved me wrong once again...