• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I’m always surprised when I see photos of kingfishers, I always think they’re bigger than they are
I saw a bunch of sacred king fishers. They are so tiny! Very cute!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
He's still around, hopped to the next tree over.
20230115_142823.jpg

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There is an Australian Common Crow butterfly chrysalis in my garden:)

They look like gold in the daylight. They are sorta clear actually but just super reflective so they look like gems or jewels.

PXL_20230111_074437713.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Not sure. Went to check him again and he flew off when he saw me, hopefully back to his nest.
Likely if he has that much mobility his nest days are done. Fledgelings wont return to the burrow after they leave. The parents are likely keeping some eye on him and making sure he gets what's needed. As he gets better at fishing/ lizard hunting they will eventually leave him to start feeding himself.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Positive ID of this little one would be appreciated. I think it's a female yellow bellied sapsucker, but I'm not sure.
It crashed into the window of a business while I was in the parking lot. Initially it was knocked out, but perked up after a short while. Once it started struggling to get out of my hand I released it onto a branch in a thickly-leaved bush so it would have a hidden spot to rest.
I didn't see any blood or signs of broken bones so I hope it will be ok.
IMG_20230117_132211.jpg IMG_20230117_132215.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Winn I agree with your ID. I will add that I think the little one may be a juvenile based on the condition of the beak.

Thank you for helped them. Fingers crossed they had a smooth recovery. Windows are terrible for birds.

Winn

Jogging around the block
@Winn I agree with your ID. I will add that I think the little one may be a juvenile based on the condition of the beak.

Thank you for helped them. Fingers crossed they had a smooth recovery. Windows are terrible for birds.
I'm worried it could have a concussion, but it seemed to get it's strength back quickly. I hope that's a good sign and it's ok.
Thanks for the ID.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I've been a bit confused all morning cause I was repeatedly hearing lorikeets, which we do have around here but I dont remember hearing them this much. Upon investigating I was pleasantly surprised to find a group of musk lorikeets in a gum tree.
Some terrible photos.
20230121_131122.jpg 20230121_131120.jpg 20230121_131119.jpg 20230121_131016.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I've been a bit confused all morning cause I was repeatedly hearing lorikeets, which we do have around here but I dont remember hearing them this much. Upon investigating I was pleasantly surprised to find a group of musk lorikeets in a gum tree.
Some terrible photos.
View attachment 421623 View attachment 421624 View attachment 421625 View attachment 421626
We do not have them all the time in our yard but when our fruit trees are fruiting they visit in large numbers. Year before last they cleared the nashi tree in a day and also a cherry tree which did not have a net over it. They really are gorgeous.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
We do not have them all the time in our yard but when our fruit trees are fruiting they visit in large numbers. Year before last they cleared the nashi tree in a day and also a cherry tree which did not have a net over it. They really are gorgeous.
I honestly cannot remember if I've seen wild musk lorikeets before now!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly cannot remember if I've seen wild musk lorikeets before now!
Where I am, I have only ever seen them in our yards at fruiting times, other than that they are seen (heard more) now and then out in the bush well away from where any houses are.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think this is a Chorus Frog (not sure). I see a lot of green frogs at work and a few light brown ones. I've never found one this dark before.
View attachment 423106
Cute. We have frogs that size all over our yard near our pond at the moment lol.

Did you know picking frogs up with your bare skin can burn their skin? We were always told to wet hands or use gloves to pick them up- not sure if it is all frogs that are sensitive to our oils or just some.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Cute. We have frogs that size all over our yard near our pond at the moment lol.

Did you know picking frogs up with your bare skin can burn their skin? We were always told to wet hands or use gloves to pick them up- not sure if it is all frogs that are sensitive to our oils or just some.
I did not know that! I'll definitely remember it for the future.:thanks: