• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Honestly … I wrote puggles. Darn autocorrect wrote pigglies. :laughin:
Autocorrect tries to either embarrass me or straight out get me in trouble all the time- I find it funniest when it chooses a word I literally never use or I do not even know the meaning of. I have had some terrible autocorrect incidents lol

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The roos will often run straight for the water- once there the dogs very rarely have any luck walking away, they will literally drown the dogs. I have seen very few dogs win against a roo who can get to water no matter the size of the dog.

Omg Platypus puggles are the sweetest and baby wombats are to die for too.
Omg now that you say that I remember a vid where a Roo lured a decent sized dog into the water and the owner kept filming not seeming that bothered until he kept thrusting the dog underneath the water and then the guy got angry and ran at the Roo and he took off and the dog thankfully seemed fine but that was very hard to watch.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Autocorrect tries to either embarrass me or straight out get me in trouble all the time- I find it funniest when it chooses a word I literally never use or I do not even know the meaning of. I have had some terrible autocorrect incidents lol
Omg same! Let's just say I tried to write Sec and it switched a letter and I'd definitely never typed that word out before. Luckily it was too a good friend of mine but it was still embarrassing.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Every other day on Instagram there is footage of people saving their untrained dogs from roos who were being harassed by the dogs and then the owners getting into a slight wrestle with them- sometimes it is kinda hilarious to see lol
So this happens on a daily basis!? :roflmao:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
It never ceases to amaze me seeing cockatoos and the like in the wild. I don’t know why it absolutely blows my mind, but man. That’s so crazy to me.
A short time before that picture I was by the creek and there was a huge cockatoo flock flying around screaming because it was going to rain. Had SC2s and Corellas and there was some galahs around too.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A short time before that picture I was by the creek and there was a huge cockatoo flock flying around screaming because it was going to rain. Had SC2s and Corellas and there was some galahs around too.
I need as many pics as I can get.

I don’t why it’s so insane to me. I know exotic animals kept as pets have to come from somewhere. But seeing things like Suriname boas or Argentine tegus in their natural habitats is so much more normal to me than seeing things like SC2s or tiels or macaws in the wild. Logically I know they’re there - but for some reason my brain just can’t make the leap.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I need as many pics as I can get.

I don’t why it’s so insane to me. I know exotic animals kept as pets have to come from somewhere. But seeing things like Suriname boas or Argentine tegus in their natural habitats is so much more normal to me than seeing things like SC2s or tiels or macaws in the wild. Logically I know they’re there - but for some reason my brain just can’t make the leap.
They nearly made me insane at 5:30 this morning when a huge flock flew over carrying on like pork chops and encouraged Birdie to think he needed breaky right then! Noisy buggers they are lol

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I’ve hand fed a few baby grey squirrels in the past … now I give them to a wild life rehabber.
We hand fed a couple-- boy they were fun, running up and down our bodies like we were trees... Then they got kind of snippy/ nippy and we gave them to a rehabber to reacclimate to the wild. Wish we would have kept them in our backyard, but we were afraid they would climb up the neighbors. :wacky:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
A few pictures I've taken and meant to post here.
Red rumps
View attachment 420760
SC2
View attachment 420762
Great looking spider! It's a species of tarantula, I believe.
Here's a desert tarantula I followed for awhile in Winterhaven, CA.

1673235825118.jpg
I want to visit Australia but then I remember you have Cassowaries :laugh: View attachment 420769
I have a piece of driftwood that looks like a Cassowary. Unfortunately, it's in storage in California!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
There's a site (or there used to be) called "damnyouautocorrect". It was hilarious.
Omg same! Let's just say I tried to write Sec and it switched a letter and I'd definitely never typed that word out before. Luckily it was too a good friend of mine but it was still embarrassing.
What about the poor guy who texted his mother that he was going to visit her native Virginia. Auto correct changed Virginia ..

It never ceases to amaze me seeing cockatoos and the like in the wild. I don’t know why it absolutely blows my mind, but man. That’s so crazy to me.
Me, too. We used to have two parrot speices in the States. The Carolina Parakeet and the Thick Billed Parrot. Of course, we drove the Carolina one into extinction. Interestingly, the last Carolina Parakeet shared a cage with the last Passenger Pigeon. The Thick Billed Parrot is currently extremely endangered in it's last "stronghold" in Mexico with an estimated 1,700 left in 2018.

When I lived near Pasadena CA, I loved seeing the parrots! Most people complained about them, but I just loved them! Soon we'll see parrots all over the US if this is any indication:
1673237079357.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Baby kingfisher :swoon: The parents were around so I assume he is learning to fly, I put him a tree so a cat doesn't find him. I'll go check on him later to make sure he is OK.
20230115_100816.jpg 20230115_100931.jpg