• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm not much of a wasp* gal, but those flowers are gorgeous!

*Though I'm still intrigued with the trichogamma wasps @Khizz mentioned in a moth post. :chin:
Still figuring out the forum. Thanks for sharing this!

I only started wasp appreciation last year. They are fascinating , so diverse and important pollinators. I'm especially fond on the 4 spotted scoliod wasp its 3 inches loves my passion flowers and seems to be a gentle giant. ( I didn't keep pictures, but anytime now they should be showing up again).

I may have also found an undescribed species of gall wasp. Its super tiny, and has been sent to entomologist

Oh the flowers are tropical milkweed from my pollinators garden

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Don't get me wrong, I love the desert! The animals that live here are just a little mean and hardened from all the hot days in the sun. This is a list of animals I constantly encounter:
  • Javalinas, angry wild hogs. DON'T leave food out for them at night, they'll dig through your trash cans.
  • Coyotes, they just look like dogs. Don't really bother people that much, but they do go after dogs and outside pets. Really not much of a threat otherwise.
  • Scorpions of all kinds. My house is pretty infested, I see one at least once a week.
  • Horny toads, which are a kind of lizard and are actually quite cute. When you were a kid in my area you would try to catch them all the time.
  • Jackrabbits that are really lean and scrappy, not very cute.
  • And finally, the 'beloved' diamondback rattlesnake, which we don't see too often but that we know are there. They aren't as awful as most people think, and they do give fair warning with their tails. Getting bit is a drag, but I have a hospital near my home, at least.
Any other desert members? I know there are plenty other desert animals that I don't see where I live.

When I lived in the desert (over 20 years ago) we would see in the main part of town many native mice, birds and lizards but when you took a drive a bit further away from the populated areas you’d often see wild emus, feral goats and camels, less often you’d see feral horses or cows, the most amazing thing to see though was definitely wedge tail eagles there- they’re absolutely huge in the desert, the ones I see here in Victoria are honestly tiny in comparison.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have pictures too much since I just have a cell phone. Common animals would be invasive European sparrows and starlings as the most common. Then American robins, blue jays, blue heron, night heron, little green heron, northern cardinals, common grackles, white tail deer, racoons, virginia opossum, various bees, wasps, mosquitos, beetles etc. The fireflys are going crazy right now and the farmer's fields sparkle with them at night. Red tail hawks, occasionally coopers hawks, or bald eagle. Red fox, bobcat(if you are lucky), coyote. Cottontail rabbit and fox squirrel.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I don't have pictures too much since I just have a cell phone. Common animals would be invasive European sparrows and starlings as the most common. Then American robins, blue jays, blue heron, night heron, little green heron, northern cardinals, common grackles, white tail deer, racoons, virginia opossum, various bees, wasps, mosquitos, beetles etc. The fireflys are going crazy right now and the farmer's fields sparkle with them at night. Red tail hawks, occasionally coopers hawks, or bald eagle. Red fox, bobcat(if you are lucky), coyote. Cottontail rabbit and fox squirrel.
I miss fireflies in farmer's fields! Wow. I grew up in Illinois corn fields full of fireflies. Before light pollution really dropped their numbers

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They’re one of my favourite insect repellents lol
We have a bunch of little geckos and skinks! Once it starts getting warmer again you hear all their mating calls, and our house becomes a gecko's love pad. :hehepink:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We have had a tonne of noisy miners visiting the neighbours trees- omg they are busy noisy little buggers lol.
Same we have heap and heaps of noisy miners. That was why seeing a bell miner was special :)

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Think I forgot to include the wolf in my animal list... I had seen what I thought was a HUGE coyote the week before, but as I was approaching a near-to-that area I saw a profile of the wolf along the road, and a moment later, it looked straight-on at me... so there was no question. Amazing for NW Illinois that we have this variety [wolf, mountain lion- 15yr ago, lynx] ...

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Think I forgot to include the wolf in my animal list... I had seen what I thought was a HUGE coyote the week before, but as I was approaching a near-to-that area I saw a profile of the wolf along the road, and a moment later, it looked straight-on at me... so there was no question. Amazing for NW Illinois that we have this variety [wolf, mountain lion- 15yr ago, lynx] ...
Awesome!!! O can imagine was amazing to look into his eyes!!!!

I used to live in Southern Illinois very rural. Long long time ago We had 3 wolves we kept seeing. My dad was so excited! Contacted fish and wildlife, they gave him a hard time claiming coyotes. So my dad set a blind and baited and had them come out. Wolves! Not long after one was killed on the highway. We were then told they we roamers and males dispersing, no establishment of a pack.

Nature is so fascinating!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Not how you want to see them, but here is a Great Horned Owl than somehow ended up in my dog's pen overnight.
20220630_095728.jpg
He/she is in pretty rough shape. I assume he crash landed and then tussled with my Siberian Husky. I am sure his wing is broken and he was holding one foot balled up. We have been in contact with a wild life rehabber. She told us how to capture him for transport. My husband is going to meet the rehabber, part way between our location and hers, as soon as she is free after picking up another injured animal.
I told my husband to tell her to let us know how he is, even if they have to euthanize him.