• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have no spectacular photos of local wildlife. Just a list

squirrels
Cooper Hawk owns the area here
Many mourning doves
Big ground hog family and tunnels
Fox
Homeless cats
Other assorted birds

Great thread!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no spectacular photos of local wildlife. Just a list

squirrels
Cooper Hawk owns the area here
Many mourning doves
Big ground hog family and tunnels
Fox
Homeless cats
Other assorted birds

Great thread!
Ooh I'd absolutely love to get a pic of a Fox!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
We have
Fox
Coyote
Squirrels
Deer
Bats
Rabbits
groundhogs
moles
Turtles
Frogs
toads
snakes a few varieties
Raccoon
Opossum
Birds
American Robins
Mourning doves
Cardinals
Grackles
Crow
Vultures
Sparrows
Blue birds
Blue Jay
Bald Eagle
Golden Eagles
Falcons
Killdeer
Cranes
Herons
Canadian geese
Multiple duck species
Hawks
Owls multiple varieties

I live in a small town on a lake, and surrounded by wetlands, fields and wooded areas. It is not unusual to see deer or fox walking down or across the streets in town. And the vultures roost on the water tower.

And I am sure that I am missing some species of birds and other critters.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I almost did get a photo of fox last winter. I scatter sunflower seeds under my living room windows. One night i looked out and there he or she was eating the seeds. They seem to really like them when hunting for meals is scarce. I snapped a photo and the flash scared it away.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I almost did get a photo of fox last winter. I scatter sunflower seeds under my living room windows. One night i looked out and there he or she was eating the seeds. They seem to really like them when hunting for meals is scarce. I snapped a photo and the flash scared it away.
Are they native to your area?

As cute as they are to look at, I really do not like that they are here and such a problem. Cats and Foxes Kill 2.6 Billion Animals Per Year in Australia.

Farmers are often encouraged to shoot them and will sometimes even be entitled to a small fee for each fox they kill, $10 I think it used to be for each fox.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

As cute as they are to look at, I really do not like that they are here and such a problem. Cats and Foxes Kill 2.6 Billion Animals Per Year in Australia.

Farmers are often encouraged to shoot them and will sometimes even be entitled to a small fee for each fox they kill, $10 I think it used to be for each fox.
But if there weren't any foxes or cats, that would drastically change the life cycle. No one likes animals killed, but if the predators don't do their job, we would have an overpopulation problem. That is alot of killed animals by cats and foxes per year, but how many prey animals are born a year, and how many predators are born a year? And deos the number killed by cats include house cats? If that includes house cats, than much of that number depends on that. Then it's not the cats fault but the owners/humans when they have the ability of keeping their cats inside. So then that part of the number relies on humans. I had trouble wording my post, so I am very sorry if it's hard to read.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
But if there weren't any foxes or cats, that would drastically change the life cycle. No one likes animals killed, but if the predators don't do their job, we would have an overpopulation problem. That is alot of killed animals by cats and foxes per year, but how many prey animals are born a year, and how many predators are born a year? And deos the number killed by cats include house cats? If that includes house cats, than much of that number depends on that. Then it's not the cats fault but the owners/humans when they have the ability of keeping their cats inside. So then that part of the number relies on humans. I had trouble wording my post, so I am very sorry if it's hard to read.
I believe they're not native & upsetting the existing balance?

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Foxes and cats are not native to our country (so have no job as a predator here) but they thrive in our environment, they have caused many of our natives to become seriously endangered and many others are now extinct. They are not required here to keep other populations down but they have destroyed many of the populations causing a major imbalance in the natural system... One-Tenth of Native Mammals in Australia Are Extinct: Blame Cats And Foxes

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Foxes and cats are not native to our country (so have no job as a predator here) but they thrive in our environment, they have caused many of our natives to become seriously endangered and many others are now extinct. They are not required here to keep other populations down but they have destroyed many of the populations causing a major imbalance in the natural system... One-Tenth of Native Mammals in Australia Are Extinct: Blame Cats And Foxes
When you include that bit of information, it changes everything.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought I should share something with you people, though it's not exactly my experience. My husband went to North East India last month, on some official job. That is a hilly terrain, natural habitat for lots of exotic fauna. On his first night there, he found one of these inside his cupboard:jawdrop1::wtf:... They are called geckos, only 12 to 14 inches long... Their call can be heard from quite a distance! You can imagine his reaction on that night:p:rnfrt:.... After few days, though, situation changed. Hubby understood that they are harmless (though bites if scared) and a cohabitation was possible.

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I thought I should share something with you people, though it's not exactly my experience. My husband went to North East India last month, on some official job. That is a hilly terrain, natural habitat for lots of exotic fauna. On his first night there, he found one of these inside his cupboard:jawdrop1::wtf:... They are called geckos, only 12 to 14 inches long... Their call can be heard from quite a distance! You can imagine his reaction on that night:p:rnfrt:.... After few days, though, situation changed. Hubby understood that they are harmless (though bites if scared) and a cohabitation was possible.
I love the little geckos. They are always in our house somewhere and the babies often move into the bottom of Burt’s cage and then move on once they’ve grown to a decent size.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just look at this cutie! Indian pariah
dog is a very old breed, their origin can be traced back to pre historic era. They are very intelligent, hardy and friendly. Indie dogs can be excellent pets. We have plenty of them in our surrounding

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Urban foxes have been a massive problem in the UK over the years getting bolder over time, there have been a number of babies attacked in there gardens and in there homes ( when foxes sneaked in through open doors ) most of the attacks happening in the day.
Definately not cute.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Urban foxes have been a massive problem in the UK over the years getting bolder over time, there have been a number of babies attacked in there gardens and in there homes ( when foxes sneaked in through open doors ) most of the attacks happening in the day.
Definately not cute.
My favorite actor David Tennant has spoken about how annoying and destructive Foxes have been in his London garden so he did something rather wild to keep them out which he said does work but it's hard to upkeep but I was like wow if he's willing to do that they really must be awful to have around.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Foxes are actually apex predators in the UK once they reach adulthood there is nothing that can predate them.