• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please share pics or interesting information you have of any wildlife that is normal for you to see where you live.

I really love the squirrel pics (because they are cute and I have never seen one in real life) and many of the other pics of birds and animals that don't live in my country but I just realised (after hearing about Civet cats being a problem for @SumitaSinh) that it may be quite educational and interesting to hear about and see what animals others here regularly see and deal with in their yards or local areas.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A very informative thread. Following...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not the best shots cos I’m crap with photos sorry.

Our resident golden orb spider who has recently laid eggs (and spilled a heap) and wrapped them up in tree leaves so hopefully soon we’ll see those hatch and take off in the wind.
895F59C3-9C60-443F-8A48-BA5E2F77CD56.jpeg

A couple of red rumps feasting on grass and weed seeds for breakfast. 075455EF-26BB-4DE1-83BB-7C7FD988E978.jpeg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
There's a rabbit that lives around here, she tried to burrow in our yard but moved it elsewhere.

20220520_153013.jpg

Here's a picture from last summer of a firefly

20210628_170351.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here are some of the wildlife around here, most common would be the Quaker parakeets and the little lizards,

Screenshot_20220610_110017.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105637.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105628.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105727.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105914.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105905.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105748.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105618.jpg Screenshot_20220610_110003.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105850.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105811.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105835.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105650.jpg Screenshot_20220610_104054_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105821.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105714.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105658.jpg Screenshot_20220610_105457_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20220610_105738.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Zara Omg the little lizards are adorable. Is there something going on with the sparrows foot? Thank you for sparing me from what I can only imagine is something that you know I really do not want to see.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Omg the little lizards are adorable.
Right? That last little chunk is my favorite! :heart: Precious!

And thank you @taxidermynerd. I've never seen a firefly up close. It's prettier than I expected. :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Following so I can add pics later. Great idea!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there something going on with the sparrows foot?
No, it´s a dry leaf. I thought the same that day until they moved. This is the little guy that passed away though :(

Right? That last little chunk is my favorite! :heart: Precious!
He was spying on me in the shower. Put him in a tub to take him outside :rolleyes: I find if I try taking them out in my hands they spook and drop their tails.

so I can add pics later.
:popcorn2:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This squirell has been turning up twice a day for about 3 years he comes to the door to let you know he's here so you can go out and give him some nuts.

20220511_155500.jpg 20220511_155458.jpg 20220513_104718.jpg
20220513_104720.jpg
20220513_104743.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
On land mostly small anoles, land crabs, and giant iguanas. The iguanas are an invasive exotic & disrupt not only my garden but the rest of our local ecosystem by eating native bird eggs. There's actually a bounty on them & several extermination services :confused:
Key deer are a few islands away but I couldn't resist one pretty pic of them and one pic of them trying to get in my car when I was just trying to go to dinner :roflmao: They're about as big as a medium sized dog.

By sea... only counting what we've spotted off the portion of sea bottom that is technically still our yard :hilarious: mostly manatees (one pictured), southern and cownose stingrays, bull and bonnethead sharks, sea turtles, and dolphins, parrotfish and a variety of other small tropical fish

By air we have osprey, pelicans, egrets, herons, the occasional flamingo and roseate spoonbill, frigates, bald eagles, cormorants, ibis, and pileated woodpeckers.

IMG_8349.jpg
IMG_8350.jpg
IMG_8352.jpg IMG_8351.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
We got Robin's, squirrels, blue Jay's, grackles, I think starlings?(those birds are the most skittish) golden finches, house finches, praying mantis, western kingbirds,northern flickers,downy wood peckers, turtle doves, Turkey vultures and some others. I'll try to snap some pics, but this is going to have to do for now.
Golden finches
20220524_165817.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do cows count? Cos they are literally everywhere here:rofl:
Screenshot_20220610-174116_Instagram.jpg

It's quite common to see herons, but they are shy and hard to get a picture up close. Red Kite birds also fly about above constantly and every now and then I see a woodpecker in our garden.

We also get foxes and martens (like weasels) which sound like screaming children when they mate o_O

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
On land mostly small anoles, land crabs, and giant iguanas. The iguanas are an invasive exotic & disrupt not only my garden but the rest of our local ecosystem by eating native bird eggs. There's actually a bounty on them & several extermination services :confused:
Key deer are a few islands away but I couldn't resist one pretty pic of them and one pic of them trying to get in my car when I was just trying to go to dinner :roflmao: They're about as big as a medium sized dog.

By sea... only counting what we've spotted off the portion of sea bottom that is technically still our yard :hilarious: mostly manatees (one pictured), southern and cownose stingrays, bull and bonnethead sharks, sea turtles, and dolphins, parrotfish and a variety of other small tropical fish

By air we have osprey, pelicans, egrets, herons, the occasional flamingo and roseate spoonbill, frigates, bald eagles, cormorants, ibis, and pileated woodpeckers.

View attachment 408671
View attachment 408672
View attachment 408673 View attachment 408674

View attachment 408675
So, this is manatee... I have read about them.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a smattering of my local wildlife.

Black Vulture hanging out at a church, this was a very lucky spot on a very overcast and rainy day hence the poor quality, but I was still so thankful for the sighting.
Black Vulture at church.jpg

Blue Jay on a stump at work I love watching him fly around hunting his favorite bugs.
Blue Jay on stump.jpg

One of my favorite pics I've been lucky enough to get of a male Grackle
Male Grackle screaming.jpg

Sunbathing Cormorants
2 Cramorants with wings out .jpg

Not sure what species of Duck this is but what a gorgeous specimen!
black and white duck edited.jpg

Adorable baby wild Bunny grooming himself.
Bunny grooming.jpg

Very angry Canadian Goose defending his mate!
Canadian Goose with wings out.jpg

Cardinal among the leaves.
Cardinal among the leaves.jpg

Beautiful Egret at the pond on the way home totally unexpected shot that I was super lucky to get while we were waiting for the light to change.
Egret at pond.jpg
I
t wouldn't be a proper post without the precious Momma Squirrel who defines my local wildlife with how wonderful and photogenic she is :heart:
Momma squrriel on tree branch eating nut.jpg

Lovely Pidgeon on a lamppost
Pigeon on light.jpg

Red Eared Slider relaxing on his log
Red eared slider on stump.jpg

Extremely hard to capture Woodpecker he wouldn't stay still or in focus for nothing this was the best shot out of about 44 attempts.

Woodpecker.jpg

A very angry Dove! Never have I seen one so angry looking,lol
Angry Dove.jpg

And finally, my absolute favorite local wildlife that I'm so lucky and blessed to have is the majestic and regal Red-Tailed Hawk they are my main subject that I am always striving to get better and clearer pictures of. I have adored them since I was 5 years old and my love and desire to see them has never waned so it felt like the perfect way to close this post out :)
Red Tail soaring.jpg

Last edited: