• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I also have a wasp nest that has been harassing me for the last few years. And I’m SURE that birds are nesting in an area in my roof. I don’t even want to begin to find out what kind cus I will just go into a rabbit hole. And it’s less now, but I saw a very bold feral cat on top of my neighbors trash, very exposed, helping himself on Garbage Day haha no shame, just like hayyyy I’m eating. Lately, it’s me and my tortoise Rexy just crossing the street for exercise, meeting people and staring at dogs.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Pipevine swallowtail in my joe-pye flowers! Seemed to also lay eggs in them...while unsure a Google search says they do host swallowtail species. Definitely add to your garden if you can a pollinators magnet

20220712_160757.jpg

Also a noble scoliod wasp
20220712_115334.jpg
Many more pollinators visited today!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
View attachment 410161 View attachment 410162
This is the neighborhood duck. He comes and visits us everyday:heart2::heart2:
Lol, neighbourhood duck, that is awesome!
I once lived in a street that had a peacock who used to guard every front yard in the street, it was funny seeing strangers walk down our street all panicked and worried about being followed and harassed by the street peacock hehehe- to be fair he was a bit of a tool at times :laugh:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same fella from me but made me laugh as he hung here looking at me until i got up and got him some nuts.

20220714_171302.jpg
He is now sitting on a couch eating nuts no pics of that though as i dont want to bother him. 20220714_172452.jpg
He got on the back off the couch.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
A duck with angel wing IMG_20220714_163716~2.jpg IMG_20220714_163950.jpg IMG_20220714_163942.jpg IMG_20220714_163716.jpg
Angel wing means that this duck was fed too much carbohydrates and sugar. It will never fly :crycry::crycry: and it is preventable by feeding ducklings proper foods such starter and duck chow. NOT BREAD or HUMAN CEREAL.!!!!!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Saw this guy last night, my bug identification app says it's an oriental beetle.
View attachment 410188
Makes me wonder if you should report that to the Extension Office-- the United States gets WAY TOO MANY invasive species!
For example, we occasionally get Stink Bugs inside the house. I saw an alert from the Ext. Office regarding a new species, but dismissed it... When I checked the next Stink bug I found in the house--- WOW... it was the bad one... DANG!
Let us not forget: the Asian Beetle [bites] and the Japanese Beetle-- eats up our Hosta, Grapes, Rose, Elm, Oak, annual flowers... So please check it out! Thank you...

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
And a Florida White Butterfly, yep that's the name! Also a first for me@
20220717_113848.jpg
Might as well add this pretty blue fly
20220715_113137.jpg
And cute baby
20220717_113616.jpg

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Here's a smattering of my local wildlife.

Black Vulture hanging out at a church, this was a very lucky spot on a very overcast and rainy day hence the poor quality, but I was still so thankful for the sighting.
View attachment 408686

Blue Jay on a stump at work I love watching him fly around hunting his favorite bugs.
View attachment 408687

One of my favorite pics I've been lucky enough to get of a male Grackle
View attachment 408688

Sunbathing Cormorants
View attachment 408689

Not sure what species of Duck this is but what a gorgeous specimen!
View attachment 408691

Adorable baby wild Bunny grooming himself.
View attachment 408692

Very angry Canadian Goose defending his mate!
View attachment 408693

Cardinal among the leaves.
View attachment 408694

Beautiful Egret at the pond on the way home totally unexpected shot that I was super lucky to get while we were waiting for the light to change.
View attachment 408695
I
t wouldn't be a proper post without the precious Momma Squirrel who defines my local wildlife with how wonderful and photogenic she is :heart:
View attachment 408696

Lovely Pidgeon on a lamppost
View attachment 408697

Red Eared Slider relaxing on his log
View attachment 408698

Extremely hard to capture Woodpecker he wouldn't stay still or in focus for nothing this was the best shot out of about 44 attempts.

View attachment 408699

A very angry Dove! Never have I seen one so angry looking,lol
View attachment 408690

And finally, my absolute favorite local wildlife that I'm so lucky and blessed to have is the majestic and regal Red-Tailed Hawk they are my main subject that I am always striving to get better and clearer pictures of. I have adored them since I was 5 years old and my love and desire to see them has never waned so it felt like the perfect way to close this post out :)
View attachment 408700

I believe your beautiful unknown duck is a Loon! I could be wrong, but I remember them from camping when I was a child. They have a very unique call.