• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love wasps, important pollinators. None are ever aggressive unless defininding their nest. And important food source for Tanager, bluebird, fly catchers, American red start and more.
Southern paper wasp
View attachment 416257
Metric paper wasp
View attachment 416258
Potter Mason wasp
View attachment 416259
Southern yellow jackets
View attachment 416260
Blue Jay
View attachment 416261
Furrow bee
View attachment 416262
2 spotted scoliid wasp
View attachment 416263
Feather legged fly
View attachment 416264
Interestingly, they are the only pollinators of figs. Every fig we eat met a wasp. I believe the wasps also die in the flower so they literally make up our figs.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been going to Richmond Park a bit more recently and have seen a lot of deer. I was really hoping to see red kites, buzzards and hawks but all we've seen are jackdaws and crows. At least I've taught my city girl colleague the difference between them haha

Fallow bucks and does
PXL_20221023_145546088.MP.jpg PXL_20221023_145333486.MP.jpg PXL_20221023_145315417.MP.jpg

Red deer stag
PXL_20221102_130055632.jpg

Photos are a bit grainy because it's nearing the end of the breeding season and the males are still a bit lairy. I don't want to get charged!

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When yellow jacket workers run amok after the queen abandons them to go over winter, they are aggressive unprovoked. Not all wasps mind their own business all the time.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Interestingly, they are the only pollinators of figs. Every fig we eat met a wasp. I believe the wasps also die in the flower so they literally make up our figs.
Here they pollinate everything. Our main pollinators of flowers, berries bush, native fruit trees, grass, palms, sumac, oak, everything that flowers i find wasps of every kind . Also beetles and pollinator flies.

There is a project, Flower visiting wasps of the World on I Naturalist

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
When yellow jacket workers run amok after the queen abandons them to go over winter, they are aggressive unprovoked. Not all wasps mind their own business all the time.
Never found that to be true. I only have my crappie cell phone to take pictures of wasps. I have to stick it within an inch of them to get Pic, I even will hold the flowers they are on to take Pic. I've nudged them if they are on an underside of flower to move so I can get better pictures.
I've netted them and put in jars to get pictures if rare ones. I've waided deep into wild flower patches swarming with wasps to get pics. Like spotted bee balm that is chest high with multiple wasps of different species on the flowers all around me. Or goldenrods

99% of nature is not out to get humans, they want to flee humans.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OK, so if you didn't know, I live in a very touristy beach town. There's currently photos doing the round of a sighting at the beach....
Screenshot_20221126_162200_com.android.chrome.jpg

Make of it as you will lol though I did spot a flamingo down there not too long ago so I guess anything goes...

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
After looking at some photos the African penguin also looks very similar and that proximity fits a little better. But it would still be odd for them to be in the Mediterranean. I may contact your local marine life rescue/ support service and report the sighting. This penguin may need help. Maybe a zoo escapee, a freed illegal pet or a bird lost from confusing weather and currents.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A couple of folks are commenting saying it's a razorbill. Seems more feasible.
Awesome! That makes more sense :)
Clearly a lot of aquatic birds evolved similar patterns for protection in the water. It is amazing.