• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was sitting in the garden this morning from out of nowhere a red kite flew into the bushes at the back of the garden ( these bushes usually have small birds in )
It then run out from the bushes across the lawn and then was gone.
No pics happrned so fast i barely caught it with my eyes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Found a brown bat in the garage. Got him set up in the tree outside so he can recuperate and has enough height to take off when he's ready.

PXL_20220901_214843995.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Found a brown bat in the garage. Got him set up in the tree outside so he can recuperate and has enough height to take off when he's ready.

View attachment 412808
I hope you didn’t touch it. They carry diseases that can’t be cured if you catch them I believe so only immunised people should touch them and the only people generally immunised are those working with bats.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I hope you didn’t touch it. They carry diseases that can’t be cured if you catch them I believe so only immunised people should touch them and the only people generally immunised are those working with bats.
No I have zero desire to touch them. They are very bitey :lol: we have butterfly nets that we use to help catch and transport :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

View attachment 412808
Oh Wow! He´s lovely!
Glad you got him out into the tree! :bliss:

They carry diseases that can’t be cured if you catch them I believe so only immunised people should touch them and the only people generally immunised are those working with bats.
Good to know! :tup:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Grey wall jumping spider( localalized to Florida are i think)
20220902_145209.jpg
Possibly Smoky Oak millipede
In the American giant millipede complex
20220902_162616.jpg
20220902_162629.jpg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm not sure quite should how to describe it other than skunky. :rofl: Not helpful I know. Like certain animals have musky smell to them. Like ferrets, but skunk smell is kind like of a ×100 stronger and a x1000 worse! Lol.

Rookie mistake is getting the dog wet at the very beginning. Do so will only make the smell even stronger and make it last even longer. Getting either a home remedy or commercial product on first before getting him wet is key. You'll have a very good chance of getting all of the smell out if you do that.
This is a good home remedy: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.

I like adding a good round slathering toothpaste on after it to really make sure the the smell is gone or at least make smell it blend with a minty scent :laugh:

There are a couple products you can use. There's Knockout which is decent but I'd recommend add toothpaste after.

You really careful around the dog's face. Bitsy been have nailed right in the face so many times!! But if you're diligent and use more products than you think you'll need. Like really douse the sucker. You'll have minty smelling dog. Be sure really rinse him well after. Water is fine after you put something on him. I swear if you put water first the smell can last for weeks! It slowly gets fainter and fainter but it can last a really loooong time.

Can you tell this isn't my first Rodeo? :lol::holdontight:
Some pics of Bitsy. Also sidenote ideally you wanna do this outside. These are old pictures ;) View attachment 412587 View attachment 412588
I have used a large can of Tomato Juice with great success... twice. Outdoors of course, then a good rinse follows.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

View attachment 412808
You are not able to remove bats from inside your property in the UK as they are all protected. If they become a problem you have to report it to the authorities the send people to have a look and see if they can safely be removed if they are found to be nesting they wont touch them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You are not able to remove bats from inside your property in the UK as they are all protected. If they become a problem you have to report it to the authorities the send people to have a look and see if they can safely be removed if they are found to be nesting they wont touch them.
They are protected here too, but if they are in your living area you can remove them yourself, but you aren't supposed to kill them. If they are in the attic, they use a process where they install some sort of device that they can fly out but not back in, and they won't do it if it's breeding season.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Just a few hours ago around dawn I was outside in the garden tying up some sunflowers, etc that had gotten top heavy and were leaning too far over. I was working crouched down by the fence and suddenly I noticed this guy had come in silently and was standing less than 3 feet away from me on the other side of my fence. If I'd taken my camera out with me I could have gotten pics of his eyelashes.
So I ran in for the camera but he'd moved away and was having a bugle contest with a male across the road. I could hear female elk contact calls across the road too. I was surprised this guy didn't have a harem yet. I apparently wasn't his type.

IMG_8760 (2).JPG

IMG_8762.JPG

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How terrifying so close! It may not be a moose, but how different can it be?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How terrifying so close! It may not be a moose, but how different can it be?
He wasn't scary, he seemed to be feeling pretty mellow. We have moose moving back into the area and I don't think I'd ever take any chances around one of those. They are much more likely to be a problem. With elk I just lookout for the males in rut and the mamas with babies and I only rarely have a problem. Sometimes those mamas are in stealth mode and come out of nowhere.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I actually saw a small skunk tonight. I was atleast 50 feet away from him or her. Which is good cause I had Bits out with me. Thank God his eye sight isn't what it use to be. ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I actually saw a small skunk tonight. I was atleast 50 feet away from him or her. Which is good cause I had Bits out with me. Thank God his eye sight isn't what it use to be. ;)
I gotta say I am a tad disappointed- I was looking forward to a new Bitsy V's Skunk story :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please share pics or interesting information you have of any wildlife that is normal for you to see where you live.
Usually I can't see these guys, I hear them al the time while I hike the mountain out back. But I went to the village on the next mountain over with my mum and when we returned to the car, these guys were on almost all of the lampposts, it was bizarre. They were buzzing away and shut up as I got close, just like on the mountain but in the trees they're almost impossible to see. I've only spotted them one time out of hundreds.
IMG_20220916_121412.jpg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
9D017993-9C0A-4076-BBD4-BE8D14DA1A0A.jpeg
My sister captured this amazing photo on the family farm not too long ago! If you zoom in, you can see the intricate patterns, textures and colors.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw a porcupine the other day! I didn't get a photo (I never even think to take my camera out, womp) but he was so unbelievably adorable. Little dude had a train of like fifteen cars stopped in either direction waiting for him to waddle his way across the road, but of course he had to stop a few times to scratch an itch. Such a cutie.