• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
My creek

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Has to share this beautiful Eastern Tiger swallowtail who just visited
20220824_130741.jpg
20220824_130747.jpg

And my very own gopher tortoise that just moved into my yard! I'm going to see if I can qualify for registration of gopher tortoise habitat and get my sign. Its fir home owners living in harmony with at least 5 high value to tortoise native plants. I have lot of natives but unsure of tortoise yummy ones. The burrow is in a great spot ! Just outside my fence so dogs can't bother ..not that I think they would
20220823_135616.jpg

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was just sitting here having a coffee, and a blackbird came and landed on the balcony railing. I´d like to think it´s the little guy I snagged from that cat back in 2020 (though I don´t think so, I´m sure they fly far to search a mate away from where they were hatched).
No pic, didn´t wanna scare him, just enjoy him :swoon:

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
This is a view from my backyard -- this little pond is in a common space that runs the length of the block. At the other end of the block, there is a larger pond with a couple of pumps: one pumps water from a spring, and the other pumps water up to our pond, then it runs down a manmade creek to the other end again. This year, the ducks have been very successful breeders. It is also home to frogs and toads, and barn swallows keep the insect load at bay. There are a few great blue herons who visit daily, but usually solo, and only to get a quick snack.

But the ducks. :wtf: A few ducks are great. This many make a great big huge mess. They are mallards, though earlier this spring we had some black-bellied whistling ducks visit, and that was exciting.

I have become my parents...

IMG_0513.jpeg

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
In my backyard we get many different kinds of birds, most common would be robins, Bluejays, cardinals, chickadees, mourning doves, starlings and grackles. Occasionally we get different kind of woodpeckers. Mostly I see downy woodpeckers, but I've be lucky enough to see Pileated woodpeckers and Northern Flickers too. I also see little birds too, like golden finch, White-breasted nuthatch and house finch. Here's some old pics and my bird feeders attracted quite a few visitors FB_IMG_1661742048780.jpg FB_IMG_1661742030649.jpg FB_IMG_1661742037822.jpg FB_IMG_1661741997854.jpg FB_IMG_1661742165648.jpg FB_IMG_1661742154936.jpg FB_IMG_1661742124133.jpg FB_IMG_1661742112890.jpg FB_IMG_1661742089833.jpg FB_IMG_1661742070876.jpg
I think the little blue is a blue finch. So pretty and such a vivid blue! I've only one 2 or 3 times.

This summer I was lucky to have a Robin's nest in tree near our back deck. It was hidden and covered by lots of of leaves. But you could see it clearly form the ground. It was cool to catch glimpses of them during the summer. I think they had two set of eggs this year.
20220624_160424.jpg 20220621_201812.jpg 20220621_164656.jpg 20220624_160520.jpg

Attachments

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The mammals we get are squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, skunks (you smell them way more then you actually see them lol), bats and we a have groundhog we mostly see in the spring. There are foxes around but I've only the 4 or 5 times. I don't see raccoons too often, I did see one last night. I haven't seen bats in years until recently, it's nice to have them back. I can't remember the last I actually saw skunk, but you definitely know they around! Bits got spayed again this year. :eek: I see bunnies now and again. I haven't in a groundhog in awhile but he's cute. He's especially adorable when he stands on his hind legs. I mostly have pictures of the chipmunks 20190530_130827.jpg 20200704_190435.jpg 20200626_183654.jpg 20180808_140043.jpg 20180808_140125.jpg 20180808_140122.jpg 20211007_171640.jpg 20210711_180112.jpg 20210912_115805.jpg 20200626_183541.jpg 20220408_144629.jpg 20200704_190452.jpg 20180808_135857.jpg FB_IMG_1661742058949.jpg 20200704_190452.jpg 20180808_135857.jpg FB_IMG_1661742058949.jpg

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The mammals we get are squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, skunks (you smell them way more then you actually see them lol), bats and we a have groundhog we mostly see in the spring. There are foxes around but I've only the 4 or 5 times. I don't see raccoons too often, I did see one last night. I haven't seen bats in years until recently, it's nice to have them back. I can't remember the last I actually saw skunk, but you definitely know they around! Bits got spayed again this year. :eek: I see bunnies now and again. I haven't in a groundhog in awhile but he's cute. He's especially adorable when he stands on his hind legs. I mostly have pictures of the chipmunks View attachment 412570 View attachment 412572 View attachment 412573 View attachment 412574 View attachment 412576 View attachment 412577 View attachment 412579 View attachment 412580 View attachment 412581 View attachment 412582 View attachment 412583 View attachment 412584 View attachment 412585 View attachment 412586 View attachment 412584 View attachment 412585 View attachment 412586
Awww Bitsy you goose :rofl: I really have no clue what kind of scent the skunks have but from what I can work out from cartoons and movies with skunk sprayed people in them it is not very pleasant. How did you deal with Bitsy smelling? Like is a plain old bath good enough to remove the scent?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awww Bitsy you goose :rofl: I really have no clue what kind of scent the skunks have but from what I can work out from cartoons and movies with skunk sprayed people in them it is not very pleasant. How did you deal with Bitsy smelling? Like is a plain old bath good enough to remove the scent?
They smell a bit like burnt tyres.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm not sure quite should how to describe it other than skunky. :rofl: Not helpful I know. Like certain animals have musky smell to them. Like ferrets, but skunk smell is kind like of a ×100 stronger and a x1000 worse! Lol.

Rookie mistake is getting the dog wet at the very beginning. Do so will only make the smell even stronger and make it last even longer. Getting either a home remedy or commercial product on first before getting him wet is key. You'll have a very good chance of getting all of the smell out if you do that.
This is a good home remedy: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.

I like adding a good round slathering toothpaste on after it to really make sure the the smell is gone or at least make smell it blend with a minty scent :laugh:

There are a couple products you can use. There's Knockout which is decent but I'd recommend add toothpaste after.

You really careful around the dog's face. Bitsy been have nailed right in the face so many times!! But if you're diligent and use more products than you think you'll need. Like really douse the sucker. You'll have minty smelling dog. Be sure really rinse him well after. Water is fine after you put something on him. I swear if you put water first the smell can last for weeks! It slowly gets fainter and fainter but it can last a really loooong time.

Can you tell this isn't my first Rodeo? :lol::holdontight:
Some pics of Bitsy. Also sidenote ideally you wanna do this outside. These are old pictures ;) 20181004_022348.jpg 20181004_022726.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm not sure quite should how to describe it other than skunky. :rofl: Not helpful I know. Like certain animals have musky smell to them. Like ferrets, but skunk smell is kind like of a ×100 stronger and a x1000 worse! Lol.

Rookie mistake is getting the dog wet at the very beginning. Do so will only make the smell even stronger and make it last even longer. Getting either a home remedy or commercial product on first before getting him wet is key. You'll have a very good chance of getting all of the smell out if you do that.
This is a good home remedy: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.

I like adding a good round slathering toothpaste on after it to really make sure the the smell is gone or at least make smell it blend with a minty scent :laugh:

There are a couple products you can use. There's Knockout which is decent but I'd recommend add toothpaste after.

You really careful around the dog's face. Bitsy been have nailed right in the face so many times!! But if you're diligent and use more products than you think you'll need. Like really douse the sucker. You'll have minty smelling dog. Be sure really rinse him well after. Water is fine after you put something on him. I swear if you put water first the smell can last for weeks! It slowly gets fainter and fainter but it can last a really loooong time.

Can you tell this isn't my first Rodeo? :lol::holdontight:
Some pics of Bitsy. Also sidenote ideally you wanna do this outside. These are old pictures ;) View attachment 412587 View attachment 412588
Oh he just looks so unimpressed or ashamed (I can't work out which it is lol).

They need to put skunk scent in a spray bottle like they have fart smells in a bottle (totally revolting and immature :roflmao:), I am so curious to know what they really smell like lol.

Is it gross that I actually quite like the smell of ferrets?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh he just looks so unimpressed or ashamed (I can't work out which it is lol).

They need to put skunk scent in a spray bottle like they have fart smells in a bottle (totally revolting and immature :roflmao:), I am so curious to know what they really smell like lol.

Is it gross that I actually quite like the smell of ferrets?
No! No I don't mind the smell of ferrets. Its only slightly similar to ferrets. Skunk smell just has rotten twist it. Like ferret smell mixed with rotten eggs or something. It is meant to keep predators at bay. Although the smell apparently is not strong enough to deret my dog! :cautious::rofl:But not only does it smell bad, it can also be irritating to the skin. Especially if you really get nail with it like my dog has been numerous times! He's not the smartest. :facepalm::laugh: He'll rub his face and body on things trying to get it off. This is also where you have be careful cuz he will try rub the scent of to you! :shifty: Thankfully last time he got spray my brother was up and dealt with most of it and we have definitely learned from past mistake. Because the smell almost completely gone. Barely noticeable. Speaking of smells, someone sure is gassy tonight! And by someone I mean him 20220513_121550.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww poor Bitsy and his skunk encounters :rolleyes: :heart2:

:lol: Sarah, you really do sound like you´re a pro at dealing with it now! :embarassed:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was expecting Bitsy to be a small dog... :rofl:

Nothing like the sound of mourning doves! :heart:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was expecting Bitsy to be a small dog... :rofl:
:rofl: Too funny! Very reasonable though. He got the name Bits when he was a puppy. He has a sister that looks similar was named Kibble. So it was Kibble and Bits. But she was quickly renamed Mia. I would have renamed Bits too but he wasn't my dog at the time. I kind of hate his name, I call him Bitsy alot cuz it sounds slightly better to me. :hilarious:

I love Mourning doves coos. Chickadees' Chick-a-dee-dee-dees are so cute too:heart2:

Winn

Jogging around the block
Mr Bitsy melts my heart in the pic of him in the tub looking up.. ("But mom! I didn't MEAN to. I was just having fun..")

I also love the Mourning Doves' coos... especially early morning or late evening when all else is quiet. Kind of haunting and soothing all at once.