• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What am I Missing?

BlkForestK

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
K
Over the last couple days, Sugarplum has been beaking my husband and I really persistantly. Usually she'll get like this when she wants something (trip to the balcony, wants a snack, wants a bath, wants attention) but I've tried everything and I cannot figure out what she's trying to tell me. She isn't really biting, but it's very uncomfortable. :(
Video:
http://instagr.am/p/CCWfWOrFAVX/

BlkForestK

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
K
Put her down on the first safe, available surface as soon as she does that.
Have been doing this for the last 3 hours. Had to hold her just long enough to take the video. She's usually very gentle with our hands.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
What are you doing before she does that? Nothing?

My gcc started to do this out of the blue. I was at a loss. I began to realize she's bored just sitting on my hand and is beaking me to get a reaction/get me to do something. Like you said, she would normally do this to get you to do something but those things aren't working. It's probably she's just looking for any reaction or even just enjoys doing it.

I don't really let my gcc on me much now because after ten minutes she's beaking me pretty good. It's not biting like you said but it doesn't feel good.

Reactions: tka

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird looks bored and like it is making its own game or amusement to me- she is getting a cool reaction of OUCH! I would be getting her off me straight away, even before the bite comes- it was pretty obvious when she was going to go for another bite so I would just not allow that behavior as it will get worse and nasty.

Keep her busy instead of just sitting there with nothing to do and if you are going to just sit there then she needs to learn that for her to stay on you she must not bite you.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she’s young, she’s probably exploring and testing boundaries. All of our young lovies went through a more beaky phase when younger. Girls will tend to be a lot more so and then just never stop, lol, so if she’s really a girl....

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a Military Macaw that also does this. What are your suggestions for keeping them busy while you are holding them? Very rarely can I hold her for very long before she starts this behavior.

BlkForestK

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
K
Your bird looks bored and like it is making its own game or amusement to me- she is getting a cool reaction of OUCH! I would be getting her off me straight away, even before the bite comes- it was pretty obvious when she was going to go for another bite so I would just not allow that behavior as it will get worse and nasty.

Keep her busy instead of just sitting there with nothing to do and if you are going to just sit there then she needs to learn that for her to stay on you she must not bite you.
She's outside of her cage for 4-6 hours every day, and has two play structures with dozens of toys sitting just off screen. We work very hard to make sure she's entertained with foraging enrichment/toys/training. Do you have something specific to recommend?

We've been putting her down whenever she flies over and lands on us, which has helped a lot -when she can't chomp us for her amusement, she suddenly becomes interested in her toys, LOL

I'm wondering if the heat wave we're dealing with right now has something to do with her bad attitude? Until this week, she would spend hours on my shoulder with no problems.