• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What am I doing wrong?

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi guys. I have recently lost my feathered friend to a viral disease. The vet suspects PDD, although the final test come back negative, but the vet did say they struggled to get the amount of blood from Oxo for the comprehensive tests, and that a negative for PDD doesnt mean he didnt have it. The vet said he had other indicators of a Viral disease, some Viral infection markers in his blood, an inflammed and slow digestive system and enlarged Liver.

I just wanted to know of any tips to prevent diseases in birds as unfortunately, this is my second bird I have lost to a disease. I have had both birds from two different private breeders, and both birds have passed around the two and a half year mark, having been previously well, happy and lively.

Oxo was on a 50/50 seed pellet mix when he lost his battle, but didnt really try pellets. I tried crushing these and leaving them on a conuter top, as he liked to pick breadcrumbs up, but hed still ignore the pellet crumbs. He ate veg frequently, but wasnt a hugh fan of fruit and would only tend to destroy it for a bit. I never give him any supplements, and his treats were Millet (about 2 sticks a week) and a cockatiel treat bar that would be on his play stand, he'd only eat about one a month of these. His 'bad' food was the occassional crisp, a drink of cold tea and went crazy for soup whenever I had a bowl. None of these were to excess, and he'd literally have a few licks of the spoon when i'd finished. There was never any air freshners, candles or smelly stuff in the house (except for a room diffuser upstairs in a closed off bedrooom). I did use a teflon ridgemonkey pan around once a month, that was unforunately used around Oxo until feedback here prompted me to bin the pan (maybe too late). He got excercise everyday, and liked in particular to chew the tassles off my hoodies (dont know if this was bad behaviour on my part letting him).

Oxo never come into direct contact with other birds, although me and my children do alot. The kids are avid lovers of all birds, so most weekends we would visit Martin Mere bird reserve and hand feed a large variety of birds, although we ALWAYS used the hand sanitizer provided by the place. We would also visit a friends house with Hens and various petting zoos where we would handle chicks/hens/ducks, again, I'd like to say all hygeine rules were followed, washing on entry and exit of these places.

I'm not ready for a new bird friend yet, but the joy they bring me and my family dicatates that we will have a new feathered family member in the future, but I cannot do this until I have corrected whatever I may have done wrong. I have binned all of Oxos cage, playstands, Toys and food and treats in case they were contaminated.

Thanks and I look forward to any advice or links

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have binned all of Oxos cage,
That may not have been the best idea... now you will need to buy a new cage if and when you get a new bird. As long as you properly cleaned it with F10 or steam, then it would have been fine...

I don't really know about your main query. I do, however, know that human saliva is very dangerous to birds, so the licking of the soup spoon after you finished really is not good for the birds health. Also, I would say no to giving any bird crisps, if they are seasoned. They often have high levels of salt in them, meaning not great for anyone, let alone little birdies.

Hopefully someone else will chip in and help you out.

@SkyLark @Mizzely @Zara @Khizz @Ripshod @Tiel Feathers @AutumnRain

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks Ali, I had no idea about the human saliva :( I'll be sure to stop that and never feed them a crisp again. Its crazy, my first cockatiel would eat anything and everything and lived a long life, but I know some animals/people can tolerate a bad style where as others cant, so I'll definitely cut it out. I dont mind about purchasing a new cage, Oxo's was hugh and couldnt really be stored anywhere, and I couldnt look at it empty and my youngest kept going over to it, shes only three so lacks whats happened to her friend. Thanks for the tags too @Ali

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I didn't know about saliva either until coming here!

I am sorry you lost your cockatiel so early. I hope you can I find out if it is a problem with the environment or just you have been unlucky.

Have you considered an autopsy to see if they find anything wrong that didn't come up from the tests?

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks @Ali I'm afriad not on the autopsy, and Oxo has already been cremated. I wasnt really thinking clear when I took him, as I didnt know he was leaving me until the visit. The vet did offer me to return back after taking Oxo home for the family, but I have a personal outlook that our family should be remembered in their best times, sitting on a kids head playing with their hair, or going crazy to certain adverts on the radio, he'd lost that for the last 3 weeks, and with the weight loss, tail bobbing indicating breathing issues and constant vomitting, I couldnt extend his suffering any longer.

Thats all I want to know, and although I'd be upset to find out its something I'm doing, I'd rather know so I can fix it.

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes its bad genetics or just bad luck.

Taking a bird to the vet when you first get them can help ensure you are starting with a healthy bird.

Monitor droppings and weighing your bird on a regular basis will give you the first clues if your bird is sick. As prey animals they hide illness as long as possible to avoid being a target for predators, so once they are showing signs they are often quite ill.

Making sure their diet is complete - with either pellets, seeds, and veggies or veggies, seeds, and a multivitamin - will help give them the best chance of living healthy lives. They need Vitamin A from pellets or orange veggies, Calcium from pellets or dark leafy greens, and Vitamin D3 from the sun (unfiltered, not through a window) or a pellet/multivitamin, all of which seeds lack.

Letting them fly will keep their heart healthy. A large cage (32 in by 20 in or thereabouts for a cockatiel) will make sure they have plenty of room to exercise even in the cage.

Ensuring they don't have access to unsafe metals (only stainless steel or nickel plated), or unsafe materials and foods. No Teflon - some appliances have it too so you have to check.

Washing their food and water bowls daily, too.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks @Mizzely, I never took Oxo to the vet until he got ill, so I'll be sure to take my next one right away. What do you recommend the vet does? I take it a comprehensive blood test is too extreme?

I didnt weigh Oxo oftern, but I checked his droppings daily, or whenever he left me little presents when he was outside, and his cage was always changed daily, and food and water changed daily, although, been honest, I wouldnt "wash" his food bowl daily, if he'd spent alot of time out of the cage and ate at his playstand, i'd just blow husks off if he hadnt touched much of his cage bowl.

Someone suggested the metal toxicity, and I spent about 10 hours miticulously checking Oxo's hotspots and there is no evidence of him eating anything, other than my hoodie. Early on, he used to chew a leather dining chair, but that got swapped for wooden benches.

In the final weeks, I weighed him continuously and it was really easy to do, so I will build that into a routine with my next friend.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ask your vet what they recommend :) I usually do at minimum disease testing, a gram stain, and basic bloodwork to get a baseline for them.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you take comfort in your happy memories together. :sadhug2:

I would suggest that you not give your next bird chips. A lot of them have onion powder in the seasoning, and onions, even in a small amount, can be toxic to birds.

As for pans, stainless steel, cast iron, and ceramic are all safe choices for our birds.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
@AutumnRain :jawdrop1: thanks for the info, and were taking much comfort from the cheeky times together.

I had no idea of onions been toxic to birds! Its never something I ever offered to Oxo. Do you think the crisp could have contributed to Oxo developing a virus, as I thought he would have had to have had some sort of secondary contact will an ill bird? Or just had an effect on his ability to fight them?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry again about Oxo. I'd be curious to know if the breeder had any other birds with heath issues. I don't think a crisp would contribute to a virus. Possibly the handling of the other birds though.... It's good that you sanitize your hands. I would even go one step further and actually change your clothes when you get home before handling your bird if you are handling other birds. Although at this point, we're really guessing and I don't want you to beat yourself up thinking what if I did this or that. It could very well have been something Oxo had before you got him or a genetic predisposition (since the vet doesn't now for sure, right?) I hope you welcome another bird into your home soon. Are there any rescues near you? We have a lot of tiels in need of good homes here. And our rescue at least, has all the birds vet checked before they're adopted out.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:
Don't beat yourself up for something you might not have done.
If you do decide to get a new bird, first vet visit, make sure s/he's on a pellet and seed diet, (with perhaps a bit more pellets than seeds) and make sure to sanitize your hands and change clothes after touching other birds. No junk food, or human food, but there's really not much you can do if the bird decides to fly on your bowl :lol:I know that Corky (my tiel) is quite in love with rice and bread, so occasionally he'll get a grain of cooked rice and I make birdie bread for him. :) My hope is to trick him into thinking he's eating human food, not bird food :rolleyes: Maybe that's something you could try :) Other than that, as long as you do the three main things, vet check, diet check, and wash hands and clothes check (for humans), Your tiel should live a nice ad happy life. Oh, and don't forget the enrichment, out of cage time, etc, but I'm sure you already know about that. (right?) Did I miss anything?

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
@sunnysmom Thanks for your kind words. I never changed clothes of me or the kids after bird visits, as to be honest, as naive as it sounds, I didnt realise it could pose a danger. But i'll be taking this advice on heavily. I've never thought of taking a bird on that needs rehoming, but it is something I will think about, as I love the idea of giving something a family thats currently unclaimed.

@SkyLark Love the idea of bird friendly "human food". He was obsessed with whatever I was eating...hed fly on to my shoulder when eating and watch, then snatch something off the fork. I'd put him on the playstand, and then hed directly go for landing in the plate :laugh:.

Thanks for your input, I'll change my approach to cross bird hygeine, feeding "human treats" and make sure I visit a vet early and ask for the tests suggested by @Mizzely. I will spend a bit of time locating a suitable vet and may check out some rescue centres.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@AutumnRain :jawdrop1: thanks for the info, and were taking much comfort from the cheeky times together.

I had no idea of onions been toxic to birds! Its never something I ever offered to Oxo. Do you think the crisp could have contributed to Oxo developing a virus, as I thought he would have had to have had some sort of secondary contact will an ill bird? Or just had an effect on his ability to fight them?
I don't think it would have been toxic, because it sounds like it was a tiny amount. It's just something to be aware of for the future. I agree with @sunnysmom about the virus part.

This site has so much information on parrot diet (It opens as a PDF): World Parrot Trust

This site also has a lot of information on safe fruits and vegetables for parrots: Riverside Veterinary Clinic

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that there's no way to know what contributed, and holding space for the good memories is the way to go.

There are a couple of really great aspects to adopting from a rescue that haven't been mentioned yet. First is that they are typically adults, and you can get an idea of their personality. Second is that the staff will be able to help match you with a bird they think will fit well in your situation.

Again, I'm sorry about your friend.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Without tests and deeper investigation no one can tell you what the cause was for loosing your two last birds- genetics, environment, diet could have all played a part and sometimes things just happen for no explainable reason.
There are so many things that our birds don’t do well with and it’s the same with stuff they don’t need but we give them anyway. Even little things we do that seem ok can be a bigger problem than we realise. Human foods are often yummy to them but also not good at all. Tea, coffee and soft drinks are something I see and hear of people sharing in small amounts often.... it’s not safe and not needed but people do it anyway because their bird enjoys it etc.

I also advise that with your next bird you make sure if you’ve been out enjoying the company of strange birds that you change all your clothes (shoes too) and shower and isolate any items that were near the other birds to reduce chance of passing anything on to your birds. It happens so easily that it’s crazy!
I had a friend who was going to visit but after realising I had birds (she didn’t know) she said she couldn’t visit that day as she had to go to work straight from my place and didn’t have time to detour home to shower and change before work..... she works at the chook farm and they have to sign a serious legal agreement to stay completely sterile of bird diseases. She can never own her own birds while working there. There are some diseases that can be very easily transmitted.

Stick around! You’ll learn heaps from our great members which will benefit both you and your next bird :)