• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What age do mustache parakeets wean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikamom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joan
Since I did not expect to get this baby- I have been learning as I go. I have seen different ages that they wean - any where from 8-14 weeks. Little Beep- Beep is 5 1/2 weeks so I know I have a while to go yet but I am trying to get a better idea. He is still on 3 feedings right now but I think he is almost ready to give up a feeding judging by how much millet and pellets he is eating between feedings. I am not going to rush him at all- just want an idea of what to expect.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
As far as I know, we do not have any members breeding them. We barely have a few members that even have them. Good luck finding the answer.:)
This says 10-13 weeks
ParrotFeather.com | Moustached Parakeets

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
It's been 4 years but as best I can remember, Schubert weaned about 10-ish weeks, although near the end he would alternate between real food and wanting a meal or two of formula intermittently, every couple of days or so. I missed handfeeding when it was over - my baby wasn't a baby anymore. Keep an eye on his weight too. He did lose some weight as he began to fledge - worried me some but turned out okay. Schubie weighs a solid 130 grams now - his weight rarely varies at all.

pikamom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joan
Thanks for the help! I am shooting for at least 10 weeks. Beep- Beep is 150g already and still growing! He's flapping more and more so I think he will fledge in the next week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.