• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s up with phoenix’s eye?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
C5017937-3B9B-454A-B5E7-E71A4B7B2607.jpeg
It wasn’t like this when I woke him up this morning, Im at a loss for what it could be. I don’t think its vomit as I don’t see any evidence of vomitting in the cage and its only around his left eye. There’s no blood. There’s no crust/anything that resembles puss. And he seems perfectly fine about it (he is occasionally scratching and rubbing but there is one feather sticking out, i think he is trying to move it when he does rub/itch)

It’s worth noting Raiju has been rather mean to him lately. I started a new job and had to change their sleep schedules rather abruptly so I could see them still, and found out after about a week that they were only getting about 6 hours of dark sleep because I didn’t change the light schedules properly :facepalm: completely my fault. But as of last night they are fixed, so Raiju still needs some time to get his hormones back in order. I almost wonder if raiju did something to hurt it? He has bent phoenix’s tail feathers already.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Is it possible he may have scratched it?
Poor wee guy. I hope it clears up soon.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've always been of the mind that eye stuff should get seen by a vet sooner rather than later. Eyes are so sensitive and issues seem to go from 0 to 100 so quickly. Can you send photos/video to your vet to rule out if he needs to be seen or not?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may have rubbed it a bit too much on a toy or perch? Does it seem to bother him? You could send a photo of his eye to your vet to see if Phoenix needs some attention.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you tried offering a bath?

Are you able to move the feathers and have a peak underneath?

I would just check to see if there is anything underneath (cut perhaps), or pins.

Sme of my birds eye areas get a little tatty during moults.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So it had gotten worse after posting. He came to me for help - his eye was shut, and he was desperately rubbing it on my face and hands. I managed to see what it was finally, and you can actually see it in the video here:
B8F38295-A785-46F5-A734-1A6A3819632A.jpeg
it was so thin and small it was nearly impossible to see, im not even sure what it was. i tried to pull it out myself but there was too much resistance i didn’t want to hurt his eye- so i got him wet and he managed to get it out himself.

his eye didn’t bother him at all after that, but he wasn’t able to shut his top eyelid and his eye was pretty watery. my boyfriend said it’s probably because it was irritated for so long, and i hope he’s right. i’m going to get eye drops for him later and if his eye doesn’t look any better after i wake him up i’ll take him imto the vet.

edit to add: i also separated raiju for the time being so phoenix didn’t have to deal with his antics while he is trying to heal. but their cages are right next to each other

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
it was so thin and small it was nearly impossible to see, im not even sure what it was. i tried to pull it out myself but there was too much resistance i didn’t want to hurt his eye- so i got him wet and he managed to get it out himself.
So glad he was able to work that out - I am wondering if it might have been a splinter maybe from a perch or toy... hmmm... reminder to check perches.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
8585EE1B-6174-444E-9B0E-9860C6FF9530.png its a little better this morning but still not as good as i had hoped. i’m making an appointment with the vet, but in the mean time is this good to use for him?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
View attachment 437527 its a little better this morning but still not as good as i had hoped. i’m making an appointment with the vet, but in the mean time is this good to use for him?
@Shezbug might know
But personally I wouldn’t be putting anything in his eye that’s not professionally suggested by a vet

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
View attachment 437527 its a little better this morning but still not as good as i had hoped. i’m making an appointment with the vet, but in the mean time is this good to use for him?
Not all human medicines are safe to use. I do not know about that one in particular so I can't comment on that. I personally would only use water for feathers and maybe saline if you think he has something that could be flushed out of the eye but I would not really recommend messing with eyes- it really is a vet thing.