• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s it like for a conure to be rehomed?

Cosy-chlo

Moving in
My question is for those who have adopted adult conures from happy homes: what is rehoming like for them? Do they grieve terribly for their previous owners? Or are they more ‘happy go lucky’? Am I applying human emotions onto this situation?

*this is my first post, I hope I’ve done it right*

I love my meepy/jalapeño a lot. I’ve had her for about 4 years but in the last year or so I have developed an allergy to her. At first I didn’t worry too much, I got some top of the range air purifiers, upped my cleaning game, offer her frequent baths, put her on Harrison’s, created an “play house” upstairs to limit how long she’s down here when I’m working. However, my symptoms got progressively worse to the point where I now have chronic sinusitis (I can’t breathe out of my nose at all, which causes all sorts of sleep problems), I have been on steroids for months to no effect, in and out of the doctors and my lungs are chronically inflamed now too (allergic asthma) and i almost always have an itchy rash or two. I yearn to be able to breathe again, my claustrophobia is triggered from this which turns into anxiety and I’m just generally really not doing well mentally or physically. I also have an open plan downstairsand I’m sure that doesn’t help!

The thought of rehoming her is completely heartbreaking - she’s done nothing wrong at all, and she is the cuddliest (not good for allergies), sweetest little girl ever. She’s my best friends - she celebrates all my wins with me, she looks after me when I’m sad, she even talks and laughs. I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place here. It would be a lot easier if it “was in her best interest” instead of mine.
My partner has been taking on more responsibility to limit my exposure somewhat, but he’s not a bird person and values his peace and quiet (lol), so his stress levels have increased.

so I’m looking to test the water a bit, find out what it’s really like for a conure to be rehomed. She likes both men and women and doesn’t have a favourite human if that makes any difference. Any advice would be much appreciated!
1110EB65-68AB-46C4-B8CC-8A6210B5A34C.jpeg

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Each conure is different and handles things differently. I had a Nanday conure that we rescued because she was left out in freezing weather. She was very easy go lucky and adapted very easily and very quickly fell into a comfortable routine. She was not hand tamed but hand tamed very easily. The fact that your little guy is not particular as to people, he will likely adapt very well to a good adoption. It also helps if they don't have any special issues such as plucking, screaming, or other aggressive behaviors. I am so sorry that you are allergic but you really must take care of yourself. Others will likely chime in with their own stories.

Good luck with your endeavors. He is definitely a cutie....

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I can't say for conjures specifically, but I brought my cockatoo home, Isadora, from a family that had her for 15 years and really loved her so much.

The first week or two was hard. She was pretty withdrawn and anxious, would step up but was clearly uncomfortable, things like that.

Three months later and people think I've had her for years. We clicked once we started getting to know each other, and now she's my love.

Cosy-chlo

Moving in
I can't say for conjures specifically, but I brought my cockatoo home, Isadora, from a family that had her for 15 years and really loved her so much.

The first week or two was hard. She was pretty withdrawn and anxious, would step up but was clearly uncomfortable, things like that.

Three months later and people think I've had her for years. We clicked once we started getting to know each other, and now she's my love.
thank you, I am worried about that grieving period but it’s reassuring to know your girl is fine now.

Cosy-chlo

Moving in
Each conure is different and handles things differently. I had a Nanday conure that we rescued because she was left out in freezing weather. She was very easy go lucky and adapted very easily and very quickly fell into a comfortable routine. She was not hand tamed but hand tamed very easily. The fact that your little guy is not particular as to people, he will likely adapt very well to a good adoption. It also helps if they don't have any special issues such as plucking, screaming, or other aggressive behaviors. I am so sorry that you are allergic but you really must take care of yourself. Others will likely chime in with their own stories.

Good luck with your endeavors. He is definitely a cutie....
Hey, thank you for being the first person to reply to me! I understand what you mean about them all being different - your little one was very lucky that you saved her by the sounds of it. I do worry that because mine has got it soo good here that she will grieve badly. I wouldn’t want to visit in case it upset her but would ask for some updates initially. Feels very sad that our relationship will be reduced to me getting some text updates every now and then. Oh jeez. What a pickle I’m in. Thank you for your kindess.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All birds have an adjustment period after moving to a new home, but in my experience, most do just fine given time :) I've adopted birds from a breeder, a pet shop, craigslist, a friend, and a rescue, and I've learned that birds are much more resilient than we realize. I'm sorry you're facing this decision :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry that you're going through this. I help with a parrot rescue. Our birds come from various situations- from being a loved and cherished pet whose owner died to birds from hoarding situations that were kept in horrendous conditions. They all do fine. As was said, each bird is different and some take longer than others to adjust but I am always amazed at how resilient they are. I don't want to say birds don't miss their owners but I don't think they "miss" them like people would. I do think that's putting a human emotion on them. And when put in another loving environment, that new owner/family becomes their new "flock".

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm so so sorry for your health issues. Anyone can suddenly develop sensitivity, or life can through other things st us that lead is to have to make this tough choice . Loads of sympathy to you. Obviously you live her dearly !

I took in a re home quaker and she was very happy from day one , was like she had always lived with us.

I took in quaker from terrible circumstances, and she was angry st first...did seem to miss her person . But she adjusted and became so happy and really bloomed . And became my lovey.

So I echo above , they are each individual in how they handle change. But in loving new home there is every reason to believe they will be happy and room in their hearts to love someone new.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry you are having to rehome her she’s sound like an amazing little bird and I am sorry you are having health problems must be so hard but it shows how much you love her by still trying to give her the best life you can a lot of people would just lock her In cage and leave her and you haven’t gone that at all

I’ve just rehomed my friends conure she wasn’t hand tamed and is still a baby but she’s settling in well and we are slowly getting there she’s opening up a lot more in past few weeks

I think the fact you have given her so much of a good start she will warm upto her new owner/owners well and hopefully you could still get loads of updates if you decide to rehome her

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry you are facing this situation! My heart breaks for you :sad6:

Like Mizzely, I have birds from a pet store, a rescue, and a rehome from friends. They all required an adjustment period to my home. My birds were all standoff-ish at first, quieter, and not eating as well as they do now. But after this period of adjustment, and a lot of quiet, patient work on my part, my birds and I are all now part of a flock. Caveat: I don't have any green cheek connures.