• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We've tried that and it's not working...

rhia

Moving in
Great article!

We recently had our GCC stay with the breeder for a week while we were on vacation, and the breeder managed to rid her of almost all biting habits in just that time. However, as soon as she sat on my hand - she began biting me. "See!" the breeder said, "She knows you're spoiling her and she can get away with it!" -- so I was taught the correct reaction, and now she doesn't bite me.

And previously I had definitely been one of those "I tried that.." people :arghh:

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I just read through your whole post uninterrupted. It's really, really good! All are things I probably knew at one time, but it's great to see them put together in such a well-written article. :)

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
I finally had a chance to read this whole post. I completely agree! I took some behavior modification courses in college a few years ago and tend to forget what I learned sometimes, but after some frustration after I first got my lovebirds, I had thought about it.

They were not at all tame when I recieved them and it was very frustrating to get them back into the cage, I was toweling them at first (which made us all unhappy). I finally realized that it was me, and that I needed to have patience and remain calm.

With the right timing, reinforcement (millet), and some signals from me ...they get back into thier cage without any problems most of the time. The only time I do have problems is when they are let out at an odd time during the day, but I just walk away if they are not ready and try again a while later. Normally I can just tell them and and kind of wave my hand toward the cage.

It has helped in the taming process also, we still have a lot of work ahead of us but they do trust me enough now to preen me and hang out on me,lol. They just don't like my hands much, although Serenity will let me touch her now before taking a step away from me.

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
How do you get them back in their cages. Mine will not go back in. Even at dusk
Please help

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How do you get them back in their cages. Mine will not go back in. Even at dusk
Please help
Have you tried putting a millet spray in their cage, and seeing if they will go back into their cage to get it? If millet is not their favorite, you could reserve their favorite treat while they are out, and only put it in their cage when you want them to go back in.

Matt

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
add warm food it works dosent take much and makes life easy

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
add warm food it works dosent take much and makes life easy
Are you saying you put warm food in his cage and that motivates him to return to his cage? If so what kind of warm food. He is basically a seed eater I can't get him to eat pellets or vegetables.

Littlbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lorechelle
What an awesome very well written article!!:D
Thank You!
Something told me you had something to do with training animals too.
Left out the positive reinforcement thread,ie. ...
A quiet non screaming bird is a Wanted Behavior, everytime while the "Screaming "is still an issue.
When tweety is in the corner cooing, practicing words. This IS the time to get off the sofa and praise and give attention not the time to say, ,,"hot dang ,tweety shut up I'm gonna take a nap! " lol
Peace ¥

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Are you saying you put warm food in his cage and that motivates him to return to his cage? If so what kind of warm food. He is basically a seed eater I can't get him to eat pellets or vegetables.
did you try adding seed on top of the vegies we did that with budgies now the eat almost every thing .

adding seed they get to tast the vegie whrn they pick up the seed it takes time but dose work

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
How do I stop my pet tiel from landing above the cupboard in the kitchen, lol. She's only young. It's a very narrow area and she has to face the wall when she's there. I cannot reach to get her from that high so I have to use a perch, but is this making her want too there more when I get her onto a perch and bring her back to her cage or playstand or window perch or anywhere else

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How do I stop my pet tiel from landing above the cupboard in the kitchen, lol. She's only young. It's a very narrow area and she has to face the wall when she's there. I cannot reach to get her from that high so I have to use a perch, but is this making her want too there more when I get her onto a perch and bring her back to her cage or playstand or window perch or anywhere else
You block access to it so there's no where to land. Then provide an alternative place in there where she can land. It's all about how you setup the environment. Always is.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
yes that's a great post, thank you. i'd like to keep that close at hand as a reminder for when i'm wondering why they are not co operating.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You block access to it so there's no where to land. Then provide an alternative place in there where she can land. It's all about how you setup the environment. Always is.
Well the kitchen and living room are connected in my small apartment unforunately , there are no doors lol.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well the kitchen and living room are connected in my small apartment unforunately , there are no doors lol.
I think he means put stuff like pillows on top of the cupboards so she can't land there. Hang a gym close to the cupboard that she can fly and land on.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
You don't have to block access to the kitchen, just to the space above the cupboard. Since it is narrow, can you get a piece of wood to fill it in or block it?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A nice long strip of cardboard and some green painters tape (so it comes off nice and doesn't leave a mess) and presto, no more access.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
IMG_1421.JPG

This is what I mean :/ lol. Thanks for the suggestions, how would I use cardboard to stop her ? It seems she would just land on the narrow strip of cardboard instead?

Attachments