• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We've tried that and it's not working...

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I LOVE this!! Everything I have always wanted to say, but could never quite articulate it well enough!
SO helpful!!! We should just link to this thread everytime we hearthose words! LOL

Lara Joseph

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lara Joseph
What a great post, Vicki. What a great post.

A bird that has been screaming for 2 years was reinforced for how long in order to perfect that scream also. From my experience, undesirable behavior issues usually take more time being reinforced than being modified.

Thanks for posting this.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I LOVE this!! Everything I have always wanted to say, but could never quite articulate it well enough!
SO helpful!!! We should just link to this thread everytime we hearthose words! LOL
Thanks Kim!

What a great post, Vicki. What a great post.

A bird that has been screaming for 2 years was reinforced for how long in order to perfect that scream also. From my experience, undesirable behavior issues usually take more time being reinforced than being modified.

Thanks for posting this.
Wow, thank you so much, Lara! You know this means a lot to me coming from you:) Can't wait until you come out here!

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I think it's important to consider something you mentioned in response to an earlier post in this thread: the inherent behavior of each species. Sometimes people complain that their bird is screaming when in fact it is making a call that is made by that species in both captive and wild settings. The call may be used during certain times more than others, such as when looking for a mate for example.

To think we can eliminate natural behaviors because they are annoying to us is not realistic. Using behavior modification to help a bird adapt to our household makes perfect sense, but to attempt to eliminate an identifying trait of any species is unrealistic.

Young birds use noise to get their parent's attention when they are hungry. Once full, they don't make that noise. Females have a special sound they make when asking to be fed by their mate. Males often have an overpowering vocalizing they use if their flock is in danger. Unless we see these things take place and relate the noise to the situation, we might never know that a certain sound has a unique meaning, just as a bird's body language can tell us so much.

I know that it is much easier for me NOW, to recognize the subtle differences in my birds' vocalizations than I ever could have when I first began keeping birds. I look back and realize that the conures I owned in my 30s and threatened with becoming parrot stew were vocalizing loudly only twice a day and out of joy, rather than "screaming" like I considered it then.

We do the best we can, with the knowledge we have, and hopefully learn as we go along.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my goodness, look at all those Ekkies!

Ginger

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I think it's important to consider something you mentioned in response to an earlier post in this thread: the inherent behavior of each species. Sometimes people complain that their bird is screaming when in fact it is making a call that is made by that species in both captive and wild settings. .
Absolutely. It is unreasonable to think that we can just make natural behaviors go away completely. Obviously, birds vocalize and dogs bark naturally, the real problem is when owners reinforce the behaviors and then get frustrated that they continue to happen more and more often. If someone can't handle normal vocalizations from an animal, they shouldn't take that animal into their home and attempt to coexist with it. IMO

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Or this either...
" I have been covering the cage with a dark colored sheet when he screams because I want to establish right away that that is not acceptable.":mad::mad::mad:

somkat

Moving in
Real Name
Katherine Sommers
Got any advice for changing/retraining a double yellow head amazon who is 13 years old to stop attacking me? I've had him for 10 years and now he's decided he loves my boyfriend and hates me. He's become vicious with me and goes out of his way to find and attack me. I'm becoming afraid of him and I know I've not handled the attacks very well because I'm heartbroken and confused over what seems like a betrayal on his part. I could sure use some of your wisdom, Vicki, please?

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
Hey kat, i'd love to help and i'm sure i can. Please move your post to the amazon section (or start a new one) . You've come to the right place. We can help, we just need to get it to the right section in the forum. Hang in there.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Got any advice for changing/retraining a double yellow head amazon who is 13 years old to stop attacking me? I've had him for 10 years and now he's decided he loves my boyfriend and hates me. He's become vicious with me and goes out of his way to find and attack me. I'm becoming afraid of him and I know I've not handled the attacks very well because I'm heartbroken and confused over what seems like a betrayal on his part. I could sure use some of your wisdom, Vicki, please?
Yes please start a new thread so it gets the attention it deserves. The problem you are having is actually a quite common one.

The first thing you have to do is stop taking this behavior personally because it's not personal. Feelings dont apply. This is a bird just acting upon its instincts. It needs to be viewed as a pure behavior and understood. Once you understand what's really going on then the solution and the implementation of that solution is much easier.

Please start a new thread in the behavior section.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That is so hard to cope with. I agree it would be a good idea to start another thread about it. I would have several questions for you and then we could see if we could put together a plan for you.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geez Vicki, how did I miss this most awesome thread?! Excellent info! You know I have always respected your advice and opinion!:D

Meekcomehouse

Moving in
Such a wonderful post. I'm having a frustrating day with my bird (and it's only 9:00am), and I know everything you said. It just reminded me to hang in there, because tomorrow is another day and it could be a good one. I'm fortunate that we have more good days than bad, and considering we have only had her 3 weeks, I can't complain at all. Thanks for taking the time to put it into words for me :o:)

kookaburra

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne
Great post, Vicki! Thank you for sharing! :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Having a free Amazon isnt always fun when living in a small space , being attacked is one of the hazards and no one knows it better than me I am lucky most times. I see it comming and am able to ward it off all it takes is knowing your bird , Mango will not land on anything that has a cover on it ,,lol so I have a large towel handy and when I see hes playing rough with his toys I know sooner or later hes going to attack me im ready for it as i have it around my shoulders all I do is cover my head,,lol he flys past me goes back to his net I wait a few sections uncover my self remove the towel and he comes flying to my shoulder saying uh uh.

Same when my grandson moved in i could not be in the apt with him if Mango was free as i was attacked it took a few weeks when we were home same time keeping Mango in his cage but always around us letting him see it was safe for me to be in room with grandson now we all live in harmony , I dont get attacked.
Mango loves people but has always made me leave the room he started this when he was about 3 yrs old hes always loved who ever came in just made sure i left it takes time but learn the whys your bird is acting up and you will always find a way to make things better

remember there is no boss but there can be harmony if you realy get to understand your animal I have this form to thank for making me understand this , when something happens like Mango does something I try to put my self in his feet I try to think like him it helps but again its all thanks to this form you all sure have helped me to understand my Mango