• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We've caught conure fever-- and we want a rescue... or two.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Does anyone know of a rescue or shelter with conures near Somerville, ma?
I looked at a couple of shelters in my area, but they just had cats and dogs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you also have. budgies? If you do I suggest you think twice. Conures have very strong, domanent personalities.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
I sure wish they would find a cure!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Conures are SO EASY to care for! :rolleyes: Well perhaps not EASY, just a tad of a problem! :o: WELL... Ok! They are very time consuming, noisy and nippy! :shy:

YEP... So easy to care for! Alzheimers... whats that! :facepalm:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Luckily green cheeks are pretty abundant & there are some looking for new homes within a few months of being purchased as they are often bought as first time birds & people just don't realize how much work it is or how time consuming it is to take care of a bird.

I'd second checking out craigslist. Just be patient & sure you will find one soon & it may come with a cage.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
My green cheek gets along pretty well with my other small birds. Some days he is too grumpy and has to be kept apart but most days he does well. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised of course but depending on the green cheek it can work with supervision. Quakers I would be more leery of with other small birds and some people find they do awesome with their small flock members too. It just depends on the birds in question.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
We've already got Quijote the GCC and he loves our budgie Pearl. He's her little defender, as a matter of fact, and if you do anything that startles her you're likely to have to deal with him.

I was looking at animal shelters, but I guess a rescue is a rescue whether you do it direct from the irresponsible bird-dumper, or from a shelter.

Update: Looked on Craigslist and I don't see anything in my area.

Last edited:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I was looking at animal shelters, but I guess a rescue is a rescue whether you do it direct from the irresponsible bird-dumper, or from a shelter.

Update: Looked on Craigslist and I don't see anything in my area.
Keep looking. When you think you won't find one...you do, and look under everything: parrot, parrots, bird, cage, etc. Check the bulletins at your grocery store and pet stores (usually the small animal stores not the chain pet stores).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Keep looking. When you think you won't find one...you do, and look under everything: parrot, parrots, bird, cage, etc. Check the bulletins at your grocery store and pet stores (usually the small animal stores not the chain pet stores).
Sometimes the bird is included with the cage ... Maybe check with any local vets too.

And I'm sorry to hear you have conure fever aka MBS (multiple bird syndrome). At this time it is considered incurable .... and is likely to affect your wallet.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just let me know where you are and I can direct you to conures in your area or coordinate if I find someone...

BL21DE3

Checking out the neighborhood
@GCC_Quijote Let me know if you find any information! Boston here and looking to adopt a GCC sometime next year.

If you are willing to purchase I know that The Pet Shop on Harvard Ave in Allston has a pineapple GCC for sale. May as well be a rescue based on how poorly they seem to treat their birds.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
@GCC_Quijote Let me know if you find any information! Boston here and looking to adopt a GCC sometime next year.

If you are willing to purchase I know that The Pet Shop on Harvard Ave in Allston has a pineapple GCC for sale. May as well be a rescue based on how poorly they seem to treat their birds.
Nevins Farm in Methuen usually gets in a fair amount of parrots surrenders.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
The conure search is back on. (We had to pause and make sure we weren't being impulsive.)
One difficulty is we don't have a car. We have friends willing to take us to avian vet w/ our birds for any appointments or emergencies, but as far as actually picking one up we mostly have to walk. Though, we could potentially take an uber too.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I know someone in Dover, NH looking to rehome a pair of conures.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Conure fever here too ! Do you have a bird rescue near you, they might help with transport too . My bird store has the roseifrons for sale but my husband said no :(