• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wet Vent / Dry Crusty Vent on Scarlet Chested Parakeet

johndaily

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone. Today I was given a Scarlet-Chested Parakeet. She currently has a dried poopy vent area and (the green part of) her poop looks choppy and not in one solid line like all my other birds normally are.

A little bit about her past history. She was kept in an outdoor aviary and removed after her owner decided he wanted to downsize his flock and eventually get rid of his aviary to focus on other things. He offered me the Scarlet-Chested for free and of course being the beautiful birds that they are, I said I would take it. The day we were supposed to meet up, he called me and explained to me that he had noticed she had a wet vent a day or two after removing her from the outdoor aviary. He said he would hang onto her for a little longer until he felt comfortable relinquishing her. We scheduled another meetup about a week later and the day we were supposed to meet up I received another call from him explaining that her vent area had prolapsed and he described it as looking like a small raspberry hanging from her anus. He said he would hold onto her, for good. He was giving away his budgies so I decided to take those from him and before we met up, he asked if I had wanted the Scarlet. He explained to me that she looked fine, eating, drinking as normal and that she was her normal energetic self. I told him if all was good I would take her. He told me the only thing wrong was that her vent area looked encrusted in poop, and here we stand. We setup her quarantine cage after bringing her home and watched her for a few minutes. After a couple of hours of walking in and out of the room to check on her she looks absolutely fine and acts perfectly normal, with the exception of her vent and her poop. Does anyone know why this could be or if there are any remedies for me to clear her up?

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I don't know what's wrong with her, but i can tell you there are no remedies.
You need to try and clean her vent, and take her to an avian veterinarian.
Also make sure you keep quarantine very strict, you don't want whatever she has to get to your other birds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A well ness check is needed, hope she's OK!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Avian Vet asap

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran