• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wet sneezes

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
I've noticed my cockatiel has been sneezing a lot and it seems to have a bit of spray that lands on me (Yuck!)
I'm a bit worried because its quite consistent :depressed:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always think with wet sneezes a vet visit is the safest course. It can be a sign of a respiratory issue. How is she acting otherwise?

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
He doesnt have any brown around his nose or anything either, how much do you think is too much sneezing?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I dont want to be overreacting and go to the vet JUST because of sneezes :bored:
I would at least call the vet, explain the situation, and see what they recommend. A lot of times they will be willing to give the most basic instructions over the phone If it doesn’t sound like something that is serious enough to come in. But if they recommend you come in, definitely go. Respiratory stuff is not something to mess around with.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I would at least call the vet, explain the situation, and see what they recommend. A lot of times they will be willing to give the most basic instructions over the phone If it doesn’t sound like something that is serious enough to come in. But if they recommend you come in, definitely go. Respiratory stuff is not something to mess around with.
I second this!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He doesnt have any brown around his nose or anything either, how much do you think is too much sneezing?
Too me, more than one wet sneeze is concerning. Keep in mind I had a cockatiel that suffered from frequent bacterial infections. So, I definitely err on the side of caution. If I wet sneeze comes after drinking water or a bath or something like that, then it's understandable why the sneeze is wet, and I wouldn't be alarmed. But otherwise, I believe sneezes should be dry.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Burds are master's of hiding illnesses. This is hardwired by evolution, as sick burds are turned in and driven from the flock. Sick burds are targeted by predators.
Its harder on us humans to grasp instincts and hardwired behavior.

Birds often don't show what we think of as classic " sick bird " symptoms such as fluffed and down on bottom of cage till near death like hours from death. Some birds death is the only "symptom" even tho they were sick for weeks or months.

My gcc had one day of a few clear drops from one nostril. She was dead the next day. She never stopped eating or playing or vocalizing or fluffed. She had a past history of intermittent sinus infections , so I was going to take her to the vet the next day, I just didn't get the chance. She did end up having a sinus sbcess....my poor sweet girl.

So when we give advice to go to.the veterinarian with any symptoms its because we don't want people to loose their birds. And there is no way for us or you to really know how sick? It bites to spend money and find out they are fine, but I'd celebrate that, rather than tears over a death i did nothing to prevent.

BTW when I've ever had symptoms like excessive sneezes mine have always been sick. I've never been wrong to be concerned about minor seeming symptoms as they have always turned out to be sick. But I'd have been happy to hsve spent the money and been wrong !

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Burds are master's of hiding illnesses. This is hardwired by evolution, as sick burds are turned in and driven from the flock. Sick burds are targeted by predators.
Its harder on us humans to grasp instincts and hardwired behavior.

Birds often don't show what we think of as classic " sick bird " symptoms such as fluffed and down on bottom of cage till near death like hours from death. Some birds death is the only "symptom" even tho they were sick for weeks or months.

My gcc had one day of a few clear drops from one nostril. She was dead the next day. She never stopped eating or playing or vocalizing or fluffed. She had a past history of intermittent sinus infections , so I was going to take her to the vet the next day, I just didn't get the chance. She did end up having a sinus sbcess....my poor sweet girl.

So when we give advice to go to.the veterinarian with any symptoms its because we don't want people to loose their birds. And there is no way for us or you to really know how sick? It bites to spend money and find out they are fine, but I'd celebrate that, rather than tears over a death i did nothing to prevent.

BTW when I've ever had symptoms like excessive sneezes mine have always been sick. I've never been wrong to be concerned about minor seeming symptoms as they have always turned out to be sick. But I'd have been happy to hsve spent the money and been wrong !
he only sneezed a couple of times and hasnt sneezed heaps lately. It will take time to convince my parents to take me.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
He sneezed 6 times in only a few minutes but hasnt sneezed for a few hours now, i dont know if there is spray coming from the sneezes because he was in his cage when i heard them. My parents arent sure its worth going to the vet just because of sneezing and its around $200 or something that i will have to pay for :shifty:

macawww

Hit the Road
My cockatiel sneezes a lot if I haven't vacuumed due to the dust she herself produces. If I vacuum around her cage every day it isn't a problem. Have you been cleaning properly?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Too me, more than one wet sneeze is concerning. Keep in mind I had a cockatiel that suffered from frequent bacterial infections. So, I definitely err on the side of caution. If I wet sneeze comes after drinking water or a bath or something like that, then it's understandable why the sneeze is wet, and I wouldn't be alarmed. But otherwise, I believe sneezes should be dry.
my cockatiel sometimes sneezes and makes these wet exhales with his nostrils after he drinks water. Is this normal? He’s not getting any water into his nostrils.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
my cockatiel sometimes sneezes and makes these wet exhales with his nostrils after he drinks water. Is this normal? He’s not getting any water into his nostrils.
Is he dipping his whole beak in? Dies every thing else seem normal? Droppings, etc?