• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Wet sneeze??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
I'm a little nervous now (sigh).

Sunshine just sneezed 3-4 times on me...wet sneezes, like a kid who doesn't cover their mouth.

It was a little chilly in here last night & I had to close windows. I've been feeling sick myself & coughing and now I'm just panicky. His usual doctor is out if the country, so can't answer an email.

I'm trying to decide if this is "go to the ER worthy" or not....

Thanks guys....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if you think something is off, take Sunshine to the vet..better safe than sorry.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Is anything else amiss? My birds sneeze and sometimes they are "wet" - I don't think I've ever gotten hit with a "dry" sneeze. Is his nose runny or yucky looking?

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Nothing else off that I can see. Got a video of him playing just now. If anything he's seemed brighter and more happy lately? I will try & upload the video.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is the fluid clear and "light" or is it heavier and colored?

How do the nares look? Are they inflamed at all? Do they have any discharge or look crusty?

Jingo sneezes like this, 3-4 times, on occasion. I've noticed it seems to be a reaction to something, like dust or a cat using the litter box in a nearby room that triggers it.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
No icky colors that I saw, nares look normal but there was a little shiny damp inside after the sneeze?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Was he in the shower when it happened? Kiwi sneezes a lot when he bathes.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I get wet sneezes sometimes too, but its just a couple and i wasnt worried. If your concerened though, just call the vet and ask.:hug8:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
No, he was just standing on my hand at the time.

Since it's Sunday, I sent an email. If no one responds by tomorrow at 10 am or he gets worse, I'll call or take him over.

Here's that video: >http://youtu.be/nizNit0dwRA

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I took both of mine in yesterday for sneezing. It is concerning when you hear it more than usual. I am waiting for results to come back from cultures from their flush just to be on the safe side.

If you feel concerned, then hit the Vet. I did and I do not regret a big bill although it kept me from the SWS, their health is #1 to me.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it is a one time sneeze with discharge, I wouldn't be concerned. But if his sneezing is increasing in overall frequency or the discharge persists, I'd take him in.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
I took both of mine in yesterday for sneezing. It is concerning when you hear it more than usual. I am waiting for results to come back from cultures from their flush just to be on the safe side.

If you feel concerned, then hit the Vet. I did and I do not regret a big bill although it kept me from the SWS, their health is #1 to me.
I totally wish this were a possibility. For us, the vet that is good here is very expensive, which I will handle, but I also have a pretty serious anxiety disorder and OCD, so sometimes I get panicked about...nothing. Which means I have to weigh what is "panic" and what is legitimate concern, otherwise I will have NO money left. As it is, I'm not sure where Jan rent is coming from (just had my orientation for work, but it's still shaky...money is tight), so I don't want to be footing a $250 bill just to hear that it's nothing at all.

I will keep an eye on him, no sneezes since those four. I just never had a wet birdie sneeze before...man that was weird...he's seemed super energetic since then and has been yelling to be let out again. So....I will keep you all posted!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh I hear you on this. I had a week to agonize with keeping the appt for peace of mind. I kept it and went.I t was not something I would have been spending my money on but I was concerned because the sneezing seemed more than the usual. And with two, I had to take bothbecause they are around each other all the time.

I hope it is just the changing of seasons for the both of us!! :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have a tiel that "wet sneezes" occasionally also. Everything else is normal. I had a male tiel that the vet thought had a slight sinus infection at times - was told to watch him - and any change in eating, playing etc - to bring him in. He did not want to prescribe any antiobiotics unless necessary - thinking he would just build up a resistance to them and when really needed they would not work as well. But I did have a female tiel - who did develop pneumonia - not only was she sneezing - but I could hear a difference in her chirp - hard to explain - but she did sound like she had a cold. I took her in right away - she stayed 4 days at the vet - in oxygen and given antibiotics and recovered.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Ziya has wet sneezes sometimes too. Her vet told me not to worry as long as it's clear. But you know your bird best, and if you feel something is not right, take him in.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
So his nares are completely dry this morning, with no sneezing.

The vet got back to me and said she thinks that if there are no other symptoms, we are okay to watch him for now and schedule when Dr. Wyre gets back, if we feel that's necessary. Otherwise, she's fairly confident in her agreement with all of you, that it's NOT respiratory, it just happens sometimes. She also agreed with you guys when it comes to if there are further breathing/vocal changes, etc.

I think I do panic because with Dovey's....I should have known earlier. :(

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I know how you feel, I tend to think of upper respiratory things more seriously because of Milo's bout with asper.:hug8:

If it helps, Josie will also do this on occasion, just a couple sneezes and then she's golden. If he's behaving normally otherwise just keep an eye on him :hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
These avian's keep us on our toes:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.