• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wet Scarlet

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
LOL - aren't they both sweethearts?
I think being grabbed by both Maui and Rosie... I would pick Rosie and so would Joe. She didn't bite often, maybe once every two years but when she did you were bruised for months. Maui nips daily but good bites are every maybe 6 months. Lots of blood and pain for a few days but the scars are forever. Lol. Rosie needed a good damn reason. Maui just gets over stimulated and lashes out.

Still haven't been bit by a hy! Knock on wood

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Be sure to show us a picture of the stump when one of the Hys bites you.

I don't know - the first three years I had Hank, I bled a lot. I remember lying on the couch one day holding my hand wrapped in a bandage waiting for my hand to quit bleeding. It took forty minutes or more and all the time I was asking Hank why he did that, because I loved him and couldn't understand. I had a lot of bleeding bites, one that took about 1/4 inch of the tips of my index and middle fingers off. Hank always tried to amputate something in his earlier days. He was a very damaged bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Be sure to show us a picture of the stump when one of the Hys bites you.

I don't know - the first three years I had Hank, I bled a lot. I remember lying on the couch one day holding my hand wrapped in a bandage waiting for my hand to quit bleeding. It took forty minutes or more and all the time I was asking Hank why he did that, because I loved him and couldn't understand. I had a lot of bleeding bites, one that took about 1/4 inch of the tips of my index and middle fingers off. Hank always tried to amputate something in his earlier days. He was a very damaged bird.
You know... I almost always know "why". Even if the question is directed at say... Sakie. "cuz she is mean" :laugh: or "because she could". I have every excuse in the world for every bird. It's never their fault... doesn't mean I don't go in the other room and jump around yelling "damn" and "$%#@" because it hurts so bad. :rofl: I have a MUCH higher pain tolerance for the ones that get me often. Korbel can nail me with the same force as the others and I swear... it doesn't hurt at all. :confused:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You know... I almost always know "why". Even if the question is directed at say... Sakie. "cuz she is mean" :laugh: or "because she could". I have every excuse in the world for every bird. It's never their fault... doesn't mean I don't go in the other room and jump around yelling "damn" and "$%#@" because it hurts so bad. :rofl: I have a MUCH higher pain tolerance for the ones that get me often. Korbel can nail me with the same force as the others and I swear... it doesn't hurt at all. :confused:
Shocking!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hank always tried to amputate something in his earlier days. He was a very damaged bird.
Secret was the friendly bird..... or so I was told.

I remember her stepping from hand to hand (laddering), clamping down with both feet and ripping flesh from my hand. I fell to the floor to get her to stop. I was scared hubby would move them out so I didn't fess up what happened.

I was an idiot then. It was called over simulation.

She let me skritch her head tonight while she was on my lap! I did keep the T stick beneath my hand. I know the bait and switch routine.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful pictures. My wild caught GW was very timid and seldom bit. Once I had a friend over and she was wearing a cape. She flung it over her shoulder and Cracker Jack panicked, flying across the long basement to me, landing with wings completely out like he was hugging me. I was able to hold and hug him for a few moments. It was unbelievable.

He was enormous, but a gentle giant.

1580882361423.jpeg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I love Redheads. :hug8:

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Very pretty....crabby on the outside perhaps but there's always a touch of happiness somewhere on the inside.
Is Rosie with you and Joe or has she since passed away? I know she was old and had health issues but was well kept of course. I just wondered about her...I love them all but have a soft spot for GWs.

Very neat bird! @Dona

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Very pretty....crabby on the outside perhaps but there's always a touch of happiness somewhere on the inside.
Is Rosie with you and Joe or has she since passed away? I know she was old and had health issues but was well kept of course. I just wondered about her...I love them all but have a soft spot for GWs.

Very neat bird! @Dona
Rosie passed away 6/9/18 she gave us all the time she could.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Rosie passed away 6/9/18 she gave us all the time she could.
I am very sorry. What a terrific age to experience.
She had a wonderful life with you and it's so touching she was at home with you all and her person.
I hope Korbel is better and doing well.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our Scarlets have that same beak expression often this time of year! :(