• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

West Nile Virus found within two miles of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It was only found in mosquitoes so far and they say mosquitoes only travel a short distance. They're spraying a 1/2 mile radius around where it was found. I think my birds may still be done going outside for the summer. That is just too scary. I'll learn more about it before deciding. I don't know that much about it since this is my first time being in an area where it's a problem. I didn't even know it was a problem before this. I'm off to use google. I'll post what I find in case anyone searches it later. Does anyone have anything to add?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so scary,my Office Manager's Husband contracted it on Tuesday. I just saw him on Sat,and then to hear he's laid up so bad he can barely move is freaky,he possibly had to get a spinal tap today and it's very sobering that it really can happen to anyone.

If I remember correctly Janice's YCA died from WNV when she escaped and was later found.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

If I remember correctly Janice's YCA died from WNV when she escaped and was later found.
I just finished reading that thread. Very sad and scary.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
It sure is scary...I havent' brought mine outside for awhile...the mosquitos are sooo bad this year it is not worth the risk....Fall can't get here soon enough!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, how scary! An outdoor aviary with double mesh, 1 on the inside to keep in the birds and 1 on the outside to keep out the mosquitos would sure be nice. :o: Not a guarantee of course but I would think something like that used early in the day would work quite well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
We have had it here for years. It is my primary reason for not taking my birds outside:( The horses get vaccinated, which is the best I can do to try to protect them. My doctor thinks I had it as well, maybe 8 years ago? For me it was like having the flu, but it's fatal for our birds and can be for horses as well. I wish there was something more we could do about it.

The only good thing I can say this year is there are no mosquitoes due to the drought.

And of course if I see a mosquito in my house I go after it with a vengeance. It's a rare thing but every once in awhile one gets in through the open door as I go in or out I guess.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
It's in my area, too. I'm worried about the birds because we have a ton of mosquitoes around here, and they keep getting in my house. (I've seen them waiting around the front door when I get home...!) :( I am absolutely covered in bites, and I just hope that the mosquitoes are happy enough feasting on me that they aren't interested in the birds. I won't take them outside at all right now.. I was out there rinsing off cage grates the other day, and I had half a dozen mosquitoes on each leg within 5 minutes. Maybe it's time to start looking into mosquito netting? I could put it around their cages at night, perhaps...

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would worry rite now more about the spraying than the WNV .Wife had to go to hospital for a azhama attack she passed out while there there were like 10 more cases of attacks reported AND that can not be good for bird's

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I would worry rite now more about the spraying than the WNV .Wife had to go to hospital for a azhama attack she passed out while there there were like 10 more cases of attacks reported AND that can not be good for bird's
That is concerning. :( I honestly wish they wouldn't spray for mosquitos. Nothing worse than humans playing god with the entire ecosystem. Ugh.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Is bug spray bad for birds (not on them) but contact with us?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know for sure but I personally would absolutely avoid it. DEET can be hazardous for humans, I'm betting it could be all the more so for a bird.

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
We have had it in Louisiana for some years now and the human death toll is still high. It's 11 deaths in this area already. We live with mosquitoes most of the year but it's worse this time of the year. The bird death rate has dropped due to the mosquito control.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
14 people have died from it here this year alone...frightening....the birds do not go outside as a result....

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every evening MIke and I would sit on the deck while I grilled. The mosquitos could get pretty bad. Ever since they started reporting about this I put our food on the grill and come right back in. It is very scary.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Assume that everything with an odour (other than food) is bad for birds. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.