• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Went for a walk today

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Weather was nice, so I went out for a walk. Came across this little fella. Kinda looks like it might be still swallowing dinner?

I think it's an Indigo Snake.

20191017_161047.jpg

Oh, and we spotted this one a few days ago, too. This is a rat snake... probably out hunting for lizards or frogs (the lizard and frog population out here is crazy right now!).

20191010_143001.jpg

20191010_143342.jpg
Psst! Tell me when the people have walked away!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
4255.gif The indigo snake is really pretty, but the little rat snake face in the wheel is so cute!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're all very nice, by your house! :)

No, I'm not afraid of snakes & they serve a purpose (just like all the little bugs). Just ask that little field mouse the 1st one is devouring. Unless its a froggy... :eek:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
View attachment 317563 The indigo snake is really pretty, but the little rat snake face in the wheel is so cute!
That snake wanted to hide so bad! I thought he/she was pretty cute.

They're all very nice, by your house! :)

No, I'm not afraid of snakes & they serve a purpose (just like all the little bugs). Just ask that little field mouse the 1st one is devouring. Unless its a froggy... :eek:
My other half is always telling me not to get too close, but honestly there are very few snakes around here that could actually do anything. I just get close enough to get a picture and then move on.

The indigo was along the trail, about a mile away from home. The OH swears he saw a doe bolting away further up the trail (I never did see her) and we also saw a wild turkey on the way back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Gorgeous!! :heart: We have very few snakes that can hurt us up this way.... much more likely to get musked by a garter than bit by pretty much anything this far north :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cool :) A very interesting walk in your area then!

Hopefully he got out before anyone drove the car...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Cool :) A very interesting walk in your area then!

Hopefully he got out before anyone drove the car...
It's my car and I didn't have any errands to run that day. He skedaddled for the grass once we were gone.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I rarely find wild guys! Last one I found had netting on him and was a racer. Local wildlife place had to put him down since he was filled with maggots from apparently having the netting cutting into him so long the tissue had died inside.

The first looks like a racer and has a pretty blue/grey shading going on if you zoom in and a muted shine. Indigos are glossy and the head scales are pretty distinctive. Racers are smooth and pointy headed. Indigos are solid gorgeous animals in person very shiny...literally in your face shiny haha. Saw a couple at the show today. I’d be tempted to get one if I hadn’t heard about the daily poop painting haha. I love racers even though I don’t have any. They have really awesome scales if you ever hold one, very smooth/silk/soft (hard to describe really).

Shot of the distinctive face scales going on an indigo. Pulled off google. If you pull up the pictures side by side of the one you took with these you can see the difference right behind the eye easily.
5D35A1CF-4C81-49CB-BFA6-90F0C6819E0C.jpeg
F7C47637-38A0-49F2-AFC4-80EEA73A7960.jpeg

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I rarely find wild guys! Last one I found had netting on him and was a racer. Local wildlife place had to put him down since he was filled with maggots from apparently having the netting cutting into him so long the tissue had died inside.

The first looks like a racer and has a pretty blue/grey shading going on if you zoom in and a muted shine. Indigos are glossy and the head scales are pretty distinctive. Racers are smooth and pointy headed. Indigos are solid gorgeous animals in person very shiny...literally in your face shiny haha. Saw a couple at the show today. I’d be tempted to get one if I hadn’t heard about the daily poop painting haha. I love racers even though I don’t have any. They have really awesome scales if you ever hold one, very smooth/silk/soft (hard to describe really).

Shot of the distinctive face scales going on an indigo. Pulled off google. If you pull up the pictures side by side of the one you took with these you can see the difference right behind the eye easily.
View attachment 317733
View attachment 317734
You're right! That is so weird. When I was looking up the snakes in Florida, I saw several racers, but all of them had some sort of white under their chins or bellies. This one from what I could tell was solid black. I couldn't really see under it much, but to me it looked black all over.

Sad to hear about the racer with the maggots. :( What a horrible way to live!

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
He does look like he has a white lower jaw/lip and a little right behind the jaw on the neck. Color can vary in the same species by a decent amount.

Yeah I was so sad I didn’t find it in time! When it was dropped off they were hopeful it would bounce back quickly since they saw that same injury all the time and racers are tough. But when they got the netting off and were cleaning the wound they just kept pulling out the bugs and realized the damage was too extensive inside. He must have had that thing on for a long time maybe even grew into it and it cut him.
I’ve also found copperheads in the woods before but that’s been about the extent of my findings. I don’t actually go looking for them though I’m sure it would be fun!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Saw another snake a couple of days ago, but it was in such a hurry to move away, that it look like it was having a seizure. Didn't get any footage or pictures.

Today, however, we came across our first danger noodle - the cottonmouth/water moccasin. I'm guessing right at about 2 ft in length.

20191023_164149.jpg

20191023_164231.jpg

20191023_164312.jpg

Sorry for the blurry images. For obvious reasons, I kept my distance while slowly trying to herd the snake back towards the grass.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow - you have a lotta snakes over there!

We have 2 black racers in our yard. They're getting used to us talking to them. We named them Longfellow and Short fellow. There was a baby snake on the front walk recently but he zoomed away before any photos. We have red rat snakes but I never see them except when they get on the lanai.