• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wellness Clinic in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

patagonian

Hit the Road
Hello,

Chicago area residents should know that there is a Wellness Bird Clinic being offered at Bird is the Word Pet Store In Batavia by Dr. Scott McDonald on January 6, 2011 from Noon to 6 ...i believe he is the avian veterinarian for the Brookfield Zoo....What is everyones opinion on a wellness clinic..would that be exposing your birds to diseases by bringing them to the wellness clinic like that?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I wouldn't take my birds anywhere there were other birds like that. You're much better off going directly to the vet's office where everything is cleaned after each bird is seen.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I've heard mixed reviews about him....and I know he did a bird wellness fair for a small store/breeder around here that I don't feel has up to date standards. That plus this thread made me not want to ever see him... Ugh ... I could not believe my eyes

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I wasn't going to say anything about him but I guess they did that on the other thread. My Eclectus breeder has seen him in action at these wellness clinics and knows first hand that things don't get cleaned between each bird. Not to mention that surgical sexing really should be done in a vet's office, not at a wellness clinic.

For me, there are just too many negatives to this although McDonald is well known and well liked because he does offer these services cheaper, probably because he can get lots of people to come in. I personally wouldn't trust him with my birds but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.