• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That is so cool! Paco is.19, he talks, chatters, saya whew, hoots good morning when I get up. He can imitate a cat and dog, he now mimics the dog. Even though I keep a routine and speak to him he hasn't picked up any new words. Is he to old to learn new words?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That's good to know. Are Grey's prone to blood feather issues? I had a Cockatiel that spazzed out at night, had to have nigjtlight on etc Many times I've woken to a broken feather. My neighbor helped me with that. With a larger bird and a vet 1.5 hours away it worries me a little.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That's good to know. Are Grey's prone to blood feather issues? I had a Cockatiel that klutzzed out at night, had to have nigjtlight on etc Many times I've woken to a broken feather. My neighbor helped me with that. With a larger bird and a vet 1.5 hours away it worries me a little.
I have always kept my birds locked up at night. I also have some sort of night light on. Even the glow of a clock is enough.

That is so cool! Paco is.19, he talks, chatters, saya whew, hoots good morning when I get up. He can imitate a cat and dog, he now mimics the dog. Even though I keep a routine and speak to him he hasn't picked up any new words. Is he to old to learn new words?
We have a private zoo near us and a 40 year old Gray learned new tricks and words last year so yes they can. Having said that, not all birds are good talkers and some might never talk.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh he's a talker, just haven't heard a few things his previous owner said he says. When the.sun goes down he.really chatters. Some Saturday's he just chatters, mutters, whistles and responds to me.

I thought frequent showers helped with pin feathers.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
So far it looks like Tinker has turned over a new leaf in life. For the last few days he has stepped up and allowed me to put him in his cage.
Tonight I told him it was time for bed and I tried to get him to step up but he was not for it and fluffed up and lunged at me. LOL, I was ready and backed off. Teresa then got up and he stepped up for her and went right in.
This is a big change in routine for him and I am hoping it continues.

Finally got my computer and all my programs working fine in W10. Now to get that baby camera set up somewhere that Tinker won't try to destroy it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You can place the cam in a transparent plastic box and cover the wire with thicker silicon tube.
Or if you are handy make a box of plexiglass. (or at least the front)
If you make a cube you can attacked the sides with zip ties.
When you are done you just give it to Tinker and say: Here is a gift from me and you can chew on as much as you want. Hehehehehehe.....

Tonight I told him it was time for bed and I tried to get him to step up but he was not for it and fluffed up and lunged at me. LOL, I was ready and backed off.
I think this is great. :) You don't gave him a reason to be more angry at you or challenge him.
It sounds so stupid when you tell people to back off in those situations, but that is what works the best with parrots. :)

Is he to old to learn new words?
No he is not. :) But not all parrots talk when you can hear them. Have you tried to record him when you are away or are in another room?
They talk to copy our sound because they want to be part of our flock, so they don't have a reason to talk when we can hear or see them.
I think they are shy or don't know if they are good at copy our sound. I think they are less shy if you have them from a baby.
They can also be sad because those words reminds them of something that they lost or are negative in some way.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Another mile stone tonight.
Normally when we start to pick up his toys around 8pm he flies up to the top of the fridge. Tonight he stayed on the back of my easy chair and Terese said it's bed time. He stepped up onto her hand with no prompting and she carried him to his cage.
I think he is finally realizing this is better than trying to fight us off and there is always some tasty treat in his dish.
Routine is so important for this guy.

I have to admit though I do sometimes mess it up for him but he seems to not mind so long as he gets out to fly and play.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I agree, parrots thrive on routine, its how they learn as well. After 7 months Paco now scoots over when I reach for his cups (I think the owner fed him from outside of the cage through a little door at the seed cup) He has a water bowel now, not a water bottle hanging from outside. I can now clean his cage without getting pecked on the head. At night he knows when it's nite nite, I turn off the overhead light and the table lap. He hangs up side down and walks a little bit then he preens and then lights out. I have a touch lamp so it's gradual.

You gotta love these guys!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@Eloy
Just letting you know that Tinker has no problem going outside in the cool weather. I left the door open and he flew out to the safety area and proceeded to climb into his aviary. The first time it was 50F and he stayed out for an hour playing on his bong, today was 37F and he did the same but he didn't stay out as long. If I leave the door open he can go in and out as he wishes.
But having said that it won't be long before the door is closed till spring. House cools down quick. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I love to hear that. ♥
They can handle colder weather well if they get used to it, it's just we that believe that it's dangerous to them.
I had my girls out yesterday, but after 30 minutes they wanted in. It was windy and no sun. (57F)

I have a internet friend here in Sweden. He have 3 macaws (one HY ♥ ) and one cockatoo. He is going for walks with them (harness) even in the winter and they love it.

The video was great but I can't hear what he is saying, it is to low for me. But I hear that he is talking. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And now I'm on my phone and I can hear him pretty well. So the sound is great. He is a excellent talker with a very cute voice. ♥

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I'm on my phone and I can hear him pretty well.
I have a friend who has an I Pad and he can't hear the sound at all.
He seems to be ignoring the camera that I mounted just behind the TV. I'm hoping to get a way to mount it on the opposite side of the room to catch him chattering away on his day stand in the evening. He carries on so loud, I give up trying to listen to the TV when he starts.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco liks to chatter to himself as well. He really gets on a roll once it gets dark. Last night getting ready for bed he screamed bloody murder. That's the 2nd time he has done that. Dunno why he does it and it scares the bah hebbie jebbies out.of me.