• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Wow what a day this was with Tinker.
Someone must of sneaked in and pumped him full of sugar.
Was it sunny outside?
My girl's are the same when it's sunny, but if it's raining they are calm.

Stay safe! ❤

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Was it sunny outside?
My girl's are the same when it's sunny, but if it's raining they are calm.

Stay safe! ❤
Beautiful sunny day, best yet. Cloudy day today and he was better. I also outfitted his outside aviary with a new bong and toys and he loved it.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
UGH! Tinker has learned how to give me a nasty blood blister without bleeding me out. But I forgive him as he is moulting and has loads of pin feathers driving him nuts.
Thank goodness the weather is getting better as he loves being outside.
We are strong and we will get through this together.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Poor Tinker, his head is covered in pin feathers as well as his neck and chest. He took a good misting bath this morning and that seemed to settle him down somewhat.
He was much better with me and played well and also had a bit of sun time in his aviary.

20200401_153131.jpg

20200401_153127.jpg

20200401_153254.jpg

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He took a good misting bath this morning and that seemed to settle him down somewhat.
When mine are having a day full of being brats and screaming for almost everything I often decide that it's time for a bath.
That will always calm them down. :D

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here we are again with another milestone. Tinker is in a full moult etc but being quite agreeable at the same time. He has the freedom to go outside to his aviary or come inside when he wants if the temperature is ok. He doesn't bother if it is below 40 F and I don't encourage it as the house cools down anyway.
At the moment he is a fun guy to be with but after about two hours he wants to get into things he shouldn't. He's just like a kid and starts to try open cupboard doors etc.
We don't allow that and that's the time to go back in his cage anyway as I have human things to do.

Biting, well finally I can now say this has stopped. I think he has learned the difference between blood letting and having fun with me. Sometimes he pinches a bit but for the most part he has been careful with those dam sharp side cutters.

He did get a couple of keys of my new laptop this week as he was quicker than me. He just loves to destroy keyboards. I'll pluck him myself if he doesn't stop this dam game. They are 6 bucks apiece to replace. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so are a pain to change.

@Eloy as soon as I get Teresa to learn how to use my cell phone for a video I have something as a treat for you to see with Tinker and me. You will love it.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I never intended for this to happen but Tinker just couldn't resist coming over when I used this little vacuum. He now comes over everyday and enjoys a little body vacuum and even lifts his wings.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just can't believe what I just saw. :shocking:
He is one of a kind for sure. ❤❤❤

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He is one of a kind for sure.
He sure is! He seems to have lost his fear of whatever I do near him and wants to be involved in everything. I hope it keeps up as it makes him fun to be with.

I have been playing with his feet and saying "got your toe" as I touch them and I can now file his toes a bit at a time.
Today I watched him beak his toe and say got your toes at the same time.
Great fun for sure.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@ least he's talking actual words. Buddy's stories are clicks, I love you's in his Zon way, a few pops & kisses. Tinker makes me :joyful: His language is getting better & better!!!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@ least he's talking actual words. Buddy's stories are clicks, I love you's in his Zon way, a few pops & kisses. Tinker makes me :joyful: His language is getting better & better!!!
We have to be real careful what we say now. He listens to everything.
Funny thing is I have not yet got him to say "Terri" but he says "Tinker" quite clearly.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco heard him and he let out some kind of funny noise. He hasn't learned any new words, I have taught him two different whistles. He is 20 so I don't know if they get older they don't learn new words? @BertAllen how often and how long do you repeat a word before Tinker learns it?

He has his chatter moments, and really gets going sometimes. I can clearly hear, "Paco is a pretty boy" "What ya doing?" Says hello in previous owners voice and he mumbles, clicks and says some words I can't quite catch. He hoots like an owl when he wakes up and say "whew", he cracks me up.

@Rain Bow my Bugsy, that was with me for 25 years, she was a white front zon, never talked, she said hello one time. We had our own language though, I knew by the tone of her squawks what she was saying or if she was scared. She knew when I was leaving, took me a while to figure out how she knew, she would hear my keys jingle and would fly to her cage. She knew when she was doing something she wasn't supposed to, i.e. chew on the door. I still miss her and man could that bird scream.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
how often and how long do you repeat a word before Tinker learns it?
Teresa taught him to say David in a couple of days other things took a few weeks.
Every morning when I go to let him out I turn on the light above his cage and say "suns up". He has never said it at all and I said it from the day he came home.
In the last video I also think he is saying OWW in my gravely voice. If it is then it has taken him a long time to get it.
I really think it is all up to the bird really and their ability to mimic sounds. So far Tinker is good pretty good at what he wants to mimic.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco has imitated the dog, when the dog wants in he has a certain bark, he hasn't do it lately. Right now he is in Chatter mode, whistles like a tea kettle, he chirps when microwave dings, and makes a certain whistle when I vacuum around his cage. His latest sound is a very loud RANT don't know where he picked that up. He says Pacooo and sounds like he is laughing after he says it. They sure can be entertaining. The first time he hooted like an owl was when I got up in the middle of the night. I hear this whoo coming from the dark corner of the room, I busted out laughing. He does it every morning.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well here we are again and Tinker finally is saying "Tinker is my baby" quite clear now. He tends to say new things a lot till he gets it right. So I have been saying, "Terri is my baby" now for the last few days.
He finally said it quietly today and Terri heard it.
He also said, "morning Terri" this morning.

What a chatter box.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:laughing6:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love following your story with Tinker. He's an awesome bird and you have such a great relationship. Lucky all around.

And now go clean up the floor! :sweep: