• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
So here we are again and time for an update on Tinkers training efforts on Dad.

We have made some real progress this last few weeks because Dad has changed his tactics and I like them. I hate going back into my house even though it has lots of cool toys and the food bowls are always full. I really like to be free and fly around when I want, but when he darkens the room I feel safer stepping up and being placed near my big perch to step onto it. So that's what we do now every time.
During my out times though Dad never shuts my door if I go into my house to play, he comes over to play with me if he is home. I sometime hang upside down in the doorway and let Dad pick me up by laying in his hands on my back. This is fun but I don't stay too long and fly away.

I also have quit biting so hard, so when we play and I roll over for Dad now and he tickles my toes and chin. He doesn't stay long though as I get a bit excited and pinch sometimes. I have to stop that but it's hard not to.

I got this Good morning thing figured out as well. After Dad finishes with his cooking in the morning and has eaten, he cleans up his mess. I wait till then to say "Good Morning Tinker", Dad says it right back to me and soon after I get a nice warm breakfast with the odd thing I won't eat. Man he is slow to learn things.

I get bored real easy as well but Dad has three boxes, YEAH three boxes of toys and every once in a while he cleans up all mine and dumps a whole new lot I forgot I had out for me. Took him awhile to figure that one out as well.

Humans can be so stupid at times.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good job Tinker. Just remember you have to go slow with those humans. They are not very fast at learning things.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update. ❤❤❤
Sadly I couldn't add both a loving and a laughing like.

The video is priceless! :D
But I wonder if that is nesting behavior?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What is it about paper bags and boxes that are so fascinating to both cats and birds? They sometimes appear to enjoy them more than the actual toy. :bash: :bash: :bash:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
But I wonder if that is nesting behavior?
I don't think so as he is only 22 months old tomorrow.
Last night he was doing flying crashes into the bag when I stood it up and eventually flattened it.
Today he ignored it.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He seems to know how to entertain himself.
Oh for sure he does. He tore the bag to shreds today.
The weather is finally getting better and he wanted to go out so I opened the door and let him decide if it was to cold or not. 40F on the deck and he went in and out for a hour or so. Heating bill will probably kill me lol.
I'm so glad I built that safety cage around the garden doors.
20200303_095419.jpg

20200303_095022.jpg

He had a ball and I thought it was too cold.
Oh and yes that is at least 12 inches of snow in the background even after two day of heavy rain.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Wow what a week can do.
I have been able to get him to let me pick him up with no real biting. He seems calm when I put my open hand over his back and touch his wings while playing. I hope he is realizing I'm a nice human and won't hurt him at all.
He still hates going to bed at 8pm though and I have too turn down the lights to get him to step up and go into his cage. At least the bites are gentle.

Well the spring molt has started, I now have four red feathers, one flight and several seconday flight feather in the jar. We won't count the contour feathers and fluffies.

He finally moulted out the two main flight feathers that he broke months ago from a crash landing behind the couch. I hope they grow back soon so we can get rid of that gap in his right wing.

He wants outside to his aviary so bad these days. But it has been too cold lately. He seems to understand when I say "it's to cold out" and stops trying to follow me out the back door.

Today I decided to stay home and chill. He sat behind me for over an hour talking real quiet like and practised his whole vocabulary in nice quiet tones.
It was a real treat to just listen to him.

Oh and he has let me finally file one of his talons without donating my blood to the parrot foundation. Only one though but it's a start.

He is 2 this May 3rd, he has trained me well.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow what a week can do.
I have been able to get him to let me pick him up with no real biting. He seems calm when I put my open hand over his back and touch his wings while playing. I hope he is realizing I'm a nice human and won't hurt him at all.
He still hates going to bed at 8pm though and I have too turn down the lights to get him to step up and go into his cage. At least the bites are gentle.

Well the spring molt has started, I now have four red feathers, one flight and several seconday flight feather in the jar. We won't count the contour feathers and fluffies.

He finally moulted out the two main flight feathers that he broke months ago from a crash landing behind the couch. I hope they grow back soon so we can get rid of that gap in his right wing.

He wants outside to his aviary so bad these days. But it has been too cold lately. He seems to understand when I say "it's to cold out" and stops trying to follow me out the back door.

Today I decided to stay home and chill. He sat behind me for over an hour talking real quiet like and practised his whole vocabulary in nice quiet tones.
It was a real treat to just listen to him.

Oh and he has let me finally file one of his talons without donating my blood to the parrot foundation. Only one though but it's a start.

He is 2 this May 3rd, he has trained me well.
When grey grey gets talking when he is on me, I join in and we chat together. Quite fun.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker is just being an obnoxious, noise making, little brat the last two days.
He is into everything he sees and playing way to rough to let your fingers get near.
I will be glad when his spring fever and molt is over.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Tinker is just being an obnoxious, noise making, little brat the last two days.
He is into everything he sees and playing way to rough to let your fingers get near.
I will be glad when his spring fever and molt is over.
Grey grey has turn carpenter on me....chew the crap out of stuff he knows he shouldn't....

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco has been chatting more lately, I think its cause I have been spending more quality time with him when I have it. Trying to introduce new toys he can chew on but no success.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Yep we are in a spring molt. Ugh what a mess of feathers and fluffies. He is also wanting to feed me more and being very friendly this last few days.
I'm being careful not to excite him too much but also trying to make him realize I'm safe to be aound and play with. It's working right now.
We are both working on our social skills.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Wow what a day this was with Tinker.
Someone must of sneaked in and pumped him full of sugar.
He has just been like a hyper kid on steroids, oh my. Talking constantly whistling and flying about like a bird in a wind storm. He's been a bit too friendly and nippy today but otherwise not aggressive. I also think this moult is driving him crazy as we have had two baths with the sprayer this week. He also wants out into his aviary but it is only in the early afternoon right now that is above 39F other wise I would let him out.
23 months old and being a jerk. Oh well by 8pm he was tired and went to bed with no issues.

I tried to get a video of him acting out and being a fool but he attacked my phone each time and gave up.
May be tomorrow.

Last edited: