• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry, I really am. (Not! :smuggrin: )

Their is always worse sounds, perhaps it's not that comforting at the moment but after listen to this perhaps it is?

:faint:That's an incredible impression. This bird must have lived a long time with a real baby to get it down that good, even to the sniffely breaths. Wow. Now that would be an enjoyable sound to hear everytime somebirdie wants attention O.O

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker has always taken to attacking yellow pencils. Leave one out and he's got it in seconds and I have to get it back. It's all a game right.
I decided to make him some safe ones with no carbon or metal tips. Here he is seconds after seeing it on the table.
20200116_145348.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Finally after all this time and saying it every morning since he came home, when I start putting his breakfast together he said it today.

He must have said it a dozen times.

"Good Morning Tinker"
"Good Morning"

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That's awesome, I don't know if Paco will ever pick up a new word. He now has a new whistle, something I made up and I've played a video on YouTube of the Andy Griffith whistle, now he practices the whitstle, not in order but its funny.

I say the same things every morning and evening. Not sure if will ever repeat them. He hoots like an owl when he wakes up, says Paco is a pretty boy, Whew and will scream Paaaacooo. LOL The way he listens to me so intently with those eyes just amazes me the intelligence in them.

My Wild caught Amazon never talked but we communicated, its not a deal breaker for me (I've read that some people will get rid of a bird if it doesn't talk) I wouldn't trade Paco for anything, he keeps me entertained.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Tinker hatched May 3rd 2018.

No idea of the sex but we will treat him as a male till future evidence says different.
We have been visiting him every week for the last month. I believe that was the reason for his move to our home being so influential to his moving day. Today he had his first car ride of two hours and never seemed to flinch one bit.
His first two hours at home he sat and looked around and enjoyed some sweet corn fresh from the fields. He then tore into some sweet potato biscuits from the local pet shop. He then ripped apart some clothes line pegs minus the springs.

Looking around he saw the day play station I built and flew right up to it and was dazed by the view he had of outside over the front yard. He then had a nap. LOL

Flying around his new surroundings he landed on my bald head when I wasn't paying attention. Nasty 1" bleeding scratch was the result. In a couple of days he is going to learn about the nail file I used on my Amazons. LOL

So he finally needed to be put in his home cage and that went so well I was amazed. He now has his head under a wing and I swear he is snoring.

Tomorrow could be a whole different game but I think he is comfortable here.
Ahh he’s lovely and welcome home tinker xx

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've read that some people will get rid of a bird if it doesn't talk
Sad people. :(
I prefer to chose my specie for their personality. And even if they turn out to be the total opposite, the love for them is so strong so it doesn't matter.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Bugsy, my Amazon was given to me, (o-workers husband bought her from a pet store, she was wild caught0 I had a pair of Love Birds, a pair of Cockatiels, (hatched by my neighbor) He also gave me the Love Birds, his mom couldn't handle the screeching, a plenty of parakeets, it seemed like once people found out I liked birds they would give me their unwanted pets, really sad. Bugsy was my first large parrot. Paco came into my life from the cashier at the gas station, she wanted to rehome him as she no longer had time for him. I loved each one of them for their own personalities.

I joined a few FB parrot groups and I have read sad stories of what some parrots go through in their lifetime and it is heart breaking. I really wish people would really think it through before they get a parrot. I see so many posts in those groups they don't even know what to feed a parrot.

I have made many friends here and enjoy everyone's birds and their adventures with them, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy only says 5 words (I believe), I wouldn't change or get rid of him unless I was head towards destitute. Then I'd find him a home that could feed him & properly care for him or my kiddo would get an early before I die, feathered present.

My mental health depends on him just like his everything depends on me. I couldn't imagine a morning w/ out that tail expansion & the excitement he gets when the cover is open & he's usually on the carrier door before I even unlock it... I'm getting sad just typing & almost imagining.

What's wrong w/ people, no talk, it's all on those little faces & body language.

Zip --->" (blowing a Raspberry)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Buddy only says 5 words (I believe), I wouldn't change or get rid of him unless I was head towards destitute. Then I'd find him a home that could feed him & properly care for him or my kiddo would get an early before I die, feathered present.

My mental health depends on him just like his everything depends on me. I couldn't imagine a morning w/ out that tail expansion & the excitement he gets when the cover is open & he's usually on the carrier door before I even unlock it... I'm getting sad just typing & almost imagining.

What's wrong w/ people, no talk, it's all on those little faces & body language.

Zip --->" (blowing a Raspberry)
Yes. When people ask me if my birds talk I say "Yes, but not English".

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
So true! My youngest daughter always insisted that I was was nuts to talk to Bugsy, she would always complain, "mom, the bird does not understand you" Well I came home one night and she was all excited. She told me that Bugsy was misbehaving, probably chewing on something she wasn't supposed to like the top of a door. Julia, told the bird, "You better stop that or I"ll tell mom" She was all excited since the Bugsy immediately stopped chewing and looked at her. Never underestimate our "bird brain" friends!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Bugsy, my Amazon was given to me, (o-workers husband bought her from a pet store, she was wild caught0 I had a pair of Love Birds, a pair of Cockatiels, (hatched by my neighbor) He also gave me the Love Birds, his mom couldn't handle the screeching, a plenty of parakeets, it seemed like once people found out I liked birds they would give me their unwanted pets, really sad. Bugsy was my first large parrot. Paco came into my life from the cashier at the gas station, she wanted to rehome him as she no longer had time for him. I loved each one of them for their own personalities.

I joined a few FB parrot groups and I have read sad stories of what some parrots go through in their lifetime and it is heart breaking. I really wish people would really think it through before they get a parrot. I see so many posts in those groups they don't even know what to feed a parrot.

I have made many friends here and enjoy everyone's birds and their adventures with them, the good, the bad and the ugly.
I hear ya...some people really don't know what to feed specific breeds of parrots. Sparky, a grey, for example was fed parakeet food and cut up bread and kept in a basement.
Poor guy, no wonder when I got sparky he was the happiest bird you ever saw. And why he always said out loud. " I love you"! Sure do miss him. But he lived out a great life here with me. Fed proper diet, and has lots of attention. And was to vets every 3 months to monitor his progress. He passed of old age related illness.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ahhh, there he is! Hey Dave your set up like I am!! My kitchen island Grey Grey hangs out at. Basically because he knows food is prepped there. I keep a fruit basket on my island... Some times I reach for an Apple only to find grey grey took a bite out of three or four of them. Lol.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm not sure about greys, but wings down on a Pi means girl.
But I have always thought he was a male from your description.
Pi girls don't have that hormonal aggressive way that males have, but perhaps female greys have?

I know I read somewhere that you can separate sex with comparing tail feather and eyes. (And also head shape)
An old copy of bird talk magazine mentioned that about tail feathers as well. Females are a bit more ridged. Another way described is vent sexing, the parrot may be gently palpated along the pelvic bones, which are located behind the vent. If a dip is felt in the center, then the bird is likely a female. There is another way vets use called surgical sexing.
This method allows for direct visualization of the parrot's reproductive organs. The parrot undergoes general anesthesia, a small abdominal incision is made, a tube is inserted, and a fiber optic endoscope is fed through the tube. The surgeon is then able to visualize the gonads of the patient. Female parrots have one ovary, normally located on the left side, and male parrots have two internal testicles. The parrot is then tattooed on the wing to designate the gender. One of the advantages of surgical sexing is that the surgeon can also evaluate the health of the bird's major organs, such as the liver, spleen, kidneys, heart and lungs. The disadvantage of any surgery is that no anesthetic procedure is without risk, and the experience is stressful for the parrot.