• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
He is 19 do I need to look out for hormone issues? He is my first male.
I have no idea as this is the first gray I have ever had. All I know is it is a challenge to deal with these guys.
PS
I have no idea the sex of Tinker as I have not had him/her DNA tested.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oh I thought Tinker was a male. Oops. Paco's previous owner said he was sexed and had blood work done from first owner but she didn't have any paper work. So all I can do is assume she is right.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No oops needed, as we have always presumed he is a male until otherwise proven.
I'm not sure about greys, but wings down on a Pi means girl.
But I have always thought he was a male from your description.
Pi girls don't have that hormonal aggressive way that males have, but perhaps female greys have?

I know I read somewhere that you can separate sex with comparing tail feather and eyes. (And also head shape)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I know I read somewhere that you can separate sex with comparing tail feather and eyes. (And also head shape)
Back some posts ago I showed a picture of Tinkers new tail feathers with the silver edge on the tips plus his three shades of gray under his wings say female.
The breeder says male because he was last to hatch and first to wean. He has been breading CAGs for 40 years now. He was going to retire with Tinker being the last but his pair laid another three eggs so he let then hatch and care for them. He is done now.
My avian vet tells me that she has seen all this in males and the only way is a good DNA test for Grays as there is no reliable outward physical difference.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
For some reason, vids won't play here on my laptop. I can few them on other sites? I'm not worried about the sex of Paco, just don't want to find an egg one day at the bottom of the cage. I understand, laying eggs can become an issue.

Irenedee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Iris Maldonado
Hi, I Adopted a 45 year old African Grey a month ago and he seems to like my Husband and son in law. He‘s not very fund of me and bites me most of the time. I’m the one that feed him, give him his favorite treat (which he does take from my hand) clean his cage and take care of 100% of the time. How can I get him to like me and accept me?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi, I Adopted a 45 year old African Grey a month ago and he seems to like my Husband and son in law. He‘s not very fund of me and bites me most of the time. I’m the one that feed him, give him his favorite treat (which he does take from my hand) clean his cage and take care of 100% of the time. How can I get him to like me and accept me?
Keep doing what you're doing and make sure you're communicating with him and reading him right and he'll hopefully come to accept you. Birds do choose their favourite people so you might just need to live with not being The Chosen One. Also, it sounds like maybe he likes men over women - he's older so he might have had bad experiences in his past that make him feel that way. This might also make gaining his trust a longer process. You're still very early in the game though - all these things will switch around as he settles in within the next years so don't give up. :)
I'd recommend starting your own thread with this question - you will get more help that way. Welcome to the forum!

Irenedee

Real Name
Iris Maldonado
Keep doing what you're doing and make sure you're communicating with him and reading him right and he'll hopefully come to accept you. Birds do choose their favourite people so you might just need to live with not being The Chosen One. Also, it sounds like maybe he likes men over women - he's older so he might have had bad experiences in his past that make him feel that way. This might also make gaining his trust a longer process. You're still very early in the game though - all these things will switch around as he settles in within the next years so don't give up. :)
I'd recommend starting your own thread with this question - you will get more help that way. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for your quick response. you are correct. He was previous abuse by his first owners (for what i was told). I understand they do choose a favorite person. But i’m just hoping that he Will eventually like me too. I taught him A trick and my fathers favorite whistle. He learned them both within a week. He is sharp.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you for your quick response. you are correct. He was previous abuse by his first owners (for what i was told).
That's sad about his past. :( Glad he's safe with you guys now. <3
I understand they do choose a favorite person. But i’m just hoping that he Will eventually like me too. I taught him A trick and my fathers favorite whistle. He learned them both within a week. He is sharp.
That's great! For only being with you for one month that sounds pretty good. I bet your future with him is going to be bright :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But i’m just hoping that he Will eventually like me too.
He will. Just give him a reason to do so.
Be kind, be funny but calm, give him treats, don't demand anything at all, don't punish him, don't be angry at him, give him time and respect his personal area.
Play with toys so he can see it, if he comes near offer him that toy, sing to him, talk to him in a happy but calm voice.
All this to become his friend.

Very important! Avoid all bites!
He bites for a reason, if he bites just avoid that situation and it's telling him that you listen. That is a good start.
Good luck! :)

Irenedee

Real Name
Iris Maldonado
He will. Just give him a reason to do so.
Be kind, be funny but calm, give him treats, don't demand anything at all, don't punish him, don't be angry at him, give him time and respect his personal area.
Play with toys so he can see it, if he comes near offer him that toy, sing to him, talk to him in a happy but calm voice.
All this to become his friend.

Very important! Avoid all bites!
He bites for a reason, if he bites just avoid that situation and it's telling him that you listen. That is a good start.
Good luck! :)
Thank you for your advice!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
OH my I'm going crazy. Tinker demontrated his new noise today.

He also started saying this less than an hour ago.

"It's bed time" He is saying "it's bed tim" and sounding like the timer alarm right after.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry, I really am. (Not! :smuggrin: )

Their is always worse sounds, perhaps it's not that comforting at the moment but after listen to this perhaps it is?