• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I might try that. Its how I got him to eat cucumbers and other new food, by standing in front of him and eating them. I have been observing him more and more as I think we are ready to venture into getting to know each other better. I swear I think he is afraid of his stainless steel bowls. He creeps up to the bowl and then looks around before eating. Or is this normal behavior? I know birds are afraid of letting their guard down. I reminded myself today not to get discouraged. Paco hasn't had the easiest life in 19 years and all of this is new to him, food, toys, bowls. I forget Bugsy was with me 25 years and of course she was used to me. We are having fun with a new whistle and now that's all he does. It makes my heart glad though that he learned it from me.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker has been growing new flight feathers in that wing where he had broken some and then molted. When this happened he couldn't fly very well. He suddenly became dependent on me to get him around. Well not anymore.

A few days ago he figured out he can now fly around and get onto his favorite high spots in the house. He has also started to try nip me when I need him back in his cage. I have had to pick him up the last three days or so to put him safely away in his cage.

These guys are too smart for their own good.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Bert, love the photo. You are correct they are too smart. Every day I learn something about Paco and then other days I walk away shaking my head.

He is back to trying to bite me when I reach for his water bowl and is nipping harder on my arm when he steps up. I have an arm brace from when I broke my wrist last summer so I have resorted to using that, he can bite all he wants and I don't feel a thing. I'm hoping no response will teach him his bites are not effective?

I feel that I need to find some training videos or something to teach me how I can let him know I will not hurt him. I spoke with his previous owner yesterday and she said he never bit her. But then again she left him in his cage, had water bottle hanging on the outside of his cage and fed him through a little door on the cage. Too much change for him?

He is so sweet and nibbles brown rice off my fingers and then turns around and chomps my arm. Sigh..............

How long for flight feathers to come in? Paco is looking a little moth eaten, new feathers coming in on his chest and he is missing wing feathers, kind of a sad/funny sight when he stretches out his wings.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
How long for flight feathers to come in? Paco is looking a little moth eaten, new feathers coming in on his chest and he is missing wing feathers, kind of a sad/funny sight when he stretches out his wings.
Tinker grew one back in withing weeks of loosing it then one dropped out of the other wing when he was flying around. Right now he seems to be flying balanced out.
He had gaps as well and still has but much smaller now.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Paco's seem to be taking forever to grow back in, is this normal?
Yes. When my old vet cut Buddy's flight feathers it took almost a year & a half for them to fall out & grow back completely. I have a new vet now, particularly because of a host of issues but the main one was I asked her a ? & they were cut. No answer to my ?

I absolutely :heart: my new vet!!!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oh good, glad to hear it takes a while. I don't remember my Amazon looking so rough with molting and she was full flighted, never trimmed. His chest feathers are slowly coming in, he is really fuzzy like a newborn chick, and missing wing feathers, he is quite a sight right now.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker doesn't like it when dad is sick. He stays away from me now that he can fly well again.
I got a horrible cold that went into my chest and sinuses. Cold went away but the rest didn't. UGH!
I went into town 3 weeks ago to get a big bag of wild bird seed for the Jays, Cardinals, Finches etc. Picked up the 50lb bag to carry into my shop and hurt my back. Turns out I fractured T8 vertebrae.
Like this is just what I freaking well needed right now. Two days later I get one of those migraines that made me throw up for 24 hrs. That bloody well hurt my back. I'm thinking what did I do to deserve this as I can't remember p*ing off anyone this week.
So anyway the Doc did a full blood work on me and ended up putting on a antibiotic for a low grade infection. My sinuses are much better and I can breath better now. Back is much better but still sore.
Tylenol 3s sure mess up your innards though, not sure what's worse the constipation or those dam hemorrhoids. What a pita month this has been.
Anyway Tinker is now sitting on my knee at night again watching tv with me. I'm thinking he finally felt sorry for me, either that or he finally realized he didn't get his special yummy treats when he sat with me.

LOL lifes still good and I will be around to post some more.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Got some pictures of Tinker flying around using the burst settings on my phone. One of then you can see the gap in the right wing. Feathers are coming back though.
Tonight he finally dropped one of the broken main flights so that will now eventually grow back as well.
Left wing gap.jpg Nice tail.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Tinker doesn't like it when dad is sick. He stays away from me now that he can fly well again.
I got a horrible cold that went into my chest and sinuses. Cold went away but the rest didn't. UGH!
I went into town 3 weeks ago to get a big bag of wild bird seed for the Jays, Cardinals, Finches etc. Picked up the 50lb bag to carry into my shop and hurt my back. Turns out I fractured T8 vertebrae.
Like this is just what I freaking well needed right now. Two days later I get one of those migraines that made me throw up for 24 hrs. That bloody well hurt my back. I'm thinking what did I do to deserve this as I can't remember p*ing off anyone this week.
So anyway the Doc did a full blood work on me and ended up putting on a antibiotic for a low grade infection. My sinuses are much better and I can breath better now. Back is much better but still sore.
Tylenol 3s sure mess up your innards though, not sure what's worse the constipation or those dam hemorrhoids. What a pita month this has been.
Anyway Tinker is now sitting on my knee at night again watching tv with me. I'm thinking he finally felt sorry for me, either that or he finally realized he didn't get his special yummy treats when he sat with me.

LOL lifes still good and I will be around to post some more.
Yea, I remember when I had the sneezes and cold. My grey learned to copy my sneezes
Saying aaaahhhchhooooo! Then laughs about it. Silly bird!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Sorry you're sick. I was sick for a week, got over it and then I got a stuffed up head for almost 2 weeks now, I never get sick. Ugg.

I wish I could get a pic of Paco's wings. His left one is moth eaten looking with the fuzzy new feathers and he is missing about 4 of them. What a sight he is.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Tylenol 3s sure mess up your innards though, not sure what's worse the constipation or those dam
How well I know what you mean! I don't know which one is worse either. The hemorrhoids hurt like crazy, but the constipation causes them to flair up, so it's a tough call! Sorry for your pita month...we've had a pita year with this RV!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This year Tinker seems to have gotten stressed out with all the people on Boxing day over from the day. Since we eat at noon and have 8 toddlers and 14 adults over he was kept in his cage from 11am till 8:30 pm.
The next day I noticed he had watery poop. Not every time but off and on, he was also refusing to go back in his cage and escaped twice on me by flying past my shoulder when I put him in. He was not a happy camper.
Friday his poop seemed much better but he still fought me to go back in his cage.

No one fed him anything either as I made that quite clear and the toddlers moms were told he removes little fingers so keep them in the family room.

We seem to have cleared the hurdle and he is back to being Tinker again today. Poop is normal.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Toddlers and large family gatherings don't sit well with many. We love our grandson but he's a little wild and woolly and his mother does everything for him and doesn't say anything to him about behaviour or manners. He's an oversize (big for his age) 7 year old whirling dervish so we nipped that in the bud by putting up a sign on the bird room that says: "Beware of attack parrot" which solved the problem of anyone getting nosy and opening the bird room door.

Sun Tikki was the brave soul who was in the family room for their 3 day visit and at least he caught on that he wasn't allowed to attack the visitors (he got locked in his cage twice for trying).

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy birthday Dave! :brthdy::cngrt5:
I hope your day will be great with a lot of love from Tinker. ♥