• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Let's hope this is just his first big molt that this happen. :)
I'm hoping so as well. He doesn't trim or pull any out that I can see. Today he didn't lose any and he was preening carefully like normal.

I can feel pins on his neck and head and I try to spray him daily if he lets me.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well he has figured out how to move around today. If he can get within 6 feet of another landing spot he jumps and flaps. So far he hasn't figured out how to get to the top on the fridge or onto the upper cabinet doors when we open one.
He's back to his old chatty self and laughing.

No new feather loss today either X fingers it has stopped for a while.

He wolfed down a piece of Avi Cake and a good slice of pomegranate this afternoon. So things are looking good that he has decided to enjoy life as it is for now.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So things are looking good that he has decided to enjoy life as it is for now.
And that is because you raise him so good. ❤
You have been giving him freedom, love and teach him to be independent.
You have never made him helplessness in any way, that's why he adjust so well. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
So today Tinker has decided that Dad can carry him to the spots he can't get too at the moment. Mostly it's the top of the fridge. He stands on the center island and looks at it with his wings out a bit as if he's going to fly up and then chirps at me, he steps up and I put him close and he jumps off.

He is also playing real good with me, no bites and lets me touch his feet, why today while cleaning his cage he climbed up from the couch and while I had my head and shoulders inside he started to help me fold up his papers. After that he rolled over on his back to play while still inside so I tickled his feet and under his chin. He seemed to have a great time.

I have no idea why the sudden character change with him towards me but I like it. He steps up to go into his cage when I say Davids going to work the same at supper time when I say' it's supper time and at night when I say it's night night. We are in the second or third week now of this wonderful behavior. This is the only times that I close his door. I never close his door when he goes in by himself for food, drink or to just play with his hanging toys.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen Paco and I have had a set back. He has bitten me twice and I"m not quite sure why. Maybe I'm not being patient enough when he steps up? Or I have gotten so relaxed not watching his body language? There has been a change in my schedule, I"m home later, I'm watching my granddaughter in the evening so my daughter can work. Also the time change its darker earlier. Last night he lunged at my forearm when I was getting his goodie cup and fell off his perch, (total drama) Then he started barking time scream, it was short, like he was scared of something, each time I got up to see if he was o.k. I was going to post something last night, but I've come down with this sore throat, stuffy head crap, ain't life grand? I'll see how he does today. I will keep that in mind, I'm just afraid if I move my arm up and down it will scare him. I spoke to his former owner yesterday and she didn't have these issues with him. Now I am wondering am I scaring him? I'm a lot shorter then her, I am do clean his cage often and I took out his water bottle and put in stainless steel cups, too many new things? He has been here 7 months now. He sure keeps me on my toes.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@BertAllen Paco and I have had a set back. He has bitten me twice and I"m not quite sure why. Maybe I'm not being patient enough when he steps up? Or I have gotten so relaxed not watching his body language? There has been a change in my schedule, I"m home later, I'm watching my granddaughter in the evening so my daughter can work. Also the time change its darker earlier. Last night he lunged at my forearm when I was getting his goodie cup and fell off his perch, (total drama) Then he started barking time scream, it was short, like he was scared of something, each time I got up to see if he was o.k. I was going to post something last night, but I've come down with this sore throat, stuffy head crap, ain't life grand? I'll see how he does today. I will keep that in mind, I'm just afraid if I move my arm up and down it will scare him. I spoke to his former owner yesterday and she didn't have these issues with him. Now I am wondering am I scaring him? I'm a lot shorter then her, I am do clean his cage often and I took out his water bottle and put in stainless steel cups, too many new things? He has been here 7 months now. He sure keeps me on my toes.
It could very well be all the changes as he is a much older bird than Tinker. Like Tinker he seems to go through his phases so you will have to be patient with him.
Just remember he was your only distraction but you now have a Granddaughter in the house so he might be feeling a bit left out.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@Hankmacaw
I managed to get a good look at his right wing today. He has pins coming in where he lost primaries a short while ago. The area is still covered in contour feathers etc. No bald spots at all and he is not scratching or picking in that area. I did see one primary and two secondary that look broken and I have them in a box from weeks ago. I'm going to presume they broke off when he crashed behind the couch and he got into a panic to get out of that confined space weeks ago.
This might be the reason for him not having much lift in that one wing.

Either way he has learned very quick how to get around.
Today he climbed onto the couch then up the side of his cage to the top. This gave him the height he needed to fly the 15 feet to his feeding station for the Avi Cake I put in his cup.
I didn't offer a lift so he had to figure it out. It only took him 5 minutes to figure out the geometry and put it into action.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
X fingers but I think we have found a pellet that Tinker likes. I decided to buy a pound of Harrison s High Potency Course. I put 10 grams out in a bowl and pretended to eat some and he came over to steal some from me. He just tossed it across the table and flick the rest out of the bowl. I'm thinking well there goes 15 bucks down the drain.

So I rounded it up and decided to put it in his feeding station bowl as the only food for when I let him out right after supper.

Low and behold if he didn't polish it off and left nothing but crumbs.

He likes it well today he likes it. We will see what tomorrow brings. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Harrison's pellets are like cookies to Tinker. He is still picking them first before he takes Avi Cake or Nutri Berries.

I do not offer them in the morning with his chop.
Finally something I do not have to add to the compost box.

I do take the dust and small pieces to the wild bird feeders and they polish it off very quickly.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen Sorry for confusion, my granddaughter is not in the house. We are back to our old selves, guess I'm just getting used his moods. I too save the left over seeds of Paco and put on the railing for the wild birds, which reminds me that feeder needs to be filled. Paco has now feeling comfortable sliding down his cage and walking around. My room is not bird safe and I"m terrified of stepping on him. So I have these little tubes of cardboard he is afraid of and I have them stuck in his cage to stop him from getting on the floor. I hate doing that but its for his safety. He has picked up a new whistle, still trying to get him to say some new words. All in all his diet is better and he seems happy and getting used to my routines I provide for him.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
So here we are near the end of the 1lb bag of Harrison's pellets. Tinker is calling them cookies already as that's what we called them. I figure he is wasting at the most 30% when he is finished eating them.

Some of his feathers in the left wing are growing and he is starting to be able to fly up again. He's not ready yet to join the Top Guns yet but is getting there. He seems happier now as well.

Over all he is a different bird from a month ago. Talking more, much less snarky with me and going back into his house without any fuss.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Funny how both Paco and Tinker were moody, tis the season? So I've been trying to get Paco to learn some new words. No success yet, however he has picked up a new whistle and now that's all he does. Drives me bats sometimes. His bare chest is finally getting fuzzy with new feathers and his tail feathers are coming in. Still a struggle to get him to eat his veggies and fruit, he used to be good about eating them now so much anymore.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Funny how both Paco and Tinker were moody, tis the season? So I've been trying to get Paco to learn some new words. No success yet, however he has picked up a new whistle and now that's all he does. Drives me bats sometimes. His bare chest is finally getting fuzzy with new feathers and his tail feathers are coming in. Still a struggle to get him to eat his veggies and fruit, he used to be good about eating them now so much anymore.
Just keep doing what your doing as it is working IMO

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He hasn't learned any new words, but he is chattering more and more and getting protective of his cage. I open the drapes every morning and evening and he runs over to peck me. I know people say ignore bad behavior, I don't agree. CAG's are not stupid, I tell him no and he backs off.

Any tips on how to teach him that toys are to be played with? I have little bright colored chew blocks on top of his cage, he is still afraid of them, I handle them in front of him. I can't chew on them LOL that's a vision in itself. I am just trying to figure out a way to encourage him to play.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He hasn't learned any new words, but he is chattering more and more and getting protective of his cage. I open the drapes every morning and evening and he runs over to peck me. I know people say ignore bad behavior, I don't agree. CAG's are not stupid, I tell him no and he backs off.

Any tips on how to teach him that toys are to be played with? I have little bright colored chew blocks on top of his cage, he is still afraid of them, I handle them in front of him. I can't chew on them LOL that's a vision in itself. I am just trying to figure out a way to encourage him to play.
Other than play with them while he is watching it's all up to him. Tinker plays with all kinds of stuff but some he has never touched.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I pretended to eat Buddy's toys & that taught him. Say yum between & just hold it in front of you take a bite. You can do this w/ food he may be frightened of if you don't want to eat it (sometimes peppers get to me or tummys upset & it was my little trick)

All I've got on this tho.