• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I play Peek a Boo with Tinker when he starts playing with the newspaper and he puts his head under it.
I say to him "I see you".

Today while he was on his window ledge he started to say "Peek a Boo I see you".
My girl Taz plays Peek a Boo also! I can duck behind something or pop out from behind a door and she also say's "Peek a Boo. I SEE you!" It's really funny. She turns her head away from me and then turns back to look at me really fast! Then it's my turn to say "Peek a Boo" to her!

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
So Tinker has been refusing to eat his pellets lately. I decided two days ago to soak them well and mash up like potatoes. I then spread them on his morning chop and he ate 90% of them. I also soaked his birdie bread in Pomegranate juice and he gobbled that right up as well.

Not sure how long this will last before I have to figure out something else.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco's appetite keeps me hopping. He didn't want sweet potato for like a month. I did see him snatch a few pellets, but its not a lot. I'm always trying something different to keep his interest. I cut a red pepper in half and smashed black beans in it with other goodies and he ate that. I sneak in sesame seeds in his hard boiled egg, he gets one on Sunday.

He is a challenge and sometimes I could scream when I see him throw food without touching it. We tried pomegranate and he didn't like it. I tasted it and it was sour. How do you pick a ripe one? Same with greens, he won't touch chop. As he continues to get healthy new feathers I'm not worried, he has come a long way from a diet of bird seed in 7 months.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
We tried pomegranate and he didn't like it. I tasted it and it was sour. How do you pick a ripe one?
I cut the pomegranate in slices and give it to him where he can't fling the juice onto walls. I just buy them from the grocery store when they are in season.
The juice I just buy it in the bottle. Pure pomegranate no sugars added.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't know much about pomegranate and I don't know about your area but here they found the pomegranate juice wast not pure juice. Since I'm home I leave the squash and apples in his bowl a little longer and I can tell he has munched on them. The journey continues trying foods he likes, he used to love strawberries, now he won't touch one. Paco with Strawberry and orang on his nose.JPG
He has orange zest on his beak!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Snowghost. Have you tried blueberry or mango, Valentine loves them, I get the frozen ones (organic)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I thought you thawed them out completely?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No, When Valentine got her half tonite it was half frozen. She gobbled it up

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Hmmm I don't think Paco likes cold food. I know I spoil him. I take any veggies out and let them warm up a bit from the fridge. He gobbles up his veggie pasta, however does not liked cooked squash, he likes it in sticks, like his carrots.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yep, we got some spoiled babies....

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker is not a happy camper at the moment. I never thought he would molt so many main and secondary feathers on his right wing that it would effect his ability to fly. He dropped another 7 inch main as he flew around about 3pm. He came in for a fast smooth floor landing.

It appears he cannot gain much altitude to get on top of the fridge. Yesterday he tried and just lost ground and landed on the floor.

He has figured out that he needs to be within five feet of a counter to the other or basically anything else he wants to get to. He jumps and flaps.

He knows he can't fly as normal as you can see him working out his spots to try take off from.

Looks like I will be his elevator for the immediate future.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's pretty unusual, Dave. Birds generally molt from one side then the other to keep things balanced.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hmmm I don't think Paco likes cold food. I know I spoil him. I take any veggies out and let them warm up a bit from the fridge.
I do the same. :) I never give cold food or cold water. Always lukewarm.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That's pretty unusual, Dave. Birds generally molt from one side then the other to keep things balanced.
I have never seen a bird molt so it can't fly. They always molt their wing-feathers in pair.
The longest I have notice is one day for loosing both feathers, but they never molt any other wing-feathers until the "pair" is gone.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That's what he has been doing all along. I guess all I can do right now is watch him and see if he drops more.
He is flying a bit more but he sure has to work for it. It is wearing him out a bit more than normal but he appears to be taking it in stride.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Let's hope this is just his first big molt that this happen. :)