• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well Tinker is home. (Sad update post #865)

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
Tinker is like a Celebrity on here. Sure this is the post with the most comments.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Bert I just love your Aviary. I am jelly. Arno, I think all parrots are stars here! How long have u had your baby?

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well Tinker made it quite clear to me that Teresa is his favorite today. I wanted him to step up and go to his outside aviary this morning and he just looked at me as if I was some sort of idiot. Teresa says step up and carries him out to the aviary with no problem at all.

He is such an independent individual. The blood letting bites has stopped for me for now.
Recall to me is a lost cause at this time and I have no idea why as he has always come when I say come Tinker and snap my fingers.

But then again he is only 14 months old and I think now a juvenile delinquent.

I told him today that if he wants to go under the big trees he has to wear a harness. I think he told me where to go.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
LOL when I have to leave the house I tell Tinker that I'm going to work. Normally I have to darken the room and pick him up them place him in his house. Twice this week he has stayed on his play station and the stepped up and allowed me to put him in. I'm like really that was nice and easy.

So today I say I'm going to work and all goes easy again. I came back about 3 hours later and let him out to fly around and he flew right out to his aviary for the afternoon. Another first!

But after 6pm he is in the house sitting on the fridge and out of the blue says "David go to work".
For a Gray not yet 18 months old his vocabulary is certainly growing. It is very obvious that he is also realizing how much he can hurt with his beak. He has shown that by gently biting and then letting go.

I'm impressed with the gains we both have made this past few months.

Good Tinker.
20190828_125626.jpg

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinkers Vocabulary.

Tinker, Tinkeeer.
Hello
Are you OK
I'm OK
Whatcha doing
David
What
Tinkers a good boy
Good Morning
Be careful
Tinker go poop
Peek a Boo
Come on
Come here Tinker
Laughs like both of us
Sounds like a Cardinal
It's ok
Where you going
Come on Step up
Sounds like Chickoletta on Pawpatrol cartoons.
Is Tinker ok
Is David ok
David go to work.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Ok we have a new phrase this weekend.
Tinker go outside.
He flew out as well right after he said it as I had the main door open to his safety area.
He's muttering other things as well this weekend but they are not clear at all so I guess time will tell.

Temps are dropping here now so his outside time is getting shorter as I like to see 68F as a minimum for him. That's the temperature we keep the house at all winter and 78F in the summer. He likes it outside at 89F but anything over that he just seems to sit around like me.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Teresa has been playing with Tinker beside her while sitting on the couch. She has been trying to get him to roll over at the same time. Quite often he does and grabs a cardboard tube she is holding.

Well tonight, out of the blue he says "Tinker roll over". Now to get him to roll over when he says it LOL.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tonight Tinker has been a total PITA. If he saw it he wanted it or wanted to throw it on the floor.

He has a bowl on the coffee table that has stones in it and I put treats in there for him to forage for.
I took this video tonight after he had tossed it on the floor. It has been to heavy for him till he learned what to do tonight to toss it. This was his second toss. It's a 5 minute affair but you need to see what he has figured out. Sorry about the tv but I didn't want him to notice me with the camera.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh my gosh! I never expected that!

What is it with birds and flinging bowls?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:Tinker Dropped! :dance5:
Eventually :hilarious:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Oh the fun we are having this week. Tinker bit his bird sitter.
Now Don and him have gotten along fine since he came home but the other day Don came it to let him out a 6pm then put him away at 8. Well he walked by him and got nipped in the arm first. Then he tried to get him to step up and got two nice little blood letting bites.
I was in Toronto and he calls in a panic LOL. I said to him welcome to my nightmare and then told him to leave the tv on and turn out the lights. All went well then.

This morning he was on his perch by the table and I went out to but food in his bowls outside.
Tinker says "David go outside" twice and it was plane as day, I thought Teresa was saying it but she wasn't home.

Oh summer came back this week so he's getting lots of sun and fresh air. Won't be long and he will be stuck inside till spring.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You know that you can have him out even in the winter if you make him used to it?
He will not freeze or be cold if you place him in the sun for 5-10 minutes, that is what I do and have always done.
I believe the sun/light and the fresh air is very important to them.
The weeks here without any sun in the winter I see that they are not that active and happy.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
You know that you can have him out even in the winter if you make him used to it?
He will not freeze or be cold if you place him in the sun for 5-10 minutes, that is what I do and have always done.
I have been leaving him out when it cools down but come November we could be in the sub zero levels and thinking the aluminum frame and the wire might be to cold and his tongue might stick to them as he climbs around. But the sun does warm up the deck some days by 2pm so just might try it.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well today I'm at my wits end. Tinker started to attack me this morning. I had to go out at ten and I had to get Teresa to put him in his cage.
I got home at 1pm and let him out. All is good and then he flew 20 feet and bit hard at the back of my head and then he flew in a circle and bit my arm. He then flew at my face and I had to duck. Teresa put him back in his cage an hour later.
I just let him out and he bit me as he stepped up then proceeded to start the flying attacks again and bit me twice more.
Right now he is on his feeding station having his birdy bread but I don't trust him at this moment to take my eyes of him.
I'll be back later as I need to clean the blood off my keyboard.

By the way he is now molting flight feathers.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry.
It really hurts when they are attacking us, but try not to take it personal. :bighug:

Have you done something different?
Wearing new clothes? Change your hair?
He must attack you for a reason, try to find it.

And what do you do when he attack you?
You must let him know that it's unacceptable but you must be calm and not angry doing that.
Ignore can work but I think it's better that he got some time out from you.
I hope he soon is nice to you again. ♥

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
The only thing that is different is I have Teresa's cold and a hoarse voice with a dry cough. YUK!
I'm almost bald and shave my head LOL.
I ducked when he last tried and said, NO stop that.

I just let him out of his cage and he stepped right up, then flew over to his day station. I went and sat at the table and he is now behind me on the chair back eating a walnut while I type this.