• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well then.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I don't know how much my observations are worth yet :roflmao:

Day One: They shoot poop, and can get some decent distance on it. Also, the sounds may make your eyes bleed.
:roflmao::wacky: my Penny quaker rescue woul shoot poops at me ! Several months of that! To this day if she can get to me to poop on me she does , she trys to save all her poops for when she sits in my shoulder!!!

And her screaming.....also rattles the eardrums! And quakers can keep that up for hours and hours !

I did foster a nanday...very loud screeching, but didn't keep it up nonstop...

I hope they are healthy enough to find a new home together. There is a lid for every pot!

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Sweet wet chickens. Conures love their baths! You've got the loudest of the conures. In my experience Jenday and Gold Caps don't have that high ear piercing scream. Tikal has never made that noise in his life; he gets concerned around Sun Conures. I'm glad they are setting in a bit even though your ear drums are likely bleeding. :roflmao:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@webchirp can sometimes makes a good guess about conure gender. Has to do with the shape of their head and eye ring, I believe
But then when I’m wrong a poor girlie has to live with the name Boober.

I think they said if the head is flatter and not so rounded it could be a boy. But mostly I have a couple of ah cheeks open to multiple mates and will tell me who is female or male. That’s how I realized Boober was likely a girl. Maks was making moves. Jewel does not tolerate girls and will check out boys.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
I loved my jenday even though it was loud and obnoxious I learned to deal with it and now I miss the calls and overbearing attitudes (been gone a LOT of years now). I was given pretty bird from my stepdad got him from who knows where had never had a bird before and boy was pretty bird a mess. They do not get quieter but in my experience they do get calmer which leads them to scream less. Got the green cheeks now ( recently happened) and they can be loud but they're in my room since I have cats and dogs that I don't trust around them. I leave them out most of the time so they really don't yell only when they have a squabble or hear me walking by. Jenday are apparently the loudest things ever but I think it's like anything I learn to tone out the noises u don't want to hear (like a child throwing a tantrum) eventually u don't notice. I realized in my older age and getting bitlrda again I've had all the "loud and obnoxious" kinds that people return but I guess I never knew there was a quiet version . U can make them be quiet from my experience by figuring out how to make them stop wanting to yell. They're not going to ever not make the noise just less. Pretty bird was really not locked up a lot which idk how all the cats, dogs and birds just coexisted then (wish I remembered how I did that as a kid) so he would pretty much yell "here I come" and to me he came. Everyone hated that bird though cause he was mean to everyone, he would be loud with other people in the house because I had to keep him up if he was overly aggressive (would fly at people and attack certain people). Cover the cage or move it from places when that happens is what I did I do remember that. U might learn to love them but I've had a cockatoo that was WAY quieter in tone but made noises literally all night that people were bothered by and I found relaxing. U have a big heart dealing with the headaches but some people can't deal with the tones at all which is totally understandable. I miss mine and yes I can still hear the yelling all these years later

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck with them :cool:

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Me: Oh they're already mid-20s, I'll just keep them. It'll be fine.

Four hours of teeth vibrating squawking later: N O P E.

I don't know how y'all conure people do it. We were in the car for four hours and I think I'm deaf. Literally - after they scream I can't hear anything for a second.

Here's what I know about them: They're between 22 and 25 years old. The previous owner passed, she'd gotten them from a pet store (since closed) and had them for over 20 years. One is male (Pedro) and one is female (Margarita). I don't know which is which. They both appear to have some feather issues - the jenday looks to have thinned out feathers around the neck/shoulders, the sun's wing tips look very ragged, but I can't tell if that's from barbering or from poor space/other issues.

Also, the sun bit me :roflmao:
Never never never ever ever ever get in a vehicle with any bird without EARPLUGS! Good Ones!

That's the first thing and the second thing is always make sure that you have a light blocking cover just in case you need it. Covering a bird will calm them down a bit and cut out some of the noise!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My Amazon Rhaenyra shoots poo every now and then and its big ..my other birds dont and it was an experience when she did this every day for a week then she started only doing it every now and then :cool:

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
Never never never ever ever ever get in a vehicle with any bird without EARPLUGS! Good Ones!

That's the first thing and the second thing is always make sure that you have a light blocking cover just in case you need it. Covering a bird will calm them down a bit and cut out some of the noise!
U know in all the birds I don't think I've ever had one screaming in the car lol. I did have one I got scream a couple times but it was at the drive thru cause I was starving on our way home and I asked her to hold on a second and she wanted to put her 2 cents in I guess. It was actually kinda hilarious cause when they brought me the food they were like look she's got a bird! And the lady was like yeah it was talking to me I was dying.