• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, I took the plunge!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that :(

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
We’ve got some trust building exercises ahead of us.:huh:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We’ve got some trust building exercises ahead of us.:huh:
It will come :) Hiccup has been through a lot and needs some kind and gentle stability. Time is your friend :smileflower:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m taking Hiccup to the vet for his first well bird check today. Wish us both luck:wideyed:
Good luck! What vet do you go too?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hope all goes well!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Update on vet: the office called and said the vet had a respiratory ailment of unknown origin and that all bird appointments were postponed. I use Lake Air Animal Hospital. Drs Frey and Emerson deal with the exotics, as my birds are referred to. They’re both really conscientious and seem to be up on their research (@April ) . Are you nearby?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update on vet: the office called and said the vet had a respiratory ailment of unknown origin and that all bird appointments were postponed. I use Lake Air Animal Hospital. Drs Frey and Emerson deal with the exotics, as my birds are referred to. They’re both really conscientious and seem to be up on their research (@April ) . Are you nearby?
Oh no that's unfortunate that you couldn't go to your normal vet :(. I use Dr Osofsky at Carrolton west animal hospital in Carrolton.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
:cngrt5: Oh I missed this thread, congratulations!!! I actually have met Hiccup before you adopted him and I am so happy for you guys! I am looking forward to more updates about him!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
We survived our vet trip yesterday. Hiccup was NOT interested in climbing into the travel cage. After some biting and screaming in protest, we made it into the cage and then the car. The clinic is operating by curbside, so I sat in the parking lot awaiting Hiccups return. The vet tech loved him...I mean, how could you not:rolleyes:. He weighs 100 grams they complimented his good looks. I agreed. He wants to get close to my conures. Gus will have nothing to do with Hiccup but Max has shown some very defensive behavior. I have had to work out a schedule for out of cage time...it’s a work in progress and not even close to perfect. I have so much to learn:unsure:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Hiccup is male according to the dna analyses. He’s healthy and loves to sit on my finger and will try to share a hot meal with me...:barf:. I’ve got him target trained so I can more easily change out food bowls. He steps up and whispers in an excited manner, as if he’s telling me a secret. He makes kissing noises, whistles, and says thank you when I bring him breakfast! He’s a big ole goof ball. I’m still trying to suss out his body language. He doesn’t seem to want to play with me when he’s out, but he actively plays with his toys. I hung the grass mat like a hammock and he runs around on it and makes me laugh. He attacks feet, or anything that moves, if he’s nearby. He has these “conversations” in his own language and is super affectionate and seems to want me to pet his head. It’s still very new to me, but we’re making it work. Oh, and he’s very clear about protesting if I’m not catching on to whatever he wants. I feel like I am in the presence of a toddler. Smart, silly, goofy, clumsy, loving, impatient, fussy....I love him:swoon:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Some how I missed this congratulations.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Hiccup is male according to the dna analyses. He’s healthy and loves to sit on my finger and will try to share a hot meal with me...:barf:. I’ve got him target trained so I can more easily change out food bowls. He steps up and whispers in an excited manner, as if he’s telling me a secret. He makes kissing noises, whistles, and says thank you when I bring him breakfast! He’s a big ole goof ball. I’m still trying to suss out his body language. He doesn’t seem to want to play with me when he’s out, but he actively plays with his toys. I hung the grass mat like a hammock and he runs around on it and makes me laugh. He attacks feet, or anything that moves, if he’s nearby. He has these “conversations” in his own language and is super affectionate and seems to want me to pet his head. It’s still very new to me, but we’re making it work. Oh, and he’s very clear about protesting if I’m not catching on to whatever he wants. I feel like I am in the presence of a toddler. Smart, silly, goofy, clumsy, loving, impatient, fussy....I love him:swoon:
Awwww. Thank you for the update, you made my day. I am so, so happy for him.:cloud9: