• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well, I guess it's time to spill the beans.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
When you took the bird in, you either told them or implied that they could have the bird back. You were a foster, not a rehome. If care or conditions are an issue, you need to have a frank discussion with them and educate them in a non-confrontational manner. How would you feel if you placed a bird with someone with the understanding that you could get it back in the future?

Everybody that posted that you should keep the bird would FLIP if you they were in the original owner's shoes. I know that I would.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Very different but understandable viewpoint. I have actually been in that position with my Indian runner duck. We explicitly agreed that she would foster. It was not problem, even after years she said she would still be fine with her going home with me again. We agreed she would stay later as she had a much better life with the lady, my garden is not even one tenth the size of the area she had available with the lady. Then the day came that lady could not keep her, I wanted her back, still missing her every day but wasn’t allowed. I content myself that she is still living her best life even though it is not with me. I have received pictures of the home she is in, the lady placed her with family, and she has all the space she could wish for. It sucks for me, but she is happy and that is what matters most.

How the agreements and care is in this situation is I would not know, but I would base my decision on who can offer the best life the both birds, and who is most likely to be able to keep them in the future. You can’t predict the future but certain circumstances make it more difficult to keep parrots.
Perhaps the lady in my case felt as you do, torn as she has no doubt grown to love her, and felt I was not a good enough owner for her.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
While I agree with aooratrix, I still say wait until after New Year's. People get nostalgic & sentimental. If they're still up for it next year that's different.

My coworker had health issues & had such an arrangement for her cat. Person declared they were a better home & kept him. She successfully sued to get him back.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also agree with @aooratrix .

If the previous owner was really mistreating him that would be one thing but in the end it sounds to me like she took care of him OK (this is a bird forum so our standards are much higher!). We've had members here who gave their birds as fosters - life happens!

I think it would be best to be open with her, explain the situation with Pudge but offer to return Burt alone for a trial period. Then decide together what to do if they miss each other too much.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it would be best to be open with her, explain the situation with Pudge but offer to return Burt alone for a trial period. Then decide together what to do if they miss each other too much.
Thats a great shout, i would go as far as describing the potential behaviour change that might be seen in Burt.

I wouldnt give pudge up myself the original owner struggled with Burt at one point and might struggle again adding another bird to the dynamic will change things massively.